Used Apple Pay with debit card and terminal still asking for PIN?

CD1X

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I went to Walgreens yesterday to try out Apple Pay.....I have a Chase debit card....it worked fine but I still had to input my PIN. I thought my fingerprint was supposed to kill that?? Anyone else had this happen to them?

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I went to Walgreens yesterday to try out Apple Pay.....I have a Chase debit card....it worked fine but I still had to input my PIN. I thought my fingerprint was supposed to kill that?? Anyone else had this happen to them?

That's odd. Not for me. I've been to Walgreens once and it processed with no PIN request. McDonald's was the same.

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I used it twice today at McDonalds with no problems. Touch ID was all I had to do.

Did you restart your phone at all today? Usually after you restart your phone you have to enter your pin at least once before you can start using Touch ID again.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I used it twice today at McDonalds with no problems. Touch ID was all I had to do.

Did you restart your phone at all today? Usually after you restart your phone you have to enter your pin at least once before you can start using Touch ID again.

I believe the OP is talking about the PIN code for the debit card itself.

CrackOne

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I used ApplePay for the first time today at Walgreen's. The clerk said that she had not yet processed a transaction with new system. It worked perfectly.

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Actually you are right, I just went to Walgreens to try it out, and it worked... Except for it asked for my PIN also. Wonder why

CycloneFW

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
The vendor's POS system may not use a different "logic path" to determine the options for NFC payments. Instead, it may be programmed to have NFC supplant the swipe. If so, all the same options and menus that normally show up will continue to -- namely "credit or debit" and the PIN submission for debit.

As NFC becomes more mainstreams, the POS systems will probably be updated to streamline the options for NFC payments instead of the simple "use this instead of the swipe" setup that some POS implementations used this far.

SMELTN

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Plano. Did you run it as debt or credit? If you run it as debt you will always have to enter a pin

GAMassey

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The exact same thing happened when I made a purchase at Walgreens with my CapitalOne debit card, I held my phone near the terminal, the Pay with Apple Pay screen popped up and asked me for touch ID (which only worked if I continued to hold the phone right next to the terminal), then when the touch ID was accepted the terminal asked me for my PIN code.

I also thought the PIN code would not be needed. I think it would have been faster to just swipe the card and enter the PIN code.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to try it. When checking out do you just have tell the cashier you'd like to use Apple Pay and then hold your phone near the terminal and use finger print ID when it appears?

Sent via Tapatalk on my i6...

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

Same here I was kind of disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone 6

xoxojess

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. I went to Whole Foods for lunch yesterday and when I used my Wells Fargo Debit, it still prompted me for my PIN number. I'm hoping that's not the case everywhere because for me, that's no more convenient than actually swiping my card. Maybe there's a workaround or will be at some point.

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I used my Chase debit at Whole Food on Monday and was not prompted to enter a PIN. I ask them to run as credit just as I have with Google Wallet for years. It worked fine Monday. However, I tried it yesterday and the transaction did not go through. I would get the check mark but the cashier said it did not go through. I asked him if he was running as credit and he said yes. It never even occurred to me to look at the terminal to see if it was prompting me to use my PIN. After three attempts I finally swiped my card. I will have to try it again today to see if something has changed.

SMELTN

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the key thing is people are running it as Debt. If you run it as Debt you will be asked for your PIN everytime. If you run it as Credit you will not.

Its also key that the Cashier know that because in most stores THEY are the ones that have to hit the pay with credit, debt, cash, etc button on the register before you can use Apple pay. If they hit the wrong one it will not work

decypher44

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I finally found a place to use it today. Two Subways and one Chevron didn't have it.
Used it at another Chevron today. First time, it didn't work. It said to enter a code on my phone, but it closed before I could do anything. I put it towards the terminal again, and it worked.

HOWEVER, the terminal DID prompt me to push it's button for debit or credit. I chose credit. Then, it was complete. I'm not seeing how this is easier, better or faster than using my card.

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I used my Chase debit at Whole Food on Monday and was not prompted to enter a PIN. I ask them to run as credit just as I have with Google Wallet for years. It worked fine Monday. However, I tried it yesterday and the transaction did not go through. I would get the check mark but the cashier said it did not go through. I asked him if he was running as credit and he said yes. It never even occurred to me to look at the terminal to see if it was prompting me to use my PIN. After three attempts I finally swiped my card. I will have to try it again today to see if something has changed.

An update from today. I returned to Whole foods today and tried a different register and the transaction on my Chase debit went through without issue and without prompting me for a PIN. I think it was the terminal yesterday malfunctioning.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox