Anyone else hate the location of the power buttons on the new iPhones?

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Never been a problem for me. I find that it's better on the side, would be awkward on the top of such a large device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apple_Fangirl06

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
How are you accidentally taking screen shots? I'm trying to figure out the mechanics of that..

The button going on the side is what makes the phone ergonomic for the majority of people. The button being on top on the HTC M8 drives a lot of people nuts. For a larger phone, it has to go on the side so it's usable. That's an Industrial Design standard, and a widely held one at that.

You stated "The button going on the side is what makes the phone ergonomic for the majority of people." Guess me and the other posters that state we have the " the exact same problems" are not the majority. Are you going to go to their post too and ask what's wrong with their coordination? All I know is me and a few others are in the minority and it's not fun. Thank you for poking a stick at us.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
You stated "The button going on the side is what makes the phone ergonomic for the majority of people." Guess me and the other posters that state we have the " the exact same problems" are not the majority. Are you going to go to their post too and ask what's wrong with their coordination? All I know is me and a few others are in the minority and it's not fun. Thank you for poking a stick at us.

How am I poking a stick? I'm pointing out something that is based on logic.

There's no need to get aggressive when someone points out something based on logic. I could insert a pithy comment, and then I would be "poking a stick."

I asked a question. No need to get snippy or nasty for asking how something happens. You have to be holding the home button and the power button down to take a screenshot, so it doesn't seem like it's something that can be doing accidentally.

Apple_Fangirl06

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
How am I poking a stick? I'm pointing out something that is based on logic.

There's no need to get aggressive when someone points out something based on logic. I could insert a pithy comment, and then I would be "poking a stick."

I asked a question. No need to get snippy or nasty for asking how something happens. You have to be holding the home button and the power button down to take a screenshot, so it doesn't seem like it's something that can be doing accidentally.

Me personally it happens because I'm trying to hold the phone in the palm of my hand. My hand is around both sides. I press the power button next I take a finger from my opposite hand and press the home button. Then I inadvertently hit the damn volume button because again I'm hold the whole phone in the palm of my hand (my thumb is straight across from the two fingers holding the power button and hits it) trying to use this so call one handed phone. Don't get me wrong I love my 6+ and would not trade it BUT the button does not work for me. You can call it logic all day long. I did not have this problem with my other iPhones. Now I know your next question is why am I using a second hand. I've never been able to use any of my iPhones one handed. I have big hands maybe that's part of it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

LOL! Holy fire storm batman! Did you just decide to randomly try to fight someone who was simply asking a simple (and civil) question here? I was wondering the same thing to be honest.

Apple_Fangirl06

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
LOL! Holy fire storm batman! Did you just decide to randomly try to fight someone who was simply asking a simple (and civil) question here? I was wondering the same thing to be honest.

That would be superwoman! Well ok I do tend to spit fire if I perceive a person to be slight my knowledge of pushing a button.
The OP asked who has the same problem well I do. I guess in hindsight there are those that need things explained out with very detail descriptions. You can not simply say "yes I am having the same problem as the OP".

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Who else ends up pressing the volume buttons instead (and vice versa)?

I do when I try to turn on/off my iPhone 6 with my left hand. I'll try to hit the power button with my index finder and my thumb will hit the volume up button when positioned naturally for the leverage I need. It doesn't happen all the time but often enough to be annoying. It might have something to do with the case I use but I've wished for the old location more than once.

I'm left handed and I hit it with my pointer finger. It feels better to do that than with I use it right handed.

I'm left handed too. When making calls, I hold the phone in my right hand and don't have a problem hitting the power button with my thumb. When I'm browsing or using apps, I hold it in my left hand. This is when I have issues.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Since this thread has been resurrected I wanted to say that it would be nice if the power button acted as a shutter button when the camera was open. I take photos in landscape more and more with this phone and have experienced the accidental power down of the phone thing. I just like a physical shutter button especially because I can get the phone more stable in my hands for shooting a photo. Other than that I really don't have a problem.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Since this thread has been resurrected I wanted to say that it would be nice if the power button acted as a shutter button when the camera was open. I take photos in landscape more and more with this phone and have experienced the accidental power down of the phone thing. I just like a physical shutter button especially because I can get the phone more stable in my hands for shooting a photo. Other than that I really don't have a problem.

You can use the volume keys for that...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

normaneo

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
TOTALLY AGREE! I am a complete Mac fan and have been using Mac products since 1984.

I would like to agree that the position of the power button is the ergonomically correct position for a button, but it is not. I can't think of a single keyboard, computer, music player, toaster, power drill or vehicle where a functional control like a power switch is placed on the exact opposite of another control where pressure would naturally be applied to activate that control. It's akin to placing a power button for a keyboard on the foot of it facing directly on the desk, with the pressure require to activate and single key on the keyboard, the same as required to turn that keyboard off.

It has little to do with the size of one's hand. The iPhone 6 power button is at on-center, direct opposite of the volume up button. Pressing the volume up button requires enough force that at some point, a users thumb directly opposite it, will naturally be in the position needed to apply enough force to press the power button. It's a bad position while talking on the phone and adjusting the volume, taking landscape photos and using the volume as a shutter button and any other use where turning the volume up is needed.

Sorry Apple this was a no-brainer, total miss. I'm sure many options were looked at for placement, but you should have looked or considered it more. Solutions should have included the current power button side, but lower position, possibly a button's length distance below the volume down button or even dead center on the length of the phone. One of these positions would have been a good placement for small, medium and large hands as well as lefties. The same position but on the left side might work though I would guess it wouldn't be as natural for the majority. In addition, there may have been some options with the amount of pressure required to activate it or better yet, Apple's ingenuity with coming up with new forms of functionality to address the power button or even the volume control.

turbodave38

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
@normaneo Having just come from Android, the new position is just perfect for me and I don't suffer any of the issues you mention.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
No issues. None in the beginning when i first got the iPhone 6. And none now. Each user may think different.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
TOTALLY AGREE! I am a complete Mac fan and have been using Mac products since 1984.

I would like to agree that the position of the power button is the ergonomically correct position for a button, but it is not. I can't think of a single keyboard, computer, music player, toaster, power drill or vehicle where a functional control like a power switch is placed on the exact opposite of another control where pressure would naturally be applied to activate that control. It's akin to placing a power button for a keyboard on the foot of it facing directly on the desk, with the pressure require to activate and single key on the keyboard, the same as required to turn that keyboard off.

It has little to do with the size of one's hand. The iPhone 6 power button is at on-center, direct opposite of the volume up button. Pressing the volume up button requires enough force that at some point, a users thumb directly opposite it, will naturally be in the position needed to apply enough force to press the power button. It's a bad position while talking on the phone and adjusting the volume, taking landscape photos and using the volume as a shutter button and any other use where turning the volume up is needed.

Sorry Apple this was a no-brainer, total miss. I'm sure many options were looked at for placement, but you should have looked or considered it more. Solutions should have included the current power button side, but lower position, possibly a button's length distance below the volume down button or even dead center on the length of the phone. One of these positions would have been a good placement for small, medium and large hands as well as lefties. The same position but on the left side might work though I would guess it wouldn't be as natural for the majority. In addition, there may have been some options with the amount of pressure required to activate it or better yet, Apple's ingenuity with coming up with new forms of functionality to address the power button or even the volume control.

I don't have any issue with the location of the power button. I have attached a photo of how I hold/use my iPhone 6 Plus. Clearly my raised thumb is higher on the device than the rest of my hand and the way it falls below the volume buttons on the other side of the phone.

I see it as anything but a "no-brainer, total miss". It works perfectly for me.

View attachment 86688

jttmckee

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
I think the button is very convenient on the side with the size of the phone

Agree with this. Apple have given a lot of thought to how to manage the big size (including the light double tap of the home button). I've got big hands so probably could manage anyway but it's great for my wife

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I still have occasional issues with the new power button layout. I find myself hitting the volume buttons a lot when pressing the power button. I believe it is because I'm left handed and tend to hold my phone in my left hand. The power button placement seems to be ideal for right handed use, but I can't seem to get my brain accustomed to holding the phone in my right hand.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I still have occasional issues with the new power button layout. I find myself hitting the volume buttons a lot when pressing the power button. I believe it is because I'm left handed and tend to hold my phone in my left hand. The power button placement seems to be ideal for right handed use, but I can't seem to get my brain accustomed to holding the phone in my right hand.

I'm a lefty, as well. I hold my phone in my right hand and type/navigate with my left hand.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods