What if you get your card stolen?

itsgusmetropolo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
With Apple Pay you don't need to put your card's PIN, right? But does it ever ask for you to input your PIN? Like during the setup? Because if not, anyone with a 6/6+ could get your card and set it up and start using. If you don't notice you lost the card, it could be long gone and someone could have bought a lot of stuff.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I haven't seen it yet. I didn't set up Apple Pay on my 6+ because I live in Canada...

Cheers

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
With Apple Pay you don't need to put your card's PIN, right? But does it ever ask for you to input your PIN? Like during the setup? Because if not, anyone with a 6/6+ could get your card and set it up and start using. If you don't notice you lost the card, it could be long gone and someone could have bought a lot of stuff.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I haven't seen it yet. I didn't set up Apple Pay on my 6+ because I live in Canada...

Cheers

No PIN needed when setting it up. It does ask you for your card number which you can type in or take a photo of with the camera. Unless that person has the same fingerprints as you, they won't. Maybe I am missing what you are asking but you need a finger scan while using Apple Pay.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Nevermind. I think I see what you are saying. If a user looses his say, Chase debit card and someone with an iPhone 6/6+ comes along, takes a quick snap of the card to add it to Apple Pay. I guess that is why companies like Capital One require you to call in to verify or download the verification app before you can start using it in Apple Pay. With Chase (what I use), it just let me add it with no verification check. I got ya.

Eddster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

Cheers

I think this issue is really independent of Apple Pay. If you lose your card and don't notice, there's nothing stopping someone from using the physical card. One would still need to safeguard their credit/debit cards regardless of whether or not they use Apple Pay.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I think this issue is really independent of Apple Pay. If you lose your card and don't notice, there's nothing stopping someone from using the physical card. One would still need to safeguard their credit/debit regardless of whether or not they use Apple Pay.

It really is independent of Apple Pay. Because when you add the card on Passbook it still has to be verified through a method. Whether that is to call or have a verification code sent to your email or phone number.

itsgusmetropolo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
It really is independent of Apple Pay. Because when you add the card on Passbook it still has to be verified through a method. Whether that is to call or have a verification code sent to your email or phone number.

Yeah but whoever got the card can put his email/phone number and still use it, right?

And it is not independent because most cards require a PIN and who got the card couldn't buy in store. For online, they need to know the address, but some sites don't require.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

My Chase debit required no verification. Took to Apple Pay immediately. Cap One though did require a verification.

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't that be silly? I would think it would be fairly easy to trace the identity of the thief if they were using their apple pay to use a stolen card?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77