There are a few cases of the iPhone 6 Plus bending, circulating online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Oh and by the way,

THIS JUST IN:

If you take a Macbook Air and force it open past the hinge you will bend the aluminum and probably crack the screen. But lets test it to make sure.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Oh and by the way,

THIS JUST IN:

If you take a Macbook Air and force it open past the hinge you will bend the aluminum and probably crack the screen. But lets test it to make sure.

We should make YouTube videos so people can take an already exaggerated situation even further! After all, we are all going to do this in real life

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
It's natural to be concerned but this is over 2 people and whole lot of exaggeration. If you don't feel like you can reasonably situation a large phone then that's absolutely ok, get the six. We all respect your decision even if some don't agree.

I think I can handle the large phone just fine. I'm a bigger dude, like I said. And I have big hands. But this bending issue seems to be a big deal and is quite unsettling.

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious. Does everyone think that this is the first phone that the people that reported the bending have ever used? Does everyone think that this is the first phone that they have put in their pockets and sat down with?

Nobody is trying to deny "basic physics" (does beg the question of whether or not those talking about "basic physics" have any actual qualifications to speak about it). Of course things will bend and break with enough pressure or force. The issue is that it seems to take far less to reach those limits with the iPhone 6+ than with other large phones.

There definitely concessions that need to be made when designing a product, and one of those is whether strength is more important than other things. Other companies have shown that you can have an aluminum phone that isn't as prone to bending or warping. Heck, there are large plastic phones that don't seem to bend as easily (in admittedly unscientific testing).

What I would like to see is someone somewhere actually do the proper tests with the appropriate equipment to determine if it's actually less rigid than other phones of similar size or not.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh and by the way,

THIS JUST IN:

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Nobody is using this phone in a way that isn't proper. Putting a phone in a pocket is very common. It's a known use case for manufacturers.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

TomsAndroid

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
When we speak about physics, it's just a fancy word for common sense.

Yes, you guys are right. Common sense and physics tells us that a large, thin aluminium phone will bend easily under pressure. So why did Apple design it to be that way?! Surely their design team also has common sense...

These bend tests are stupid though. Plus, I keep my phone screen in when I carry it, so they're bending it the wrong way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Reports that the 6+ will bend in your pocket if you're seated long lengths of time:
- articles reporting such on the Internet with little to no substantiated backing
- several pics of bent phones """claiming""" to be from being in pockets while sitting
- a video where 'extreme pressure' using two hands bends it as well as other phones

Proof that the 6+ will bend in your pocket if you're seated long lengths of time:
- claims by one of our thousands of members (0)
- news articles with substantiated proof the pics of bent phones were due to pocket use (0)
- videos showing the 6+ bending while in the pocket of a person sitting (0)

I hope some of you calmly back away from the ledge until at least a smidge of proof surfaces that a pocket caused this uproar.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Reports that the 6+ will bend in your pocket if you're seated long lengths of time:
- articles reporting such on the Internet with little to no substantiated backing
- several pics of bent phones """claiming""" to be from being in pockets while sitting
- a video where 'extreme pressure' using two hands bends it as well as other phones

Proof that the 6+ will bend in your pocket if you're seated long lengths of time:
- claims by one of our thousands of members (0)
- news articles with substantiated proof the pics of bent phones were due to pocket use (0)
- videos showing the 6+ bending while in the pocket of a person sitting (0)

I hope some of you calmly back away from the ledge until at least a smidge of proof surfaces that a pocket caused this uproar.

Or go ahead and jump. The gene pool could use a good cleaning out.

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
When we speak about physics, it's just a fancy word for common sense.
No. Physics is a branch of science. People go to school for years just to say they're experts.

Common sense says that people have different use cases and brushing off the experience of a few because you disagree with the results, experience, or whatever is foolish.

There is a problem. People will need to adjust the way they use their phone around the device instead of the device fitting their use case. Some will be more than ok with that, and others won't.

Also:

https://plus.google.com/106631699076927387965/posts/VEQdamVHhDM

https://plus.google.com/106631699076927387965/posts/UPBY8JxtngN

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No. Physics is a branch of science. People go to school for years just to say they're experts.

Common sense says that people have different use cases and brushing off the experience of a few because you disagree with the results, experience, or whatever is foolish.

There is a problem. People will need to adjust the way they use their phone around the device instead of the device fitting their use case. Some will be more than ok with that, and others won't.

Also:

https://plus.google.com/106631699076927387965/posts/VEQdamVHhDM

https://plus.google.com/106631699076927387965/posts/UPBY8JxtngN

Experience of a few.

You just made the entire point for us.

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Experience of a few.

You just made the entire point for us.
You missed the entire point that I was making. But let's go with your train of thought. A very small minority of people ever have a problem with their phone, whatever phone that may be. I guess that would mean those problems don't exist either or aren't a concern either right?

I'm guessing you didn't click the links I posted. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Not me. I’ve had my 6 Plus for almost a week, and I use it and carry it exactly like I have always carried my cell phone - from my Motorola StarTac through various other dumb phones, to BlackBerry to iPhone. I carry them in my back pocket. I take it out of my pocket before I sit down. Always have. Always will. No changes necessary.

There are an extremely limited number of "reports" of this issue. The naysayers are busy beating the drums to make it sound like a widespread issue that every iPhone 6 Plus owner is experiencing. I call B.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW