Has anyone had any experience with keeping a smaller iPhone (4s or 5) as a backup for the 6/Plus for use while running, cycling or at the gym? I've been leaning towards using a 6 as my sole phone since I run or cycle every day (as I've noted in other posts), but started thinking I may be better off with a smaller, cheaper phone for those activities anyway. The 6 and the Plus work, but neither are ideal.

My concern is swapping my SIM back and forth between the two phones on a daily basis. I've only swapped when upgrading each year, so I'm not sure if daily swapping poses any problems I should be aware of. Thanks for the help.
    09-29-2014 12:50 AM
    I've thought about this alot and it may be useful. But again I got the 128gb model so I'll end up utilising the space where necessary. I gave away all my previous devices but I do know allot of people who use there older devices due to size and portability.
    09-29-2014 12:53 AM
    I guess you could just keep switching the sim cards out. But wouldn't that just get annoying?

I can't see having 2 sim cards with 2 phone numbers just for the heck of it
    09-29-2014 12:55 AM
    I guess you could just keep switching the sim cards out. But wouldn't that just get annoying?
    Once a day to the 5c, and then back into the 6/Plus. So long as the SIM trays are sturdy enough to withstand the daily swap, doesn't seem like a big deal to me. And compared to getting the bike from the garage, on top of the car, etc., or figuring out where I left my running shoes, not much more of a hurdle to getting out the door.
    09-29-2014 01:09 AM
    Once a day to the 5c, and then back into the 6/Plus. So long as the SIM trays are sturdy enough to withstand the daily swap, doesn't seem like a big deal to me. And compared to getting the bike from the garage, on top of the car, etc., or figuring out where I left my running shoes, not much more of a hurdle to getting out the door.
    Well I guess you just answered your own question
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    09-29-2014 01:16 AM
    I plan to use a 126GB 6/Plus as my primary device, but am considering a used 5c solely for running/cycling once a day, and then as a backup iPod. I sold my son's 5c last week after I gave him my old 5s, but in retrospect I likely should have held onto it.
    09-29-2014 01:19 AM
    I plan to use a 126GB 6/Plus as my primary device, but am considering a used 5c solely for running/cycling once a day, and then as a backup iPod. I sold my son's 5c last week after I gave him my old 5s, but in retrospect I likely should have held onto it.
    Never seen one of those.
    09-29-2014 01:21 AM
    Meant 128GB 6 or 6+
    09-29-2014 01:30 AM
    Actually, the question was whether daily swapping poses any problems I should be aware of, not whether it would be annoying.
    09-29-2014 01:32 AM
    I think it'd get old pretty quick. The 6 Plus probably isn't for you.
    09-29-2014 10:16 AM
    I would be worried not of the SIM trays but damaging the SIM itself after repeated use.
    09-29-2014 12:05 PM
    I think it'd get old pretty quick. The 6 Plus probably isn't for you.
    You may be right :-) Will probably try one more long run with the 6 Plus and then decide.
    09-29-2014 12:15 PM
    What about using an iPod touch? Then there would be no swapping of sims....
    09-29-2014 12:31 PM
    Need to keep a phone with me. I'm out by myself, often on not heavily-travelled trails and for an hour or two.
    09-29-2014 12:41 PM
    get a iPod
    09-29-2014 01:04 PM
    I have thought about using my daughter's old 4th gen ipod touch (ios 6) just for reading at night...at least it's a retina screen. I'm used to a phone for reading..go figure. But this is where I'm finding the Plus a bit of a pain to use, just lying on side with phone in one hand flicking pages with thumb. I still use an alarm clock that has the older connector and it fits there so that may work out.

An alternative for you is to get a data only SIM for your phone for 10 a month. I have 3 ipad lines on my verizon plan (that I use to buy phones with). Two are used in ipads. The other sim is in my daughter's iphone 5. Can't make voice calls with phone app or sms but there's apps for that.
    PatrickNSF likes this.
    09-29-2014 01:09 PM
    Need to keep a phone with me. I'm out by myself, often on not heavily-travelled trails and for an hour or two.
    Hi Patrick. Have you considered (I imagine you probably have) waiting to see what types of arm-band cases they will make for the 6 and 6+? I imagine the 6 would fit a little better just due to size, but either way, you might find the 6 in an armband feels very similar to what the 5/5C/5S would feel like. Or perhaps a fanny pack, running pack, etc as opposed to keeping the phone in a sweaty hand while running?

I will be getting an armband for my 6 as soon as I find one I like. I personally do not have any concerns with running or cycling with it. Best of luck to you on what you decide to do.
    PatrickNSF likes this.
    09-29-2014 01:53 PM
    Swapping sims shouldn't be a problem. I do it all the time between my 6+ and my nexus 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-29-2014 02:14 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. Have used a SPIbelt with the iPhone 6 and an Amphipod with the Plus. They both work OK, with the 6 being better. Yesterday I had a decent 10 mile run with the 6 in the water-resistant SPIbelt and I noticed that it seemed more wet than I'd experienced with my old 5s. I think the size increase over the 5s is making it more difficult to close completely with the headphone plug. I may just need to find an L-adapter for the headphones.

The Plus fits fine in the Amphipod, but you're pretty much forced to wear the pouch on your back. Not a deal killer, but less convenient than having the pouch in the front.

I've tried an armband that came with my Bose headphones with the 5s and generally prefer belts over armbands. I think what I'm finding is (as someone above pointed out) that the iPhone 6 probably fits my lifestyle better given my activities. I've been trying to make the Plus work for me, but it's probably not the right fit.
    09-29-2014 02:21 PM
    They make shirts for concealing a firearm. I have one and it's actually nice to keep your phone in while doing stuff like this. It's padded and sweat proof.
    09-29-2014 02:31 PM
    Id love to use the old iPhone 5 I have as a walking/running phone, however swapping out the SIM card would really get annoying day after day
    09-29-2014 02:32 PM