There are a few cases of the iPhone 6 Plus bending, circulating online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanlberg

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have had every iPhone from the beginning i'm not ******** about a non-issue but there is no reason that It should bend just from being in my dress pants pocket.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok so generally if you feel the two ends digging into your flesh no matter how hard, you should probably re-situate the phone. The ONLY way it can bend is if you create a pivot and a point of force application. With a phone this size, why do you think you can treat it as a normal phone? My friends with notes don't just put it in their pockets and sit down. They take it out. There is ZERO way to bend it without a pivot point and a point of force application. I'm sorry but if that is the case, you discovered some unknown physics

Source: I'm a physicist

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
In a few weeks, the aluminum bumpers or cases with more rigid edges will be out. Not worried about my iPhone 6+ but does it really need to be only 7.1 mm thin and have the camera stick out a mm. They could stand to go 7.5 or so mm thick and make it more rigid going forward.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
One thing that is funny that I noticed is the way they are all bent. They are bent screen out and everyone including myself that put their phones in a pocket put them screen in. Just an observation.

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Most interesting to me is the followup video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0

I would chalk this up as a major design flaw, one that's prompting me to cancel my preorder and reconsider this issue in a month. If you all are still happy with your 6+ then great. I don't want to worry about this though. I'm going to wait until they've been out for a little while and some consensus on this issue can be achieved.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I won't be keeping the Plus in my pocket if/when I get one, but this does concern me a bit. We all know what Jobs would say if he were still alive, but I wonder what Apple will say.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Most interesting to me is the followup video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0

I would chalk this up as a major design flaw, one that's prompting me to cancel my preorder and reconsider this issue in a month. If you all are still happy with your 6+ then great. I don't want to worry about this though. I'm going to wait until they've been out for a little while and some consensus on this issue can be achieved.

It's only interesting if you don't realize what you're watching...which is a plastic phone being compared to an aluminum phone in terms of bending.

Guess what other popular device has the same kind of bending "issue"? The iPad Mini/iPad Air.

Guess how many people are talking about that? Nobody.

Why you ask? Because this isn't an issue.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It's only interesting if you don't realize what you're watching...which is a plastic phone being compared to an aluminum phone in terms of bending.

Guess what other popular device has the same kind of bending "issue"? The iPad Mini/iPad Air.

Guess how many people are talking about that? Nobody.

Why you ask? Because this isn't an issue unless you have an agenda that involves slamming Apple.

There, I fixed that for ya.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Guys and gals, I'm really open minded and I actually had an argument over Facebook over this tonight. I've been thinking about this a lot and I want to make sure I got things correct:

There are two people from MacRumors who were at a wedding with dress pants and apparently put it in their pocket while driving.

I have some questions because I cannot make sense of this. How is it possible for this phone to bend in what is equivalent to DOCKERS pants just from sitting in your pocket?

All of these photos look like they forgot they had a massive 5 inch phone in their pocket and started sitting down and said, "oh ****" and stood up again. In a pair of dockers, the phone is sitting sufficiently low in your pants that the top part, near the volume rockers, are sitting at the edge of the TOP of the pant pockets. When you sit down, your pants edge provides a pivot while your leg pushes out. Since the phone is so low, it cannot push up and instead pushes outward. However seeing how the phone is now pushing against the top of your pockets, the top part is flush to your hip and the bottom of the phone pushes outward while the top is flush to your hip. Hence the bending.

Can these people show the bruises on their legs? This is the only reasonable explanation to me. Aluminum is a METAL and hence MALLEABLE. It isn't plastic that can take the bending until you say, "oh ****" to yourself and correct your behavior. The plastic has give and since it is semi-rigid, it goes ALMOST back to being straight. Metal doesn't have this luxury.

To the poster in this thread who said their phone was bending: how many times have you forgotten that you had a 5" phone in your pocket instead of your previous iPhone and sat down?

We shouldn't say this is a lie because it is possible for this to happen IF the user of the phone isn't careful. This happened to the EVO and slightly to the M8 if you look at Google. People NEED to remember the massive phone they have in their pocket; you don't have a small phone anymore.

This has happened to the Z1: Xperia Z1 Screen and Body bent appears - User's fault or Hardware issue ?

This has happened to the Z2: Xperia SP Frame Bent Issue appeared like Xperia Z1 - Poor Build Quality or User's Fault ?

This happens when you have a phone that is delicate. Users NEED to know what they are getting into.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I remember antennagate . never had an issue. same with ding gate. but the purple fringing thing is true, and caused by apple's design decisions to make the phone thin when a thicker phone could hold a better camera. in this instance a thicker phone would be harder to bend, have a better camera, and better battery life. I don't know if the phone bends from normal use in a front pocket but if ti does, thats a legitimate concern.

my thought was that apple made it so thin so it could fit even hipster jeans.

well if this stuff is true hipster jeans will ruin it. which takes the only feasible reason I thought of for why apple made the phone so thin.

I'm not an apple basher. I'm an apple fan. I use apple exclusively. but no brand is above criticism.
and apples obsession with thinness deserves criticism imo. iphone 6 plus is still an awesome phone. mines on pre-order and I can't wait to have it. but I won't lie. I wish apple had made it thicker.
secondly samsung makes a version of their galaxy line designed for active people, as well as their normal galaxy line.

I've no doubt there are people who prefer apples ecosystem, who wouldn't mind a plastic durable, waterproof phone, thick with big battery and super camera.

I know I would. I'm not that active but I'd love the big battery, super camera and the feeling of security that it is a durable rugged product.

I wonder why apple doesn't offer that as an option. nobody here probably knows but I'm happy to listen to anybody's speculation.

if i ever got the honor of hanging out with Tim Cook, I'd ask him, but I doubt I'll ever get to meet him, much less ask him my questions.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the issue here is whether or not a freak accident can cause a phone made out of aluminum to bend. The proposed issue is whether or not normal use will cause the phone to compromise its inherent structural integrity. I don't believe the case has been proven as of yet. But it remains to be seen. It's way too early to decipher results from these documented cases. But it's definitely something to think about.

I doubt if "normal" use caused the device to bend. I've been using mine since launch morning & have had no issues. People need to use common sense.

TomsAndroid

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
lol...who'd of thunk it. AC trolls showing up to dance around like they've achieved something. F' off buddy...

I was thinking about joining you guys. I'd like to buy a 6 Plus some time in the new future. This...well...it isn't exactly inviting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Timm4y77

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I work with aluminum and stainless every day at work. I am not at all surprised with reports of a phone that thin bending. Depending on what type of aluminum they are using, will determine the amount of force needed to bend. Think about it, today's market is "size driven". People want the thinnest, lightest phone possible. Cost of materials, weight, strength, all come in to play when designing a frame. Something has got to give, literally. Bottom line, it took a ton of force to bend that phone. More than a normal person, during a normal day, would exert on a phone.

Timm4y77

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I remember antennagate . never had an issue. same with ding gate. but the purple fringing thing is true, and caused by apple's design decisions to make the phone thin when a thicker phone could hold a better camera. in this instance a thicker phone would be harder to bend, have a better camera, and better battery life. I don't know if the phone bends from normal use in a front pocket but if ti does, thats a legitimate concern.

my thought was that apple made it so thin so it could fit even hipster jeans.

well if this stuff is true hipster jeans will ruin it. which takes the only feasible reason I thought of for why apple made the phone so thin.

I'm not an apple basher. I'm an apple fan. I use apple exclusively. but no brand is above criticism.
and apples obsession with thinness deserves criticism imo. iphone 6 plus is still an awesome phone. mines on pre-order and I can't wait to have it. but I won't lie. I wish apple had made it thicker.
secondly samsung makes a version of their galaxy line designed for active people, as well as their normal galaxy line.

I've no doubt there are people who prefer apples ecosystem, who wouldn't mind a plastic durable, waterproof phone, thick with big battery and super camera.

I know I would. I'm not that active but I'd love the big battery, super camera and the feeling of security that it is a durable rugged product.

I wonder why apple doesn't offer that as an option. nobody here probably knows but I'm happy to listen to anybody's speculation.

if i ever got the honor of hanging out with Tim Cook, I'd ask him, but I doubt I'll ever get to meet him, much less ask him my questions.

You honestly think Apple had hipsters in mind when they designed the phone? Wow, that sounds like an Android user to me......

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
people want thin phones but I never heard anybody complaining about how ridiculously thick older phones were. Even if apple had just kept it as thick as the 5S it could have made it a bit harder to bend, stuck a bigger battery in it and avoided the camera sticking out. and nobody (or should i say almost nobody) would have complained about how thick the phones were.

I never even had issues with the 3GS iphone if apple had made it that thick it would have been much harder to bend, had a really huge battery, and better camera too. I remember people griping about their batteries since forever. I've never heard anybody griping about how thick apples phones have been. therefore making them thinner seems kinda moot. especially if you can't even put them in a tight pocket anyway because it'll get warped. (and why else would anybody want them thinner if not for tighter pockets?)

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Every time I start to feel comfortable with the intelligence level of my fellow man, something like this pops up. How, HOW, is this even an issue?

So if I understand, an iPhone 6+, IF left in a pocket for an extended period of time, bends. Not if merely left in pocket while walking, jogging, standing, etc. But IF in pocket while seated for an extended period of time. No way!

News flash. An iphone 6 or 6+ screen will shatter while sitting on a dining room table.......IF a hammer is dropped on it!
News flash. An iphone 6 or 6+ will overheat while in a car.......IF left in direct sunlight in the middle of July in Phoenix!
News flash. An iphone 6 or 6+ will suffer water damage while in your hand......IF you jump in a lake while holding it!

The fact that people find any need at all to sit on their device just blows my mind. I don't sit on my laptop. I don't sit on my glasses. I don't sit on my television's remote control. So why sit on your phone? If the front pocket is the issue, is there a feasible reason to not remove a phone this large prior to sitting??

I swear some of you could win the damn mega millions only to immediately ***** about the taxes.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You honestly think Apple had hipsters in mind when they designed the phone? Wow, that sounds like an Android user to me......
why else would apple make the phones thinner if not for hipster skinny jeans? this isn't an attack, its an honest question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox