128 vs Apple Care Plus

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I was considering two new iPhone 6 Plus in the next few days (one for me, and another for my father). Both of us were considering the iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB then I thought of getting the 128 GB later which is 100$ extra and transfer the Apple Care Plus from my current iPhone 5S to the iPhone 6 Plus but Apple said that's not possible.

Currently I am living in Qatar (Middle East / Arabian Gulf region). I have the iPhone 5S with Apple Care Plus bought from Apple US last year. I have the 32 GB one with about 21 GB left.

I use my iPhone 5S mainly for contacting others, chatting and browsing the internet. I do have Apple iWork on it, Evernote and PDF scanner that I kind of rarely use as I do this mostly on my iPad Air. Regarding music, I stream it and rarely download any on my phone.

Why I am not downloading games or watching movies on my iPhone 5S? Probably because the screen is too small, or maybe because of the battery or maybe I just like AirPlaying them from my Mac or PC to my Apple TV at home instead to watch on a big TV.

So I don't really know if my usage pattern will differ on the iPhone 6 Plus, but if it doesn't I don't think I even need 64 GB, but since that's the only option other bigger than 16 so I might go with that.

Apple Care Plus doesn't work in Qatar of course, but I do travel once a year to the US, my dad could go once or twice more, which makes the Apple Care Plus kind of useful although I didn't need it yet for my iPhone 5S, but again I believe the iPhone 5S is much harder, I have seen some iPhone 6 Plus drop tests and they are really painful which makes me really worried something would go wrong with it.

I rarely drop my phone, and by rarely I mean once or twice a year, but again I have seen in some videos a 6 Plus dies on first drop which scares me even more.

So I kind of need your help, should I go 128 with basic warranty, 64 with Apple Care Plus or just 64 and keep the extra 99$ for a PS4 game and few iOS apps?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I always buy AC+, just adds peace of mind.

You mentioned "I thought of getting the 128 GB later which is 100$ extra and transfer the Apple Care Plus from my current iPhone 5S to the iPhone 6 Plus but Apple said that's not possible."

While it’s true that you cannot transfer AC+ from one device to another (except in the case of a warranty replacement, where the replacement device assumes the remainder of the original AC+ coverage), you CAN request a refund for the unused portion of the remaining coverage. Apple will refund it, prorated.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I always buy AC+, just adds peace of mind.

You mentioned "I thought of getting the 128 GB later which is 100$ extra and transfer the Apple Care Plus from my current iPhone 5S to the iPhone 6 Plus but Apple said that's not possible."

While it?s true that you cannot transfer AC+ from one device to another (except in the case of a warranty replacement, where the replacement device assumes the remainder of the original AC+ coverage), you CAN request a refund for the unused portion of the remaining coverage. Apple will refund it, prorated.

Yup. You can. I'm going to do the same thing today. Going to call and get my partial refund on that $99 I put down for AC+ on my old 5S.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner