My Galaxy note 3 would have never done this.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the whole "multitasking" thing is overhyped. Nobody, especially Android fanboys, knows what it means. They throw the Note up and say I'm running two apps on the screen at the same time!! Multitasking! Android invented it because iOS devices don't have it! Uh, no. That's called split screen multitasking, and all OSs can do it. Multitasking is the ability to play music while surfing the internet at the same time.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Android multi-tasking is the same as Apple's. Both forms put the dormant app into a lapsed memory state, when you pull up the app-switcher, it goes into it.

If you like Android, go with Android. I've switched back and forth for years, and the 6/6+ are enough to keep me with Apple.

Android's "open" nature is a bit of a misnomer. First - Google is starting to lock the OS down, quite a bit. Their latest software agreements with developers show that.

Second - Devs have too much access to the underpinnings of the OS. It's why some apps will just destroy your battery on an Android phone. It's also why Apple keeps their devices so locked down, same thing with iOS.

It's all about what works for you. I'm getting absolutely ridiculous battery life with the 6+. My wife was jealous last night, when her Droid Maxx was well below 50%, and I was humming along with well over 80% of my battery left, with similar usage.

Android, Apple, who cares. Get what works for you.

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I wish my note would have lasted to the end of the day. My problem would happen mostly when I would leave my house disconnecting from my wifi connection. It got to a point where I would have to cut off my data and gps just to make it last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sound like a setting or something. Regardless of platforms, the Note series is pretty well know to have very good battery life. I have owned a Z2 and Oneplus One which had serious battery life. Still not sure where the iPhone 6+ ranks. Still trying to find the optimal settings and need to have it at work for a week in my routine to see how it does for my usage patterns. I am a light to moderate user I would suspect.

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the whole "multitasking" thing is overhyped. Nobody, especially Android fanboys, knows what it means. They throw the Note up and say I'm running two apps on the screen at the same time!! Multitasking! Android invented it because iOS devices don't have it! Uh, no. That's called split screen multitasking, and all OSs can do it. Multitasking is the ability to play music while surfing the internet at the same time.

We get it, you don't like android. Call it what you want but the Note series of phones have many more features than just about any other device. Some use them, some don't. And there is no doubt the upcoming Note 4 will be a serious device! I have even contemplated getting one to go with my 6+, but I do not think my wife would stay married to me. That would be way more expensive!

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
We get it, you don't like android. Call it what you want but the Note series of phones have many more features than just about any other device. Some use them, some don't. And there is no doubt the upcoming Note 4 will be a serious device! I have even contemplated getting one to go with my 6+, but I do not think my wife would stay married to me. That would be way more expensive!

I don't mind Android, it's okay. I've owned several devices running Android over the last 5 years or so, it's just that I don't like it anywhere near enough for it to be my primary device. And Samsung doesn't have features per say, their modus operandi is throw **** at the wall and see what sticks. It's called bloatware.

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind Android, it's okay. I've owned several devices running Android over the last 5 years or so, it's just that I don't like it anywhere near enough for it to be my primary device. And Samsung doesn't have features per say, their modus operandi is throw **** at the wall and see what sticks. It's called bloatware.

Bloatware is something the carriers add after the OEM finishes the skin. If the "feature" is put in by the OEM you can either get the device or not get it. Bloatware is something the carrier adds that cannot be removed. One key reason I prefer unlocked, not carrier devices. I must applaud Apple that since 2007 they have not allowed carriers to change their devices which is why apple send out the updates instead of the carriers. Nexus devices are similar, but as we all know, there any many more choices of models and features in android and some like that, some don't. Just because someone does not want, need or use a feature from the OEM does not make it bloatware.

I have also owned many android devices and would self identify as an android user first. Liking my iPhone 6+ and will use it for a while till I get the Moto X I preordered 10 days ago, hopefully this week!

IrishFXDB

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I've had every iPhone released with the exception of the 4 and either of the 6 models. I've also had more Android phones than I can remember, as well as Palm, WebOS, Windows Phone 7 and 8, Windows Mobile and BlackBerry. I love mobile technology plain and simple. That said, let's be realistic... the iPhone can't do multi window and it didn't have good multitasking until iOS 7 and none at all until 6 if I remember correctly, with the exception being background music, which isn't what people in general refer to when they talk about multi tasking to get things done.

While you or I may call multi window a gimmick that doesn't mean it rings true for everyone. Some people truly have incorporated that into their day to day and for them it is key. Just because you don't use something doesn't mean you should discount it and just write it off as a gimmick. I guarantee all of the people that say it's stupid and not needed would change their tune if Apple adds it to iOS.

It isn't crucial to my life, but I'm not gonna lie... I loved using it when I had a Note 3 and I do miss it on all the phones I've had that don't have it. Not so much my 5s because of the screen size, but I always wished I had it on my iPad Mini and it would also fit right in on the 6 Plus I'm strongly considering picking up if I don't give the Note 4 a shot.

There is another feature that is often overlooked when it comes to the Note series and a few other phones seince, like the G3 - hover windows, or whatever they are called officially. I used to use that every single day when I had it. Working in my banking app on the go with a calculator in a smaller window on the screen at all times, for example. No switching back and forth, no losing state or getting logged out of the banking app.

These are good ideas and writing them off as gimmicks because your chosen OS doesn't have them is stupid. Apple should absolutely add those things to the 6 Plus and iPad lines. You can continue writing them off as gimmicks and not use them, but having them doesn't hurt anyone. Also, we all know that if Apple does add them they will likely do them better and with more elegance than anyone before so it is a win for everyone.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Edit: Yes, I'm on Android right now. This is my s5 that I got after using the 5s for 6 months and deciding I just wanted something different. As I said above, I'm considering the 6 Plus for my next phone so please no "Android fanboy" nonsense. I love cool phones and I personally think all fanboys of any phone should take a long walk off a short pier.

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I've had every iPhone released with the exception of the 4 and either of the 6 models. I've also had more Android phones than I can remember, as well as Palm, WebOS, Windows Phone 7 and 8, Windows Mobile and BlackBerry. I love mobile technology plain and simple. That said, let's be realistic... the iPhone can't do multi window and it didn't have good multitasking until iOS 7 and none at all until 6 if I remember correctly, with the exception being background music, which isn't what people in general refer to when they talk about multi tasking to get things done.

While you or I may call multi window a gimmick that doesn't mean it rings true for everyone. Some people truly have incorporated that into their day to day and for them it is key. Just because you don't use something doesn't mean you should discount it and just write it off as a gimmick. I guarantee all of the people that say it's stupid and not needed would change their tune if Apple adds it to iOS.

It isn't crucial to my life, but I'm not gonna lie... I loved using it when I had a Note 3 and I do miss it on all the phones I've had that don't have it. Not so much my 5s because of the screen size, but I always wished I had it on my iPad Mini and it would also fit right in on the 6 Plus I'm strongly considering picking up if I don't give the Note 4 a shot.

There is another feature that is often overlooked when it comes to the Note series and a few other phones seince, like the G3 - hover windows, or whatever they are called officially. I used to use that every single day when I had it. Working in my banking app on the go with a calculator in a smaller window on the screen at all times, for example. No switching back and forth, no losing state or getting logged out of the banking app.

These are good ideas and writing them off as gimmicks because your chosen OS doesn't have them is stupid. Apple should absolutely add those things to the 6 Plus and iPad lines. You can continue writing them off as gimmicks and not use them, but having them doesn't hurt anyone. Also, we all know that if Apple does add them they will likely do them better and with more elegance than anyone before so it is a win for everyone.

Edit: Yes, I'm on Android right now. This is my s5 that I got after using the 5s for 6 months and deciding I just wanted something different. As I said above, I'm considering the 6 Plus for my next phone so please no "Android fanboy" nonsense. I love cool phones and I personally think all fanboys of any phone should take a long walk off a short pier.

Omg I want it so bad! I hope apple brings real multitasking on some other iOS 8 update soon. There are some news about apple testing some multitasking features on iOS 8. Maybe it will be released with the new ipad idk. I'm crossing fingers.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the post. I'm wondering if it has something to do with how apple handles power consumption in marginal service areas. Or, it would have something to do with dual accelerometers?

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe someone can give me examples where split screen was useful? Maybe I am just stuck in apple land but I really don't know what I would use it for

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Bloatware is something the carriers add after the OEM finishes the skin. If the "feature" is put in by the OEM you can either get the device or not get it. Bloatware is something the carrier adds that cannot be removed. One key reason I prefer unlocked, not carrier devices. I must applaud Apple that since 2007 they have not allowed carriers to change their devices which is why apple send out the updates instead of the carriers. Nexus devices are similar, but as we all know, there any many more choices of models and features in android and some like that, some don't. Just because someone does not want, need or use a feature from the OEM does not make it bloatware.

I have also owned many android devices and would self identify as an android user first. Liking my iPhone 6+ and will use it for a while till I get the Moto X I preordered 10 days ago, hopefully this week!

You know that Moto X has 2012 technology right? It has the same screen resolution as the iPhone 6 Plus. And a smaller battery and less storage.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Managing your apps and settings for battery use is similar and as important for both phones.

People like their fan boy, tribal and rant behavior but I see these devices in significant numbers in my jobs. A demanding or daft Galaxy user has same problems as my Apple users do.

Go through your settings and app setup to make sure apps, reminders, and radios aren't working when not needed or when you need battery life.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The pop up Windows like a calculator are amazing. Or quick access to text messages without leaving the app your in. I use those everyday on my G3. I can't wait for my 6+ but a feature like that would be awesome.

IrishFXDB

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
On a phone, it's nothing more than a gimmick that Android users use to On a desktop with a widescreen monitor like my 30" widescreen I'm using now, you can have an Excel and a Word document on the screen full size.

Opinion as fact much?

You can use it to have two browser windows open, Evernote and your calendar, a browser and maps, etc. It makes a lot of things easier in the right situations and ignoring that completely because you think it's a gimmick is silly.

Even ignoring dual windows, the Note series and a few other phones also have hover windows, or foreground windows, which let's you run a small app in a window on top of another. It is awesome to have and I gave a very real example in my other post in this thread.

I say again, your choice to write off good ideas that have very real use in very real sitatuions as a gimmick is short sighted. There is no reason why Apple shouldn't add these things. If they do you can continue thinking they are gimmicks all you want and ignore using them, but having them doesn't hurt anyone and it just gives people that like these things the option to use them without possibly needing to jump he OS ship.

I'm not attached to them enough to choose a phone purely on those features, but they do hold sway. If they were added to the 6 Plus it would just make it that much easier for me to pick one up because I do like having them and using them when the time is right.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Opinion as fact much?

You can use it to have two browser windows open, Evernote and your calendar, a browser and maps, etc. It makes a lot of things easier in the right situations and ignoring that completely because you think it's a gimmick is silly.

Even ignoring dual windows, the Note series and a few other phones also have hover windows, or foreground windows, which let's you run a small app in a window on top of another. It is awesome to have and I gave a very real example in my other post in this thread.

I say again, your choice to write off good ideas that have very real use in very real sitatuions as a gimmick is short sighted. There is no reason why Apple shouldn't add these things. If they do you can continue thinking they are gimmicks all you want and ignore using them, but having them doesn't hurt anyone and it just gives people that like these things the option to use them without possibly needing to jump he OS ship.

I'm not attached to them enough to choose a phone purely on those features, but they do hold sway. If they were added to the 6 Plus it would just make it that much easier for me to pick one up because I do like having them and using them when the time is right.

Reading comprehension fail. I said Android users (meaning on the phone) is a gimmick, because seriously, who's more productive with two browser windows open at the same time? I can look at two different Mac sites at the same time? Hardly productive. Productivity is enhanced on the DESKTOP side, which is what I said.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
One person's gimmick is another person's useful feature. I still don't understand why you would have two browsers open(I can understand tabs) but maybe it's a business thing? My friend always likes to talk about dual windows on his Note; I just never understood why it would be more useful than tabs. He has never given me an example of how he uses it

Maybe Apple can utilize reachability to bring down one window and plop on top the next application card.?

IrishFXDB

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Reading comprehension fail. I said Android users (meaning on the phone) is a gimmick, because seriously, who's more productive with two browser windows open at the same time? I can look at two different Mac sites at the same time? Hardly productive. Productivity is enhanced on the DESKTOP side, which is what I said.

Seriously? That's your reply and you accuse me of having issues with reading comprehension?

Maybe you should read my entire post again, not just the few words about having two browser windows open, because I gave other examples and none of them had to do with using a 30" monitor and a desktop. I also touched on the other multiwindow functions these phones have that are supremely useful.

One person's gimmick is another person's useful feature. I still don't understand why you would have two browsers open(I can understand tabs) but maybe it's a business thing? My friend always likes to talk about dual windows on his Note; I just never understood why it would be more useful than tabs. He has never given me an example of how he uses it

Maybe Apple can utilize reachability to bring down one window and plop on top the next application card.?

I gave examples in my last post, aside from two browser windows.

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

Good point here about the reachability. It cuts the screen in half which would leave it open to place another window, or application on top (obviously would look better in landscape side to side though). Would be nice to have, there's no denying that. Just yesterday I was trying to go back and forth between ESPN.com and a calculator to come up with some specific baseball ERA numbers, and realized that the only way to realistically do it was to write down the information from the website and then use the calculator to get my numbers. Would love to have been able to keep the website open while the calculator is open as well. It's not asking too much and would truly be a useful feature to have. However, I think that if Apple was going to add it in, they would have done so with the big release of iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 plus

vitoa

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
That's interesting. I came over from a Note 3 and I don't think battery life is as good on the 6+. It may be caused from spending so much time trying to set everything up and editing all the double contacts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal