AT&T - Buy 6 Plus on Next plan or 2 yr. contract. . .??

B-17 Pilot

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Just trying to figure out which plan is best. Getting an iPhone 6 Plus and wondering if it makes sense to do the AT&T "Next" plan with the retail price spread over time (with no interest) or to go the traditional way with a 2 yr. contract? Doing the 10GB plan.

Thoughts. . .??

Mike

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Mike, do the math - are you going to keep the phone for 22-24 months? I know a lot of people on the next plan who want to upgrade every 12 months and do not mind leasing their phones. I on the other hand like to hold on to my devices for n reasons.

Here is my math if it makes sense:
I would upgrade 1 year using the 2 year contract (~$300) and buy the iPhone outright (~$750) the next year so that I average around ~$525 per year which is ~$45 a month but then I get to keep my iPhones.

B-17 Pilot

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Mike, do the math - are you going to keep the phone for 22-24 months? I know a lot of people on the next plan who want to upgrade every 12 months and do not mind leasing their phones. I on the other hand like to hold on to my devices for n reasons.

Here is my math if it makes sense:
I would upgrade 1 year using the 2 year contract (~$300) and buy the iPhone outright (~$750) the next year so that I average around ~$525 per year which is ~$45 a month but then I get to keep my iPhones.

Hey Sau,

Yes, I plan to keep the 6P for a couple of years and will probably opt for the 18 month deal. Will use the 10GB data plan.

Thanks for the get back! Mike

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought my phone outright, I wasn't getting sucked into the next plan. I usually keep my phones for 2 years (like I did with my iP5) and it just makes more sense for me to pay $500 for my 6+ instead of paying $47.50/month for 20 months.

There is the new share data price, which is $40 now instead of $25 (if you go with NEXT you keep the $25 data). But even with that savings it's still beneficial to buy the phone outright.