I know iPhone supports widgets on the lock screen (or at least I think it does.) Is it possible to have things like weather widgets right on a page along with apps? Is it simple or does it require jail breaking or something? I am an Android user but I am helping my wife set up her iPhone. Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for your help!
    10-30-2014 09:32 PM
    Widgets can be put on the "notification screen" (the slide from the top) only. If the device is "jailbroken" widgets can also be put on the lock screen.
    Sekelani Zwambila likes this.
    10-30-2014 09:58 PM
    OK, thanks....but she'll be disappointed.
    10-30-2014 09:59 PM
    OK, thanks....but she'll be disappointed.
    You can do it if you jailbreak the phone, but in native form it is not possible. If that kind of function will make her disappointed, maybe she picked the wrong phone? I've never really seen the appeal of them myself.
    10-30-2014 10:39 PM
    Simplicity
    10-30-2014 10:40 PM
    Simplicity
    EXACTLY....Good answer OP...GOOD answer.
    10-30-2014 10:52 PM
    EXACTLY....Good answer OP...GOOD answer.
    Pretty much every modern smart phone is as simple or complex as you yourself allow them to be...it's not like you take the Android based devices out of the box and you have to have a degree in OS development to use them.
    10-30-2014 10:58 PM
    Don't be mislead by my answer. I am a confirmed Android user but it is my hobby. Part of the reason I like it is it IS tricky and there is always more to learn. I like that nobody else's phone looks just like or does exactly what my Note 3 does.

My wife otoh wants the phone to just work out of the box. She wants her pictures syncked and her games and apps available easily in one predictable place. It is true her phone is not as simple as she thinks. I had to set up itunes and file syncing for her but her phone needs nowhere near the maintenance nor attention mine does.

I don't recommend Android to people who have no interest in individualization nor learning about widgets and browsers and launchers and rooting and roms and on and on.

If you don't have the time or inclination to make your phone do "tricks" nobody else's can then iPhone does the job. Right now it is also the "coolest" device by far, ironically because Apple dragged its heals so long on making bigger screens imo. The sudden availability of something Android has had for years has made 6 and 6+ insanely popular.
    10-30-2014 11:10 PM
    The iPhone was always "insanely popular", the introduction of the larger screens just pulled more traffic away from the Android offerings. And honestly, I wasn't mislead at all...I was just explaining that if I wanted to, I could do pretty much everything you can do on your Android based device on my iPhone...if i wanted to. Jailbreaking pretty much opens all the customization options up to no real end. I just personally have no real need to myself, but some of the things people do after jailbreaking make the iPhone just as diverse for customizers as Android based phones are, just not in a native form.
    TheFirm likes this.
    10-30-2014 11:23 PM
    I'm not trying to start an argument but every iphone I see looks the same. Individuality is not the selling point of iphones. You don't have to root an Android phone to put widgets on any page or every page. I appreciate the help. A friend who uses iPhone told me "iPhone uses widgets now". I thought he meant on the homescreen. If you have to pull something down or shut off and turn on the screen to see 5he widget it defeats the purpose. I like to glance at my homescreen and see the weather and a huge clock and calendar without pushing a button or pulling down a notification bar.

That said the uniformity and simplicity of a bunch of little squares in a regular pattern on every screen has an appeal. I mean that I am not being sarcastic. I have even used an iPhone theme on my Android phone MIUI. It is neat and clean and just as cool as your friend's iPhone and Jennifer Lawrence's iPhone.
    10-30-2014 11:34 PM
    I never said it was the selling point, I simply said that the iPhone can be as complex as you want it to be if you jailbreak it (which is a pretty simple process). For instance, widgets running on the iPhone home screen is something that's been around for many many years...here's an example on a 4S from a couple of years ago...

Widgets on Home Pages?-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1366401434.315886.jpg

...I mean I get what you're saying, your wife wanted a simple experience natively...all I'm saying is that the iPhone can easily be a complex device if you want it to be, just like an android based smart phone.
    10-31-2014 12:21 AM
    The iPhone was always "insanely popular", the introduction of the larger screens just pulled more traffic away from the Android offerings. And honestly, I wasn't mislead at all...I was just explaining that if I wanted to, I could do pretty much everything you can do on your Android based device on my iPhone...if i wanted to. Jailbreaking pretty much opens all the customization options up to no real end. I just personally have no real need to myself, but some of the things people do after jailbreaking make the iPhone just as diverse for customizers as Android based phones are, just not in a native form.
    I pretty much we're with everything in this post. I'm a former android user who found widgets useless and customization to be pointless and boring after a while.

Sent from my 128gb iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk via Sprint Spark
    10-31-2014 04:24 AM