iPhone 6 Plus bend-ability...a 30 day (or more), long term, legitimate test...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
(Mods, can I get this stickied so it can be used as a kind of reference?)

So it appears Apple has a "problem"...the iPhone 6 Plus apparently bends and flexes under normal usage while in your front pocket. Well...since my front pocket is where my phone lives most of the time it's not being used while I'm out and about in my day to day life, I figured why not test it on a day to day basis...here's what I'll be doing...

- Everyday I'll take this level and check the condition of my phone.
- My phone will be, for at least part of the day, used/kept in my front pocket.
- My phone will be in the stock leather Apple case (but will be removed for picture/continuity purposes)
- Picture will be taken at the same spot in my house every time.

...I want to see if this device truly does bend, AT ALL, under truly NORMAL use. I'm a cop, so it'll be exposed to various things like lots of walking, getting in and out of a car all day, long periods of sitting in a car...as well as my private life stuff like riding my bike (where it's mounted in a handle bar case)...I ride 4-5 days per week for 10-20 miles at a time, and then normal every day stuff.

So here we go...DAY #1 (which is actually 6 days into usage):

i5LHM5I.jpg

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
(Mods, can I get this stickied so it can be used as a kind of reference?)

So it appears Apple has a "problem"...the iPhone 6 Plus apparently bends and flexes under normal usage while in your front pocket. Well...since my front pocket is where my phone lives most of the time it's not being used while I'm out and about in my day to day life, I figured why not test it on a day to day basis...here's what I'll be doing...

- Everyday I'll take this level and check the condition of my phone.
- My phone will be, for at least part of the day, used/kept in my front pocket.
- My phone will be in the stock leather Apple case (but will be removed for picture/continuity purposes)
- Picture will be taken at the same spot in my house every time.

...I want to see if this device truly does bend, AT ALL, under truly NORMAL use. I'm a cop, so it'll be exposed to various things like lots of walking, getting in and out of a car all day, long periods of sitting in a car...as well as my private life stuff like riding my bike (where it's mounted in a handle bar case)...I ride 4-5 days per week for 10-20 miles at a time, and then normal every day stuff.

So here we go...DAY #1 (which is actually 6 days into usage):

http://i.imgur.com/i5LHM5I.jpg

How do we know your **** isn't square? :)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Dumb question, but isn't the act of removing and putting on a case putting pressure on the phone? Me, I hate screwing with it. Once in the case, it stays in the case.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Awesome testing, but the phone should be naked, so that there isn't any additional reinforcements.

You'll have to find someone else to do that...I'm not used to the size of this thing yet, and don't feel comfortable without it in a case. Maybe later down the road, but let's face it, if you've felt the leather case, it's not providing substantial (if any) reenforcement to the device itself, and on top of that, if the bending issue is as bad as those pictures we've seen show, this case is only going to help a little if at all, and we will see small changes in the level eye.

@Cardfan...I hate taking it in and out of the case, but for the sake of the pictures, I didn't want any variation people could attribute to how the case was sitting vs. how the phone itself is sitting.

Just a little personal test for our community...I'm sure there are better ways to do this with more accurate results, but this is how mine will be done.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I am going to go out on a limb and say..... Nothing will happen!!
Good test and I don't blame you for doing it, maybe it will let some people calm down. If you believed everything you read on the Internet or saw on YouTube my iPhone 5S would be shaped like a boomerang and Apple will have already sold my fingerprints to every government on the planet.

xoxojess

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
This is going to be an awesome test. I can't wait to see the results. Thank you for doing this Sean!

Oh and be safe out there!

tattooed4515

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Also keep in mind though, if you don't experience any bending, you can't fully say the bending is a myth, as little as it may be, the phone still had a case on it which still adds to the strength.

Also +1 for being a cop. Even though you guys are a pita at times, I have a high level of respect for what you guys have to deal with.

TGR1

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Just a little personal test for our community...I'm sure there are better ways to do this with more accurate results, but this is how mine will be done.

More real than squeezing phones with all your might between your hands.

As for questions on the case adding support bias - LOL it's a tasteful Apple leather case. If anything like the one for the 5s I didn't think it was leather at first due to its delicate thinness.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Also keep in mind though, if you don't experience any bending, you can't fully say the bending is a myth, as little as it may be, the phone still had a case on it which still adds to the strength.

Also +1 for being a cop. Even though you guys are a pita at times, I have a high level of respect for what you guys have to deal with.

And I would never call it a "myth" (as it very obviously has happened to some people), even if I didn't try this test first hand...but what I will say is that under normal usage, my phone didn't (or did) experience any bending. Honestly, I know that doing this with the case will make some people discredit the entire deal, but that's ok with me...I'm doing it mainly for my own curiosity and to share with others so they can, perhaps, feel a little better about their investment.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
And I would never call it a "myth" (as it very obviously has happened to some people), .

I mean do we know who those people are ? Did anyone vet them? There were less then 10 pics posted online

We've all seen in "fanboy" wars people literally buying products. Standing in line. Then destroying them right away

How do we all know this isn't the case.

etexans82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The results of your experiment will need to have an asterisk, meaning it had a case during testing. Maybe we can get someone who doesn't have a case do an experiment.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The results of your experiment will need to have an asterisk, meaning it had a case during testing. Maybe we can get someone who doesn't have a case do an experiment.

You can put whatever you want next to this experiment...I laid the control info out, it's up to whoever is reading it to take into account what they feel does or does not effect the outcome. Personally, I don't think this leather case will make a difference in regard to how bendable people are reporting this phone is, but hey, if you feel differently, asterisk away.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR