Anyone else hate the location of the power buttons on the new iPhones?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Re: Hate the power button location

Happy for you.
Ideally, the power button should have been offset from the other buttons.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site

No.

I'll get used to it too eventually. However, I can call out a sub-optimal design when I see one.

I'm sure Apple has its reasons for doing everything it does. Internal packaging, ergonomic studies, whatever. I am unable to see the wisdom of placing the buttons where the opposing force required by newton's third law would require pressure on both sets of buttons.

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

ive had it since day one and even tho I'm used to it, i keep pressing the volume buttons when trying to press the power button... forget about taking a screenshot! i press all the buttons at the same time! ugh... so annoying

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

No.

I'll get used to it too eventually. However, I can call out a sub-optimal design when I see one.

I'm sure Apple has its reasons for doing everything it does. Internal packaging, ergonomic studies, whatever. I am unable to see the wisdom of placing the buttons where the opposing force required by newton's third law would require pressure on both sets of buttons.

Save your money. Start your own cell phone manufacturing plant.

Or just hold it differently. SMH.

Last edited:

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site

I'll psychoanalyze myself.

People participate in social media for positive reinforcement. I am disliking the placement of the buttons on direct opposite sides of the device. I will be happy if others agree. And otherwise if someone disagrees.

This thread will not have any tangible effect on the world. But then, if that's the criteria for posting here, we'll miss out on many interesting and pointless discussions. This will become a "tech support" type of forum, rather than a place where one can feel comfortable saying whatever is on our minds.

Last edited:

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

To each his own but, Considering the phone is bigger it seems like it's in a good spot for people to have easier access to it.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site

The placement of the buttons as they are is nice in the sense that the thumb and forefinger are right on the power and volume buttons when one holds the phone (in either hand). That is the good part. The downside is that unless one is taking care, the wrong button gets pressed.

It is a first world problem, for sure.

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

i still think it was a moronic move from apple. i never had problems with the iPhones buttons until now.

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

The placement of the buttons as they are is nice in the sense that the thumb and forefinger are right on the power and volume buttons when one holds the phone (in either hand). That is the good part. The downside is that unless one is taking care, the wrong button gets pressed.

True lol you have a point.

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

Agree 100%. While completely possible to press an individual button, and I'm sure we will all get used to it and adjust accordingly.....That being said, I don't feel that having the button located on the side directly across from the volume buttons makes any sense or has any benefits. The poster's point in speaking of this is probably because he is baffled as to why it is in such a location. I am as well. We all are and will be capable of getting our mind to adjust to it's location, but,

To review :

Pressing the power button alone without pressing other buttons : more difficult

Pressing either volume button alone without pressing other buttons : more difficult

Taking a screenshot by pressing the power button and home button : much more difficult

All in all, Apple is usually supportive of the idea "if it's not broken, don't fix it unless you can make the user experience better or easier". This is clearly a case where it makes everything at least a bit more difficult to no avail. Of course this is not a deal breaker in one's choosing to purchase or love of the phone, because I do love my phone.....And it obviously is not a huge issue in the grand spectrum of life or phones itself, however, since we're on an iPhone forum, it surely is worth mentioning!

(I've been pretty frustrated by this, hence my long post, because I take a lot of screenshots) lol

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Agree 100%. While completely possible to press an individual button, and I'm sure we will all get used to it and adjust accordingly.....That being said, I don't feel that having the button located on the side directly across from the volume buttons makes any sense or has any benefits. The poster's point in speaking of this is probably because he is baffled as to why it is in such a location. I am as well. We all are and will be capable of getting our mind to adjust to it's location, but,

To review :

Pressing the power button alone without pressing other buttons : more difficult

Pressing either volume button alone without pressing other buttons : more difficult

Taking a screenshot by pressing the power button and home button : much more difficult

All in all, Apple is usually supportive of the idea "if it's not broken, don't fix it unless you can make the user experience better or easier". This is clearly a case where it makes everything at least a bit more difficult to no avail. Of course this is not a deal breaker in one's choosing to purchase or love of the phone, because I do love my phone.....And it obviously is not a huge issue in the grand spectrum of life or phones itself, however, since we're on an iPhone forum, it surely is worth mentioning!

(I've been pretty frustrated by this, hence my long post, because I take a lot of screenshots) lol

You are entitled to your opinion, but your experience is certainly not mine. I honestly have no issues with any of the volume/power key combination actions, including screen captures.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
For the first few hours or so it was weird pushing the lock button on the side, but I don't even think about it anymore.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I think the button is very convenient on the side with the size of the phone
I think you are correct that the length of the phone was what made Apple place the buttons on the side. However, if they had placed the power button an inch lower, it would have been both reachable and offset from the buttons on the other side.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
For the most part I am fine with the location of the sleep awake button. Every once in a while I press the volume button while I am pressing the sleep button.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods