Is 1GB of RAM the reason why my apps keep relaunching?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This has become an increasingly annoying issue since day one. I notice that if I go back to an app after maybe about 15 minutes or so after using it, it relaunches and I lose my place in the app. Feels very pre-ios4. I recently (and reluctantly) set up my phone as new and the issue continues. And it's not like I'm running apps doing all this refreshing in the background. I actually turn background refresh off.

The reason why I wonder if it is the RAM is because I hardly ever saw this issue on my 5S. I haven't used my 6 Plus any differently day-to-day than my 5S which makes me think this could be a RAM issue associated with how iOS 8 caches.

Anyone else seeing the same?

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
This has become an increasingly annoying issue since day one. I notice that if I go back to an app after maybe about 15 minutes or so after using it, it relaunches and I lose my place in the app. Feels very pre-ios4. I recently (and reluctantly) set up my phone as new and the issue continues. And it's not like I'm running apps doing all this refreshing in the background. I actually turn background refresh off.

The reason why I wonder if it is the RAM is because I hardly ever saw this issue on my 5S. I haven't used my 6 Plus any differently day-to-day than my 5S which makes me think this could be a RAM issue associated with how iOS 8 caches.

I know on my 5C that happens all the time.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Happened on my 5S all the time as well as some apps on my 6+ ... I just wish safari would knock that sh*t off lol

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Luckily I don't often need to go back into apps. I usually close down all the apps I'm not using out of habit.

Keeping the RAM at more availability seems to help with that.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I haven't really seen that. Are there particular apps that it happens with often or is it everything?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yes it's the one gb ram. Yep this constant refreshing happens more with the plus than the 5S. Not to mention the slight lag found all over the place.

This is why I've said this first gen plus isn't a great choice if you plan on owning more than a year. And I don't.

But for me it's still a trade off that's worthwhile to have the great screen and battery life for now. I'd hate to have to use this current 6 Plus on iOS 9 next year though.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
So here is my ram usage before opening and freezing apps:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414443765.526328.jpg

After opening tapatalk, alien blue, chrome, safari, iTunes Store, calendar, yelp, app store, YouTube, instagram and Facebook, my ram is:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414443781.026059.jpg

And none of my apps have been refreshed. This is with a 6 plus. I'm not saying your issue isn't real but I'm not able to reproduce it. I will keep these apps frozen and see if they reload after 15 min

EDIT: uploaded large versions of pics

After 15 the only apps that reloaded was Yelp but I think it is meant to do that because it loads the local fare(Location services arrow was on when I went back to the card). I'll open more tabs in safari and see if that has an effect 15 minutes later while keeping all the original apps in a frozen state.

EDIT: Test results 15 minutes later

So I went back and noticed something. I had loaded the engaget, reddit, a google search with a lot of pictures and a guitar "set your intonation" website. Some of them went white before showing the webpage again but this was different from reloading. On my school's crappy WiFi, it took a couple seconds to actually load each page(especially engaget with the ad) while what I saw was that the webpages went white briefly before showing up again instantly.

As for the apps, alien blue, chrome(a single picture) and tapatalk(went from the 6+ forum to the trending feed) did reload but there was still plenty of ram available according to my N Stats widget. Maybe you can all download a usage widget and see for yourself for more test results. From my 6+ at least, it looks like apps reload AFTER a preset amount of time regardless of any free amount of ram available.

I'm going to close all frozen apps, open chrome with a single doctor who picture, measure the ram available before and right before I go back to the frozen webpage and see if reloads 10 min after reopening, 15 min after reopening and 20 minutes after reopening to test the above.

EDIT: Half an hour later

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414443364.088290.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414443364.088290.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 202
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414443500.267608.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414443500.267608.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Have not really gotten the hang of going back to apps with iOS. I have received an insufficient memory warning on my 6+ which I have never seen on one of my devices before. So I do the close the app thing now.

Is there an app that closes all open apps or a what to do them in mass without swiping them individually? Thanks.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's got to do with the ram, it could be the apps or a few bugs in IOS 8. APPLE would know better too add more ram if it would be an issue.... I'd set up as new... That may be your only option... I've never had any of the issues your experiencing... It could be because I had to take the bull by the horns and set up as new

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't you guys think if the issue could be generally attributed to the amount of RAM that everyone would experience such performance issues since we all have the same RAM specs? I think it's something far more specific to your particular device.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't think it's got to do with the ram, it could be the apps or a few bugs in IOS 8. APPLE would know better too add more ram if it would be an issue.... I'd set up as new... That may be your only option... I've never had any of the issues your experiencing... It could be because I had to take the bull by the horns and set up as new

I set up as new on Wednesday and the issue is still there.

Don't you guys think if the issue could be generally attributed to the amount of RAM that everyone would experience such performance issues since we all have the same RAM specs? I think it's something far more specific to your particular device.

I'm leaning more towards iOS 8 optimization of the 6 Plus in regards to my case. It just baffles me that I basically had the same setup on a 5S for a year and it had a lesser processor and the same amount of RAM for memory. iOS 7 had its issues when it was released, but by 7.1 that thing was a beast. I'm sure Apple will get some of these things squandered out with iOS 8.

As far as some of the freezing and lag goes, I'd also say that's due to the OS optimization for this specific phone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yes it's the one gb ram. Yep this constant refreshing happens more with the plus than the 5S. Not to mention the slight lag found all over the place.

This is why I've said this first gen plus isn't a great choice if you plan on owning more than a year. And I don't.

But for me it's still a trade off that's worthwhile to have the great screen and battery life for now. I'd hate to have to use this current 6 Plus on iOS 9 next year though.

Whatever iOS 9 is, I hope it gets the iOS 6/Mountain Lion treatment.

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, I've posted about it before.....Something just has felt "not right" with the 6+. I enjoy it, it's got a beautiful screen, but I can't get over that it truly runs slower than my iPhone 5 (iOS 7) and 5s (iOS 8). It feels as if it is an older, larger phone that was not made to work with the OS. Kind of like running an iPhone with an iOS released 3 year later). I also do not remember either of those phones ever reloading apps like the 6 plus does. It happens very often and is very annoying actually. It just does not feel like a refined phone. My gut tells me that IT IS the 1GB of ram that is the issue behind it all. 8.1 did not fix these issues whatsoever. I would say that if by one of the next 2 iOS updates these issues are not fixed, then it is not something software-related. Agree?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I set up as new on Wednesday and the issue is still there.

I'm leaning more towards iOS 8 optimization of the 6 Plus in regards to my case. It just baffles me that I basically had the same setup on a 5S for a year and it had a lesser processor and the same amount of RAM for memory. iOS 7 had its issues when it was released, but by 7.1 that thing was a beast. I'm sure Apple will get some of these things squandered out with iOS 8.

As far as some of the freezing and lag goes, I'd also say that's due to the OS optimization for this specific phone.

But again, don't you think it would be a far more widespread problem if it was in fact an optimization function within the OS? And when I say widespread, I don't mean like our resident "pappy" defines it (IE: like a dozen people), I mean like millions of users...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
But again, don't you think it would be a far more widespread problem if it was in fact an optimization function within the OS?

That's why I'm starting a discussion here. It doesn't matter to me if it was "widespread" or not. I'm not even claiming or even wanting to know if it's "widespread." I'm asking a forum of tech enthusiasts to see what their opinion is.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That's why I'm starting a discussion here. It doesn't matter to me if it was "widespread" or not. I'm asking a forum of tech enthusiasts to see what their opinion is.

Don't you cop out on me in this debate...lol!

I just feel that if the issue was an OS optimization problem, everyone would experience it in some way, shape or form...because it's far more focused instead of widespread, perhaps it could be an assignment of settings you have that is popularly shared? Maybe a work around app that you use or something that hands off to the OS?

I haven't experienced anything like the frequency of app refreshes that you detailed in your original post, and my 6 Plus is essentially an identical setup as my 5S was (with maybe a handful of apps added to it and screen orientation being allowed to switch back and forth). I don't think I just hit the iPhone lottery...which is why I'm continuing the debate here...as the list grows smaller of obvious things, maybe something more specific will show it's ugly face (IE: Richard Sherman, lol!)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Don't you cop out on me in this debate...lol!

I just feel that if the issue was an OS optimization problem, everyone would experience it in some way, shape or form...because it's far more focused instead of widespread, perhaps it could be an assignment of settings you have that is popularly shared? Maybe a work around app that you use or something that hands off to the OS?

I haven't experienced anything like the frequency of app refreshes that you detailed in your original post, and my 6 Plus is essentially an identical setup as my 5S was (with maybe a handful of apps added to it and screen orientation being allowed to switch back and forth). I don't think I just hit the iPhone lottery...which is why I'm continuing the debate here...as the list grows smaller of obvious things, maybe something more specific will show it's ugly face (IE: Richard Sherman, lol!)

I sure as hell hit the iPhone lottery with this lol.

I truly believe that if I went through a couple of million iPhone 6 Pluses that belonged to some teenagers who if I double-tapped their home button the first two 3rd party apps in the app switcher were Facebook and Instagram, I'd notice the issue probably on the other apps that they don't frequently as use. In other words, I don't hold them in high regard as I do tech enthusiasts here to notice such a thing because, well, they're stupid lol.

I got very used to just not closing up apps once on my 5S and the issue just really didn't present itself. All that is different from how I use my 5S is that I have 4 more apps on my home screen. It could be a combination of non-iOS 8 apps running with native and iOS 8 optimized apps. I really hope that is the case.

And thank Satan I look nothing like Sherman lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh