There are a few cases of the iPhone 6 Plus bending, circulating online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
People have also been hit by meteorites...it can and has happened, they've explained what they were doing when it happened, and provided evidence of such.

Today when I went outside, I was not worried, in any facet, about being hit by a meteorite.
That's not really the same thing at all.....

Since you have zero control of the meteorite, but full control of the phone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
HTC could have (and maybe should have) put more texture on it. Or, you know, give users 6 months of free screen replacement no questions asked (which they did). So they addressed the design decision before it became a problem.
So then what do you think Apple should do to address this problem that seems to be happening to a very, very small minority of users? If HTC knew the phones were slippery, they shipped a phone with a problem. It didn't become a problem after it was shipped. If they're offering 6 months of free screen replacement then they essentially knew what they were shipping out.

You're saying that Apple must have known about this issue and given their track record with mainstream media getting on them about "gate this, gate that", Apple said "Screw it. We'll just ship it because who cares about the bad press we know we are going to get."

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I find it funny that one or two cases have been reported out of millions of units and it's all of a sudden a "problem". I don't get why everyone gets so hyped up about this when we don't even know the real story behind why these devices bent (was it accidental or intentional)? Basically all we have is hear say with zero proof. The one video we do have is from a guy whaling on his phone which I'm sure most of us wouldn't do to a $900+ piece of electronics.

I'm sure more iPhone units exist in the real world with faulty batteries or hardware, but that isn't stopping people from buying them. Basically everyone should just calm down and see what happens. If it's an actual design flaw, we will know in the coming weeks. If it's a fluke than it'll all blow over and no one will be talking about it.

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So then what do you think Apple should do to address this problem that seems to be happening to a very, very small minority of users? If HTC knew the phones were slippery, they shipped a phone with a problem. It didn't become a problem after it was shipped. If they're offering 6 months of free screen replacement then they essentially knew what they were shipping out.

You're saying that Apple must have known about this issue and given their track record with mainstream media getting on them about "gate this, gate that", Apple said "Screw it. We'll just ship it because who cares about the bad press we know we are going to get."
HTC shipped a phone made out of aluminum and put something in place to deal with a common issue of the material of choice. They knew that the affected group would be a small minority. Same case here.

Your comparison is perfect actually. Apple is well aware of the limitations of aluminum and didn't do anything to address it at all. Both companies obviously value what using aluminum brings to the table. One company (HTC) knows it's not a perfect material. The other (Apple) ignored that fact.

Apple may or may not have known. We can't know that right now. If they knew than yes, they basically had to decide to accept that this could result in bad press. If they didn't know than it's all in what, if anything, they decide to do about it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
HTC shipped a phone made out of aluminum and put something in place to deal with a common issue of the material of choice. They knew that the affected group would be a small minority. Same case here.

Your comparison is perfect actually. Apple is well aware of the limitations of aluminum and didn't do anything to address it at all. Both companies obviously value what using aluminum brings to the table. One company (HTC) knows it's not a perfect material. The other (Apple) ignored that fact.

Apple may or may not have known. We can't know that right now. If they knew than yes, they basically had to decide to accept that this could result in bad press. If they didn't know than it's all in what, if anything, they decide to do about it.

We already know that we're not going to agree so I won't argue that anymore.

But what about the question I posed to you?

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
We already know that we're not going to agree so I won't argue that anymore.

But what about the question I posed to you?
One time replacement, same as HTC. Such a small group of affected people shouldn't cost them much.

Plus the good press of taking care of this unexpected issue.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
That's a ridiculous thing to say. Nobody is using this phone in a way that isn't proper. Putting a phone in a pocket is very common. It's a known use case for manufacturers.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

I was just messing around dude. Stirring the pot. Don't take what I post too seriously. Like ever. I don't. :p

ಠ益ಠ

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
The guy in the small pic is the one who said it bent in his pocket. End of discussion (Im not trying to be mean but come on, seriously)
Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 6.03.56 PM.png

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I think i see your point. But that's pretty messed up to immediately dismiss his claim with that basis. Secondly the fact that is "news" outside the tech world makes me sad.

ಠ益ಠ
Im not trying to be mean but come on and its a valid argument. Im sure he's a nice guy and smart but there but in this.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
You can see the pants he has on can fit an iPad mini in the pocket that supposedly bent the iPhone. He posted about it on g+

I don't doubt the fact that the iPhone bent in his pocket. Between this and the other guy using all his strength to bend it makes the argument stupid.

tattooed4515

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
What someone needs to do is do a legitimate test. Not pressing on it with your hands. Put an iPhone 6 plus in a pocket and run walk bend down stretch etc with it in there. Do some extreme stretching or whatever. Then take it out and see if it's bent. That will tell us what's up.

I'm not about to try this with mine, but if someone wants to send me one I will gladly try it.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
What someone needs to do is do a legitimate test. Not pressing on it with your hands. Put an iPhone 6 plus in a pocket and run walk bend down stretch etc with it in there. Do some extreme stretching or whatever. Then take it out and see if it's bent. That will tell us what's up.

I'm not about to try this with mine, but if someone wants to send me one I will gladly try it.

I don't think thats realistic. If you go out and do exercise with a $1000 mini tablet in your pocket, chances are that it will bend, crack, or warp.

tattooed4515

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I didn't say go for a 20 mile run. Ever run to your car in the rain? Drop something and bend over to pick it up or bend down? Step up on something where you have to lift your leg up pretty high? This stuff. Real world stuff. Bending a phone with your hands is not real world. Pretty sure we all knew the phone would bend if you did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW