so my original 6 plus had a defective earpiece, so apple has mailed me a new one as a replacement.

i know it's probably way too soon for refurbished 6 plus units to exist, but is there any way to know for sure?

also...my serial number begins with FK1. Does anyone know which factory this code represents?

thanks for your help!
    10-27-2014 11:37 PM
    so my original 6 plus had a defective earpiece, so apple has mailed me a new one as a replacement.

i know it's probably way too soon for refurbished 6 plus units to exist, but is there any way to know for sure?

also...my serial number begins with FK1. Does anyone know which factory this code represents?

thanks for your help!
    There's no way of knowing...nor does it matter at all. The refurbished units apparently go through better QC than the original units for the specific reason that they are most likely replacing a faulty unit. There are no longer any ways of identifying refurbs by any numbers related to the phone. If having a non-refurbished device makes you sleep better at night, then that's the story you should go with.
    10-27-2014 11:42 PM
    Ah don't even sweat it. Apple refurb process is not the same as other manufacturers. If anything I would take a refurb over new. The QC process it goes thru is enough to make it better. Enjoy your plus .
    10-28-2014 03:26 AM
    You got the Chinese knockoff that runs Android with the iOS skin. lmao
    10-28-2014 08:42 AM
    Agree with above posters. Apple refurbs have to meet way high standards. You shouldn't need to worry. But seeing as the phone just came out a few weeks ago, I'd guess it's probably not a refurb.
    10-28-2014 08:43 AM

thanks for your help!
    You got a refurbished phone.
    10-30-2014 12:45 AM

thanks for your help!
    Mine came from FK also.

Question: is your phone's screen have a blue tint to it and super bright?
    10-30-2014 12:46 AM

thanks for your help!
    Factory: FK (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn). Mine also starts with FK

All service unit (replacement unit) model number will start with N. It shouldn't matter anyways because whether you get a refurbished unit or not, there is no way to tell whether it's new or not. I would not go as far as calling it a refurbished, but it's more of a service unit (that's what Genius calls it). Pretty much it's a new casing, new battery and new screen and goes through testings then a brand new one (hit or miss).

For me I prefer the service unit any day. But of course they can always have problems too.

If you run the serial number on the chipmunk site it will tell you what week it was made and from there you can decide for yourself when it was made.

Last time I had to get my 6 Plus replaced, I got a week 37 unit. Therefore it's still brand new. They just have a separately line just for the replacement units.
    11-02-2014 10:39 AM
    Factory: FK (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn). Mine also starts with FK

All service unit (replacement unit) model number will start with N. It shouldn't matter anyways because whether you get a refurbished unit or not, there is no way to tell whether it's new or not. I would not go as far as calling it a refurbished, but it's more of a service unit (that's what Genius calls it). Pretty much it's a new casing, new battery and new screen and goes through testings then a brand new one (hit or miss).

For me I prefer the service unit any day. But of course they can always have problems too.

If you run the serial number on the chipmunk site it will tell you what week it was made and from there you can decide for yourself when it was made.

Last time I had to get my 6 Plus replaced, I got a week 37 unit. Therefore it's still brand new. They just have a separately line just for the replacement units.
    This is simply not true. When the iPhone 5 was released, about half way through the production line, serial numbers with "N" began to roll out, creating the theory that those were the serial #'s of the refurbished units...except people who were buying brand new iPhone 5's from the store were also getting these "N" serial numbered devices. Turns out, the new serial number prefix was simply a reflection of a mid model change over to accommodate Tmobile service (as reported by Apple themselves that year)...and since then, serial numbers have been eliminated as ways to define whether a device is a new one or a refurb.
    11-02-2014 08:00 PM
    Yep furby
    11-02-2014 10:26 PM
    This is simply not true. When the iPhone 5 was released, about half way through the production line, serial numbers with "N" began to roll out, creating the theory that those were the serial #'s of the refurbished units...except people who were buying brand new iPhone 5's from the store were also getting these "N" serial numbered devices. Turns out, the new serial number prefix was simply a reflection of a mid model change over to accommodate Tmobile service (as reported by Apple themselves that year)...and since then, serial numbers have been eliminated as ways to define whether a device is a new one or a refurb.
    Um. No. Because when I had my 6 Plus replaced back in September. I have received service unit with a model number that started with N. So I'm assuming all replacement units from the start does start with N. I have never seen a retailed box unit that started with N. I've looked online and there is no indication of retailed box that started with N.

According to this site: iPhone 6 Models (A1549, A1586, A1589, A1522, A1524 and A1593) Differences

It lists you all the model number possible and I don't see anywhere that start with N. Unless you know a site that does.

IIRC back in the 4 and prior, any serial number marked with 5K meant it was a refurbished unit. I don't know if that is the case with 4S and up.
    11-03-2014 08:16 AM
    Um. No. Because when I had my 6 Plus replaced back in September. I have received service unit with a model number that started with N. So I'm assuming all replacement units from the start does start with N. I have never seen a retailed box unit that started with N. I've looked online and there is no indication of retailed box that started with N.

According to this site: iPhone 6 Models (A1549, A1586, A1589, A1522, A1524 and A1593) Differences

It lists you all the model number possible and I don't see anywhere that start with N. Unless you know a site that does.

IIRC back in the 4 and prior, any serial number marked with 5K meant it was a refurbished unit. I don't know if that is the case with 4S and up.
    You are absolutely and 100% wrong. There are no serial number indicators to identify refurbished models.
    11-03-2014 11:00 AM

thanks for your help!
    How about just ask them if it's refurbished? lol
    Hiri89 and That70sGAdawg like this.
    11-03-2014 01:37 PM
    You are absolutely and 100% wrong. There are no serial number indicators to identify refurbished models.

Yep, and a whole new case would have to be made with that new serial number printed on it. They don't scratch off serial numbers and put new ones on there when it's a replacement.
    11-03-2014 02:09 PM
    How about just ask them if it's refurbished? lol
    Hey, we could ask!
    11-03-2014 02:09 PM
    Refurbished are has new

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    11-04-2014 07:34 PM
    I picked up my brand new iPhone 6 Plus on October 21st. It would not log in to iCloud, and when it finally did, iMessage and FaceTime wouldn't activate. I went to the Apple Store and they tried to help me when I didn't even have an appointment. When that didn't work, they set me up an appointment and said see if iMessage would finally activate the next morning. Well, it didn't. So I showed up to the appointment, and after discussing it with the Genius, she checked stock, and found 1 left in stock. Model # starts with N, but I know it's a brand new unit. And yes, once I set it up, iMessage activated without a problem!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
    11-08-2014 12:06 PM