Anyone else hate the location of the power buttons on the new iPhones?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't "hate" the new placement of the power button on the 6/6 Plus, but I have to admit, it took some getting use to. I'm right handed and hold the iPhone in my left hand. From time to time when I use the power button I fing myself also altering the volume controls.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't "hate" the new placement of the power button on the 6/6 Plus, but I have to admit, it took some getting use to. I'm right handed and hold the iPhone in my left hand. From time to time when I use the power button I fing myself also altering the volume controls.

That's more or less how I feel about it. Not exactly 'hate'. More like a slight occasional annoyance.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Only time it bothers me now is when I grab an older phone and try to turn off the screen

hkap

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Bottom Line: After using almost a year now the power button would be better on top. I have all apple products (Ipads) and they are all on top. With the iphone 6 every time I take a pic or give it to someone else to take one it turns off. Very annoying! I agree.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Bottom Line: After using almost a year now the power button would be better on top. I have all apple products (Ipads) and they are all on top. With the iphone 6 every time I take a pic or give it to someone else to take one it turns off. Very annoying! I agree.

I really don't care either way, but I had no problem with it being on top.

MikeElmoreTalksCom

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Here it is November 2015? a year into having the 6plus and I still hate it. Yes I'm "used to it" being there but that doesn't mean I don't hit it all the time when I don't want to.

Laying on the floor in front of my couch while I nap?alarm goes off and I turn the volume up trying to fumble for the power button for a quick shut down of the alarm

Get the camera open and try to take a once in a lifetime horizontal shot?annnnd I lock the screen?..try to take a screen shot annnnd I lock the screen.

I don't do it EVERY TIME but EVERY TIME I do it?it's irritating. Baaaad design when something causes large numbers of people problems?consistently

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
This button placement bothered me for a few days 4 years ago when I got my first Android phone with a side mounted power button. I quickly learned to just hold the phone slightly different, without thinking about it, and haven't thought about it since.

I feel the Plus's power and volume keys are a little too high, but other than that I have no issues at all with their relative placement.

Asa Tanaka

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Same! And I never thought I could hate something so bad. :crying:

To date, I still cannot make a screenshot of the moment without loosing my temper or get irritated with my phone. :broken-heart:

I much prefer the 5s grip and power button placement. :yes:

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
No problem for me, in fact I keep pressing the right side of my iPod Touch 5th Generation & keep wondering why it doesn't switch on.

How I hold my 6 Plus places my thumb on the power & the rest of my fingers under the volume buttons, I can see how it might be a problem for some one with small hands though.

I use a Spigen Ultra Hybrid case on my 6 Plus & it requires a little extra pressure on the volume buttons compared to the power button meaning that accidental volume button presses are eliminated.

Roland

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
At first I looked for it on the top, but now the side is where it is, I don't even give it a second thought. In fact I had forgotten they used to be up there until I saw this thread. :)

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I find myself eventually turning up or down the volume and later discover it when someone might say " i called doubt you didn't answer " to discover the volume is down. Before this I had an Android LG G3 and believe it or not the rear power and up/down buttons were much more easier to get used to and once your used to them the index finger just naturally goes to them. Much better design in my opinion

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You have to do screenshots different. With my right hand, I put my index finger on the upper left corner of the Phone above all the buttons. My thumb pushes the power button on the side. At first, I didn't know what was going on when I kept seeing the sound bell pop up when I did a screenshot. Alternatively, you can enable Assistive Touch in Accessibility and do screenshots with that. No pushing buttons. Works really well. I keep Assistive Touch enabled all the time. You can hide the on screen button by triple clicking the home button.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro