Has anyone here actually upgraded at an Apple store with verizon edge? Im wondering how it would work too order phone on Apple website for in store pick up? I've read online verizon edge upgrade is possible at apple store, but the person I chatted with on their site said it's not an option? Then told me to ask a local store? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-19-2014 10:34 PM
    I do know you cannot walk in as a new customer OR an existing customer and get a device on the edge program. It's two year contract or full retail price only. It's the same with AT&T next.

However, if you have an eligible line for an upgrade they are supposed to be able to do it in the store.

Kind of ridiculous because you can go to other stores like Radio Shack, Target, Best Buy and get them on those programs. Of course most stores don't have the plus in 64 or 128GB sizes...
    10-19-2014 11:22 PM
    On Saturday I walked into an Apple Store and bought a Verizon 6+ 128gb SG. It was an early Edge. I already had preordered a phone through Verizon. I had to cancel my preorder while in the Apple Store to get it all to work but the Apple Rep was very nice and patient throughout the whole process.
    10-22-2014 08:40 PM
    They do Next, Edge, and Jump there in the Apple stores. That's what they told me when I went.
    10-22-2014 10:12 PM
    They do Next, Edge, and Jump there in the Apple stores. That's what they told me when I went.
    They do, but there are a few things that verizon can do for the edge that Apple can't. I know I can trade my phone in and get on edge even if I'm not due for an upgrade with edge. I asked Apple, they can't do that there.
    10-22-2014 10:17 PM
    They do, but there are a few things that verizon can do for the edge that Apple can't. I know I can trade my phone in and get on edge even if I'm not due for an upgrade with edge. I asked Apple, they can't do that there.
    Ah. I see. So there are certain stipulations. So in order to do an early upgrade to edge, it needs to be in an actual carrier store?
    10-23-2014 11:40 AM
    Ah. I see. So there are certain stipulations. So in order to do an early upgrade to edge, it needs to be in an actual carrier store?
    Not always. If you're eligible for an upgrade you can do it wherever. If you're not, verizon will still let you do it, but you need to trade in your current device.
    10-23-2014 11:41 AM
    I would not trust anything they tell you over the phone or even in the store!
    My experience is both with ATT and Verizon.
    With ATT I wanted to add a third line to my account and use Next. This was no problem in the ATT corporate store and I had an order for a 6+ SG 128GB that was scheduled to ship 11/03-11/13.
    I found a local Apple store that had a 6 SG 128GB in stock. The web site only allowed me to do a 2 year contract OR pay full retail up front. A quick call to Apple and they told me they could do an order that would take 7-10 bus. days to ship via Next, no store pickup available.

The following day I was with a client literally walking distance from the store. I stopped by the store and was greeted by a person giving out codes for a place in line. She informed me they had it in stock and it would be about a 45 minute wait with 4 people ahead of me. I gave her my mobile and got a QR code texted to me and waited.

When I was waited on, they scanned my QR code and brought out the phone. I provided my info and they got to a screen on their portable POS that showed upgrading a line, two year contract or purchase full retail. There was no "add device with next" choice available! The gentleman spoke with his manager who suggested I take a nano sim (which he gave me) to an ATT store, have them activate it and bring it back and they could put the phone on it. The ATT store was just a walk downstairs (this was in a large mall) and after explaining to them what I wanted to do they told me that a new sim/line is not eligible to add a device to for six months! I went back up to Apple store, spoke with the manager and he called ATT corporate and got the answer I was looking for (but not what I wanted to hear). He said in order to do a new line with Next I needed to either order it on att.com or go into a corporate store!

Funny thing is a few weeks later I found a Best Buy store with a 6 64GB SG and they had no problem adding a line with Next. No problem whatsoever. So the problem lies with Apple's system!

Fast forward to just a week ago. I noticed that the local (Apple) store had the 6+ SG 128GB in stock! Thing is, it was Verizon. I went on apple.com and went to sign up as new Verizon customer and wouldn't you just know it!? There's a notice on there to go to the store for Edge! Brilliant!

So at the apple store, I get my place with a 1 hour wait, have some other business to do so that hour wait actually worked out perfectly.

The experience as signing up as a new Verizon customer was kind of strange. The gentleman at the Apple store said they require a major credit card, state ID AND (surprise!) a piece of mail like a utility bill with my name on it to prove my address is what it is! I told him that no one told me this AND I use paperless everywhere. I asked if I can produce an electronic copy of a bill if that would suffice and he said yes. So a few min later of playing around with my electric provider's site on my 5S' tiny screen, I had the bill. He looked at it and said OK, your good!

So after the credit check required for new Verizon customers, the options were 2 year contract or purchase outright. Surprise! He called it in, they said credit is no problem (and I know this!) but their system does not allow them to do Edge with a new Verizon customer! Here we go again! More time wasted.

I go back to my car, check the istocknow site and found a 6 128G SG with Verizon at Best Buy about 4 miles away. I called the store to verify and the lady said they have plenty of them. Interestingly enough they won't give an exact number.

So again, off to BB, absolutely no problem getting the device with Edge. And they did not ask for a piece of mail with my name on it! LOL

I figure the Apple store may becoming more stringent with ID due to all the scams (mostly on the west coast) where scammers are paying homeless people to get phones and then unlock and sell them on the black market.

In any case this was my experience. The crux of the matter is don't believe what these folks tell you on the phone. You're likely to be highly disappointed and waste lots of time. Time is money to me!

Interestingly enough I met a young man at the Best Buy store that shared a very similar experience with me and said it was kind of pathetic that one could walk into even a Target store and do what Apple cannot. You would think as big as Apple is their system could do anything! LOL

Now you may ask why get another 6 with a different carrier? Well the experience with ATT canceling my order left a sour taste in my mouth and I was anxious to try another carrier. It could be a blessing in disguise as I'm finding Verizon's network has better coverage for me and their LTE/XLTE makes ATT's speeds pale in comparison! Most of the time the UPLOAD on VZW is faster than ATT's DOWNLOAD! Good thing I got the 10GB plan!
    10-24-2014 08:09 AM