How does handoff work exactly?

TheFirm

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
For the SMS handoff, how exactly does that work? Is it just via Bluetooth or does it mainly require wifi? Or is it just automatic?

For instance, if one device is on LTE in one room,while in another room my iPad is on wifi, will I get my text messages on my iPad still?

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

Hansana

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
For the SMS handoff, how exactly does that work? Is it just via Bluetooth or does it mainly require wifi? Or is it just automatic?

For instance, if one device is on LTE in one room,while in another room my iPad is on wifi, will I get my text messages on my iPad still?

I really don't know. I'm having trouble connecting to my Mac via Bluetooth. Even 8.1 didn't fix it :(

TheFirm

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I really don't know. I'm having trouble connecting to my Mac via Bluetooth. Even 8.1 didn't fix it :(

Same here, I tried to connect to my iPad and iPhone and it sees it but doesn't let me connect.

Sent from my 128gb iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk via Sprint Spark

TheFirm

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Its not compatible with my Macbook Pro since I am not using Bluetooth 4.0 so I am out of luck

Oh ok, I have the mid 2014 model and have the same issue so I'm glad I'm not the only one.

TheFirm

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
It should be just automatic. You don't have to do anything to pair your devices via Bluetooth. Both devices have to be signed into the same iCloud account. Not sure if both have to be on wifi.

I just tested this and you are correct, somehow I don't need to do anything. However I read something in which apparently I should be able to see my iOS apps on my Mac or something?

I forget exactly how it's supposed to work tho

TheFirm

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The app Handoff is proximity based but again you don't need to configure it. The easiest way to test is with safari. On one device bring up a web page. Do not lock the device. Pick up second device and in either 1) on lock screen you should see the handoff icon on the bottom left or 2) if you are unlocked double click the home button to bring up the app switcher and go all the way to the left past the home screen. So either 1) slide up on the home screen or 2) select from the app switcher and you should be taken to safari on that website.

I tried that and that doesn't work, however the text messages part of handoff works perfectly

TheFirm

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
My iPad is in the middle of updating so I haven't tried that yet either.

Mine actually sort of froze during the verification process, I had to press the power button a few times before it finally went to install it

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73