Increased data charges with AT&T

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
So, with 2 iPhone 5s and an iPhone 4, I always ended up using approximately a combined 1.5GB of data per month

Now, on my plan, with 2 iPhone 6plus's, an iPhone 5s, and an iPhone 5 I am over 2GB of data just for this cycle so far which is not even 5 days. There has been no more non-wifi use than usual (maybe even less though actually), yet the usage is piling up. Anyone have any idea why ?!

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
So in speaking with apple and AT&T, it's been narrowed down to iMessage. It seems to be using data when connected to wifi! Frustrating

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The other iPhone 6 Plus on my account seems to be running more data that the previous iPhone 5
Not sure if it's the phone, or the way the phone is being used... Maybe apps running in the background, things like that could be the issue for me, regardless I don't really worry, I have a set limit on my two devices so I won't go over with Verizon 😄

Try turning off background app refresh, maybe that will work a bit for you also

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
So in speaking with apple and AT&T, it's been narrowed down to iMessage. It seems to be using data when connected to wifi! Frustrating

That isn't an acceptable answer. How can you send 2GB worth of messages, even with pics involved and it hasn't even been 5 days? And what proof does AT&T have that the data is coming from iMessages?

This is AT&T's screw up. I've dealt with this issue a few times with them and demanded credits for phantom data.

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
That isn't an acceptable answer. How can you send 2GB worth of messages, even with pics involved and it hasn't even been 5 days? And what proof does AT&T have that the data is coming from iMessages?

This is AT&T's screw up. I've dealt with this issue a few times with them and demanded credits for phantom data.

Yeah I'm pursuing this.....something's wrong. And here's another strange thing.....under my wife's listed cellular data usage on at&t's site, it shows that this morning she used a few hundred MB of data, yet she was sitting right here connected to wifi! I have NO idea how that would happen

diaz2010

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem, ATT said that I used over 6 gb and I was only 5 days into my billing cycle. I think in my case it was just higher usage due to having a new phone.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Are all of your settings exactly the same? And make sure your notification widgets aren't refreshing. iOS 8 may be the culprit too.

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
This is interesting to me. As a primary android user. When I received my 6+ I used it for several days but did all the setup over WiFi and checked my data usage *data# from dialer on ATT and was shocked at the usage. I still have unlimited data but had never used so much data in that amount of time into my cycle. I jumped into all the setting and turn off all the background stuff from apps etc.

I have no firm evidence that it was iphone but thought it was interesting when I saw this thread.

Posted via my Moto X 2

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, it's nothing to do with my settings actually. The browsing habits, apps, settings, etc are all the same. In fact, at this point we are using literally over 20 TIMES the data that we have over the past several years. Only the two new iPhone 6+s are having these issues with data consumption. The 5 and 5s are all normal for the most part

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Android has a setting in which you can set your monthly renewal date and it tracks your data usage for you and you can set alarms, warnings etc. Does iOS have is built in?

Posted via my Moto X 2

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue with Verizon. I typically use between 2-3GB of data and I'm double that (6GB) and my cycle ends tomorrow?!? I have never used so much data!

iPhone 6 plus...

I wonder what gives

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
We just got a 90% usage at 4gb and our plan starts on the 26th so only half way through. Afaik nothing has changed but I will log in to VZW to see if it's one phone or the other.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I just called verizon to up my data to 15 gb. Idk if I'll keep it but I was already paying for 10. I asked the lady if she's ever heard any complaints about it. She's said no but made a good point of that when u setup your phone there's a lot of data syncing. I know that it's not a good reason but it's on to think about.

Is there any data that can only be transferred over the cellular network as carrier version and prl that could account for 'some' of that data?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Something to check -- icloud photo stream. I deleted a bunch of pics I took on LTE before I got to wifi and they were on my iPad later on. I have since disabled the iCloud photos (hopefully they still backup?)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This top option is the one I had turned on:
eqyqu6uj.jpg

mackstrife

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
This might be due to the WiFi assist feature introduced in IOS 9. The feature allows the phone to use cellular data when you are connected to wifi. You can disable it in settings under the cellular sub menu. Disabling it also increases battery life.

LewLew23

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
This is what I was thinking also. When I turned mine off last month, it slowed down my data usage. Though on my 6+, I definitely notice my data being used faster than on my Note 4. It's really...baffling.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I turned mine off as soon as I found out about it. I do not want my phone doing very much of anything automatic . I prefer to make any changes manually . That way at least I know what the phone is or is not doing and can control whats going on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73