Apps look ugly on the 6 Plus. Why is Apple not encouraging developers to update their screen sizes?

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Sure some apps look fugly, but who cares!? This phone is crack!!! Crigeddy Crack Crack!!! I love my iCrack 6 Plus, just love it!!!

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I'm also eager to have updated apps. However, they've only known about the resolutions of the new devices since the 9th. I wouldn't think this is as trivial as the update from 4S to 5 (where the height was the only thing that changed - no need for completely changing all graphics in the app). Also, I imagine most devs will want to test their software on an actual device rather than rely solely on a simulator and theory. So, while I'm anxiously awaiting updates, I'm not ready to crucify the devs of apps which have not been updated yet. They need time to update the apps, and I'd rather they do it well than do it quickly.

Also, we're dealing with two new resolutions (which potentially require two different sets of updated graphics and layouts) rather than just one.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I remember in one of the last keynotes Apple said they will bring a new service I think in iOS 8 that would make it easier for developers to make a team of Beta testers. Is it ready yet, or still not released?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I remember in one of the last keynotes Apple said they will bring a new service I think in iOS 8 that would make it easier for developers to make a team of Beta testers. Is it ready yet, or still not released?

Are you talking about TestFlight - the public facing app beta testing program? They’re working on launching it. But the developers have to make their stuff available to the program.

Apple rolls out TestFlight beta testing app, reportedly preps iOS 8.0.1 for carriers

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
This makes me wonder, why is Apple not encouraging developers to update their screen sizes? It shouldn't be even an option. They should force the developers by not allowing Xcode to package any apps with resolution lower than that of the 6 Plus.
There's a huge difference between encouraging and forcing. I'm quite certain Apple is at least gently encouraging devs to take advantage of the higher resolution of the iPhone 6 Plus.

There are some apps that are still not even optimized for the iPhone 5. One notable offender which immediately comes to mind is the TUAW app. I could understand people being upset at that, but it's way too soon to be upset at devs for not optimizing their apps for the iPhone 6 Plus yet. I'm sure a lot of devs out there don't have the resources to accomplish this feat so soon.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Apps look ugly on the 6 Plus. Why is Apple not encouraging developers to upda...

If this is your reaction to this "issue", you would have had an absolute melt down if you had bought an Xbox One on release day, LOL!

Or tried to play Destiny the day of release :p

I have to search for what... "cattle" wtf?

mphillips828

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Facebook Messenger got updated, finally Facebook is aware of how ugly their apps are on the 6 Plus!

View attachment 66774

It now looks really good! Can't wait for the other apps.

That makes me wonder though. It says updated for the iPhone 6...does that mean it isn't technically optimized for the 6+ screen and resolution? Anyone able to confirm how the app looks on the 6+?

Two reasons I am concerned and haven't updated to a new iPhone yet is because I am a fitness junkie and I am not sure if the 6+ is too big of a phone to go on runs with and workout with (anyone have any insight or feedback on this?) and secondly the fact that I am not 100% sure that all developers will develop their apps to take advantage of the 6+ screen. Not that I want the landscape mode with two scrolling screens, but at least apps that are optimized to take advantage of the beautiful 6+ display!

ocus

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
the problem is also that Apple updated the developer's iTunes Connect and surely messed it up! Lots of bugs! And because all the developers need to update, and they only have like 40 reviewers I read online who do the App reviews.... some of my app updates have been sitting "In Review" status for 4-7 days, when it used to be HOURS from In Review to Ready for Sale. Sometimes, we'll upload updates and they won't even APPEAR in the account to be attached for hours. As a developer, I've already griped to Apple directly and tweeted about it, lol. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave!!

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
That makes me wonder though. It says updated for the iPhone 6...does that mean it isn't technically optimized for the 6+ screen and resolution? Anyone able to confirm how the app looks on the 6+?

Two reasons I am concerned and haven't updated to a new iPhone yet is because I am a fitness junkie and I am not sure if the 6+ is too big of a phone to go on runs with and workout with (anyone have any insight or feedback on this?) and secondly the fact that I am not 100% sure that all developers will develop their apps to take advantage of the 6+ screen. Not that I want the landscape mode with two scrolling screens, but at least apps that are optimized to take advantage of the beautiful 6+ display!

It is optimized for iPhone 6 Plus, don't worry. Most people call the 6 Plus as iPhone 6.

Here is a screenshot
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1412170558.618828.jpg

ocus

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
also, from a developer's point of view, YES i want to update all my apps because 1 - it's messed up a lot of our buttons, and i don't like things to look ugly either! and 2 - they've added new screen sizes so we have to put new screenshots and whatnot. so yes, i believe most apps that are still maintained by their devs WILL update, always. to fit apple's latest devices.

Last edited:

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Instagram just got its second update after iOS 8 and still it's not compatible with iPhone 6, or 6 Plus! Apparently the team behind Instagram app for iOS is finding the app ok!

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Instagram just got its second update after iOS 8 and still it's not compatible with iPhone 6, or 6 Plus! Apparently the team behind Instagram app for iOS is finding the app ok!

That is nuts. Especially for a popular app and a company that has the time and resources to update it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

That's what happens when you are owned by a company like Facebook. Facebook, I heard, pushed out version 15.0 this week with no iPhone 6 support.

Contact the developers about the situation or just deal with being an early adopter of a product.

Meanwhile, Tweetbot got iPhone 6(Plus) support today, interactive notifications, and 1password extensibility.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
That's what happens when you are owned by a company like Facebook. Facebook, I heard, pushed out version 15.0 this week with no iPhone 6 support.

Contact the developers about the situation or just deal with being an early adopter of a product.

Meanwhile, Tweetbot got iPhone 6(Plus) support today, interactive notifications, and 1password extensibility.

So, to summarize: Tweetbot rocks. Facebook (and all it’s holdings) sucks.