Worst experience ever!!!

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Wow that's terrible.

Here it was surprisingly disorganized: the camp out was fun, but then at 5 am they told people to pack up their chairs and tighten the line, and then nothing happened. No tickets, no reservations, nothing. Around 8:30 they finally let people in in groups of 25, but since I had already paid for my phone I got in with the first 5 preorders.

The store was utter chaos, the wifi didn't work, the Apple easy pay system didn't work, Verizon customers had a really hard time connecting and setting up their devices, and it looked like they were going to run out of phones pretty fast.

It sounds to me that some kind of a glitch happened right before opening and that Apple tried to scramble up the best they could, though seeing the total debacle that I saw, I'd say they really should have been prepared for problems to happen and they clearly were not.

I got my phone but the whole experience could have been handled better. Especially knowing that their customers hadn't slept in 24 hours.

Yes they should have just a back up plan with the paper cards. Electronic errors happen all the time and it being the first year they did this they should have had a plan b. I was fine with going not knowing 100% if you'd get exactly what you want but to have my day totally wasted was infuriating.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
What an awful experience.

I guess luck has a lot to do with it too. I had problems with pre-order and had a few phones charged to my card but my carrier got it sorted. I don't think either way (line up or preorder) is full proof. Just luck.

Hope it works out

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Really sucks you had a bad experience. Very not the norm. Too be honest I think they used the cards here at the 5th Ave Apple Store in NYC. I was in the pre order line as well, everything went pretty smoothly however there were soo many people the wifi kept dropping in the store, and their ordering system was slower than normal. Only real negative thing is that when I was waiting to go in the store, some guy walked up and started pestering me and 3 other people in line asking us to buy him a phone and he would give us ever increasing sums of money toping out at like 6k. Needless to say he saw the wrong end of apple store employees and then the NYPD

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry for you poor experience but I'm deeply troubled why you have such a difficult time saying "this group of black people" but no problem mentioning the group of Koreans or how they were calling white people crackers? You are that scared of the implication of saying "black" when you are obviously describing such but "cracker" and "white people" is so easily permitted in the same context? Scary what America has become. It would have been better if you didn't get into details about what happened as we don't want to bring race into a phone forum, I'm just troubled by your choice of words. Reverse racism will end in disaster. Call things like they are and let the chips fall as they may.

STFU.

OP, that situation sounds pretty crappy...but let's keep in mind that your experience leading up to the actual release shouldn't reflect your opinions of Apple in terms of how they handled the shortage of stock. Sure, the employees could be more tactful and come around letting people know what the deal is with more frequency, but keep in mind that these employees are also dealing with A LOT of people who wouldn't pay a lick of attention to the details anyways. They also probably had to deal with finding out the REALITY of their stock manually, which was most likely not easy, and left the folks on the front lines with no info for long periods of time.

The fact people were buying multiple devices is not a rule they set...as far as I can see anyways people were allowed to buy up to 3 iPhones of either kind each. I mean it may seem unfair to you because you didn't get one, but there's no rule saying you can't, so in reality, it's perfectly fair.

Don't be so dramatic though and say Apple may have lost a customer. You're frustrated, sure...but you could have done more to get a device on release day, and you have many opportunities, depending on how badly you want the device, to get one in the next few days easily.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
OP, that situation sounds pretty crappy...but let's keep in mind that your experience leading up to the actual release shouldn't reflect your opinions of Apple in terms of how they handled the shortage of stock. Sure, the employees could be more tactful and come around letting people know what the deal is with more frequency, but keep in mind that these employees are also dealing with A LOT of people who wouldn't pay a lick of attention to the details anyways. They also probably had to deal with finding out the REALITY of their stock manually, which was most likely not easy, and left the folks on the front lines with no info for long periods of time.

The fact people were buying multiple devices is not a rule they set...as far as I can see anyways people were allowed to buy up to 3 iPhones of either kind each. I mean it may seem unfair to you because you didn't get one, but there's no rule saying you can't, so in reality, it's perfectly fair.

Don't be so dramatic though and say Apple may have lost a customer. You're frustrated, sure...but you could have done more to get a device on release day, and you have many opportunities, depending on how badly you want the device, to get one in the next few days easily.

I don't blame apple for the experience in the line, I blame the mall cops that allowed these people to remain in the line. My problem came from them lying about the situation and having no backup plan other than lying. When they first said the systems crashed right then and there they should have said we are working to get it back up as soon as possible but unfortunately we have no time frame of when it's going to happen and because of this we have no way to see what stock we have ahead of time. Right then and there before 8 am I could have left and gone elsewhere but instead we were told that they had been counting a printing cards and they would be brought out very shortly.

I take full responsibility in the fact that I stayed but I did so under false pretenses and had they given accurate information my choice would have been different. Continuing to lie about it I just felt at the point when I was like stop with the bs it was pointless to go elsewhere, the line there doubled in size, the employees said it was the same at every store and so I stayed. This particular store actually has pretty bad reviews about customer service compared to our other locations in town (didn't check that before I went sadly). Yes it was slightly dramatic to say I didn't want to buy anything else from them but at the time of this post I had no sleep and no new phone, I was entitled to be dramatic lol.

I will say I won't ever buy anything at that location again, not that it really makes a dent in their pockets but ya know. I also next year will pay closer attention to time on pre-order night so I can get it in at midnight or just wait after the hype dies down and buy it later. I wound up going to Sprint today, funny enough same location as last year that made me not go to a carrier store because of their bs $300 accessory package and this year they didn't do that so I went ahead and picked up a 6, got more trade in value and didn't wind up having to pay anything and wound up with like $30 credit on my bill. If I am desperate for the 6+ I have another upgrade in like 4 months or will stick it out until the s cycle.

I STILL BLAME HEISENBURG lolololol

Last edited:

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
^^^ Oh and most every company I know that has a hot item especially with low inventory always puts a limit on what you're allowed to buy. Last year it was 1 per person at the store I wound up at. You can think it's fair all you'd like but it really isn't. Apple would sell the same amount of phones if they let people buy whatever they wanted or if it was 1 per person so why irritate your customers by making them do without and having to spend their time hunting it down in the coming weeks. All they should care about is THEIR numbers and making THEIR customers happy, not making john doe $500 off of desperate idiots.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Again, you feel it's unfair because you didn't get what you wanted...but the reality is, if there is no regulation or rule stating a person can only have "x" amount of devices, it's perfectly fair that a person be allowed to buy as many as they want. What if they put a limit of 5 devices per person? You'd still think it was unfair, but they'd be following the guidelines you feel are what is needed to MAKE it fair.

For a couple of years my wife waited in line for the both of us to get our new iPhones...so she would end up coming home with 2 devices. I had to work, and because of my job I couldn't get back home to wait in line with her, so she would do it for the both of us. They allowed her to buy both devices, so I'm confused how you feel that isn't fair? You'd think she was leaving to sell the second device for a profit, but the reality is that she was bringing it home to me so we'd both have new iPhones. I mean you can assume whatever you want, but there's no logic in it.

It's like saying it's unfair there are lines for roller coasters at Six Flags because you are at the end of the line...there are no rules against how many people can line up before you, so it's perfectly fair that they are getting to ride before you get to.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame that you had such a bad experience in the line but please don't let that colour your view of Apple. After all, the devices are completely different from the staff who man the stores and completely different from the experience you will receive when visiting a store on any other day of the year.

Buck1127

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I just have to share my experience with those that are freaks like I am lol. I decided to go with Town Square (first mistake) and I arrived at 11:30 Thursday night to a huge line of already about 160 people. For the 1st hour it was great, exactly what everybody had described fun people who are also passionate about the products, ect ect. At 12:45-1 one of the people I was chatting with had a friend that called them and said they were at Fashion Show mall and to come there and they invited us all to come but I declined their offer and decided to stay where I was at (2nd mistake). When they all left 2 people moved up by me, these 2 people didn't bother me until 20 minutes later when what I thought was a group of their friends arrived. These 6 people were the loudest, rudest, most racist group of people I have ever witnessed in my life. Every other word out of their mouth was n---- this and n---- that (I probably heard it close to 1,000 times in the last 24 hours). They were making such vile comments about every person that walked by and every ethnic group other than the one they belonged to. I put on my headphones trying to drown them out but I could still clearly hear what they were saying.

Fast forward to 6 am the employees start getting there telling people they will be by shortly to take orders and to get us our reservation. My plan at this point was to get it and leave so I didn't have to listen to the group behind me but then there was no other mention of it until 7:45. At that time the guy comes and says the system crashed and that they were working on getting physical cards (why this wasn't this done as back up to begin with is beyond me) but they were still opening at 8 and for everybody to be patient. Around this time my phone died so for the next few hours I knew it was getting later but honestly had no clue about exactly how long I had been there. Every 30-40 minutes or so these employees kept coming around "oh its gonna be moving in 10 minutes, the cards are coming shortly, blah blah blah) I finally was like stop lying to people you're just pissing everyone off more giving false times just let people know whats up so they can make a choice. At this point I'm pretty close to the finish line (comparatively anyways) when they start shouting things they were out of) and right when I was getting close to turning the corner bam they sold out of the last one for my carried (I was even going to buy larger and a different color because after standing for so long I didn't want to leave empty handed). By the time I left it was 12:30 so 13 hours later and no phone!!!! With the amount of time the outside employees spent talking to each other about non work things and checking their personal devices they could have been writing a list down of peoples carrier and what they wanted 10 at a time and checked the stock with the person who was telling them it was available/sold out. Instead this store decided it was totally fine to let people stand there wondering what was going to happen.

Yes I could have left but you know when you've waited for so long what's a little longer? That's exactly how I felt. I also knew that then had wasted so much of my time that if I was to go elsewhere my odds of finding what I wanted was probably as good as where I was at. The employees were just kind of like meh oh well about the situation too. I had also got out of line to use the bathroom twice and why in the world could they have gone through 30+ preorder people and let in 10 people who had been waiting all night? If others areas system crashed I didn't read anything like what was going on at our location which makes me even more mad. They also were allowing people to buy multiple devices which is not fair at all, it's bad enough when 1 person camps out and then 9 of their friends show up before opening but when those 10 people are buying 2 devices each it's not cool at all.

So that's my rant lol, I just had to get it out there. I will never in my life do this again and I honestly think Apple lost me as a customer with this BS. I called and filed a complaint, the people I talked to were so nice and helpful and they put in a thing for the manager to call me and they requested that I be contacted when what I was looking for comes in and it be placed on hold for me that day but we will see about that. Did anyone else have a horrific experience?? For those that didn't, I hope you're enjoying your new phone!

Sorry to hear about your experience. I tried the same when iPhone first came to verizon. I waited in line for lost 12 hours. Even had some deputy dog mall cop tell me I couldn't sit on the mall floor. Told him go ahead try and stop me and I would stick that fake nightstick where the sun don't shine. Never again. This launch day I sat at the house played poker and had a few beers with dad. He had come over to see me. And 1:30 US came with my new gorgeous 6+ 128gb space grey. Me and precious has been inseparable since then lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Again, you feel it's unfair because you didn't get what you wanted...but the reality is, if there is no regulation or rule stating a person can only have "x" amount of devices, it's perfectly fair that a person be allowed to buy as many as they want. What if they put a limit of 5 devices per person? You'd still think it was unfair, but they'd be following the guidelines you feel are what is needed to MAKE it fair.

For a couple of years my wife waited in line for the both of us to get our new iPhones...so she would end up coming home with 2 devices. I had to work, and because of my job I couldn't get back home to wait in line with her, so she would do it for the both of us. They allowed her to buy both devices, so I'm confused how you feel that isn't fair? You'd think she was leaving to sell the second device for a profit, but the reality is that she was bringing it home to me so we'd both have new iPhones. I mean you can assume whatever you want, but there's no logic in it.

It's like saying it's unfair there are lines for roller coasters at Six Flags because you are at the end of the line...there are no rules against how many people can line up before you, so it's perfectly fair that they are getting to ride before you get to.

Your six flags analogy would only make sense if that after all the people in front of you in line got to ride it as many times as they wanted because they got there first. With that said, like at an amusement park if they want more they can get in the back of the line. Under your logic you can be the 2nd person in line and if the person in front of you wanted to buy their whole stock of phones it is acceptable. Obviously that is a scenario that I'm sure would 99.9999999999999999999% never happen but hey since there are no set limits at some stores it might some day it might happen and that it would be perfectly fine. I work also, probably more than most but I'm lucky enough that I make my own schedule and where I live its a 24/7 city so many people don't work 9-5 jobs so it's probably easier for us to line up than in other areas. It's really a moot point and we can agree to disagree, bottom line is life isn't fair so why should a line up for a phone that nobody really needs lol. You might change your mind if it actually affected you and if it doesn't you're much easier going than I am. I guess I should feel bad for all the years that I was fun and went out every night and breezed passed the lines and clubs and got right in with free bottle service while others didn't even get in after waiting all night.... I bet those people hated me and my friends and called us names haha

Buck1127

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Your six flags analogy would only make sense if that after all the people in front of you in line got to ride it as many times as they wanted because they got there first. With that said, like at an amusement park if they want more they can get in the back of the line. Under your logic you can be the 2nd person in line and if the person in front of you wanted to buy their whole stock of phones it is acceptable. Obviously that is a scenario that I'm sure would 99.9999999999999999999% never happen but hey since there are no set limits at some stores it might some day it might happen and that it would be perfectly fine. I work also, probably more than most but I'm lucky enough that I make my own schedule and where I live its a 24/7 city so many people don't work 9-5 jobs so it's probably easier for us to line up than in other areas. It's really a moot point and we can agree to disagree, bottom line is life isn't fair so why should a line up for a phone that nobody really needs lol. You might change your mind if it actually affected you and if it doesn't you're much easier going than I am. I guess I should feel bad for all the years that I was fun and went out every night and breezed passed the lines and clubs and got right in with free bottle service while others didn't even get in after waiting all night.... I bet those people hated me and my friends and called us names haha

I happen to agree with your opinion. As a company apple should have worked with carriers to limit the upgrades. Especially demand will out weigh supply which is the case yearly. It's certainly fair the could impose only 1 per customer rule. It's done all the time by retailers. This is to insure that their is ample supply for all. Once inventory is back up then additional phones can be purchased. For those who disagree with you, if the roles were reversed they certainly would be on this forum complaining they did not get what they want

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

We'll just have to agree to disagree I suppose...I have been in the situation you are in (although not with the iPhone)...and honestly, while frustrated, at no time was I ever threatening to stop being a customer because stuff like this happens. If you ended up at a store where they were handing out iPhone's like candy and weren't putting limitations on them, it does suck...email Apple, get in contact with the store manager and watch how fast they treat you like a VIP. It's Apple, they don't want ANY customer to be upset for any reason.

That said, there was nothing unfair about the situation, even if it was inconvenient for you. I would have been frustrated about your entire experience for sure...but it is what it is.

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I remember when two guys in the line tried to sneak in their girlfriends and the apple employee, actually it was one of the managers, saw it and called security to get them out of there. I remember when he yelled that it was unfair to those waiting for long hours and to those behind them. But again, there was a lot of security around the line. The store i went to only allowed people to buy two phones. One with upgrade and the other one HAD to be full price. They said because they didn't have much iPhone plus. and there was a lot of people.

I think the store i went to managed the launch day pretty well!! id go again. next time more drunk to not feel the long hours lol.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
We'll just have to agree to disagree I suppose...I have been in the situation you are in (although not with the iPhone)...and honestly, while frustrated, at no time was I ever threatening to stop being a customer because stuff like this happens. If you ended up at a store where they were handing out iPhone's like candy and weren't putting limitations on them, it does suck...email Apple, get in contact with the store manager and watch how fast they treat you like a VIP. It's Apple, they don't want ANY customer to be upset for any reason.

That said, there was nothing unfair about the situation, even if it was inconvenient for you. I would have been frustrated about your entire experience for sure...but it is what it is.

I already said I was being dramatic when I wrote this, I had no sleep and no phone lol. I have slept and calmed down since then and bought a 6 yesterday at my carrier store. It actually worked out because they gave an even better trade in and after playing with this, I see that it is big (it looked puny next to the +) and the 6+ is probably too big for*my* everyday liking. I actually did call apple about it, the person that took my call was so nice and so was the manager person he wanted to transfer me to so they could hear about it. She said she was contacting the store and that they would get back to me probably within 24 hours and I still haven't heard a peep. I will give them the benefit that they are still busy but I won't be holding my breath on an apology.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I remember when two guys in the line tried to sneak in their girlfriends and the apple employee, actually it was one of the managers, saw it and called security to get them out of there. I remember when he yelled that it was unfair to those waiting for long hours and to those behind them. But again, there was a lot of security around the line. The store i went to only allowed people to buy two phones. One with upgrade and the other one HAD to be full price. They said because they didn't have much iPhone plus. and there was a lot of people.

I think the store i went to managed the launch day pretty well!! id go again. next time more drunk to not feel the long hours lol.

Hahahaha yes, I should have left with the fun group that was heading to the other store I was going to they were stopping for beer and tacos on the way. That was also another problem at the store, 1-2 people were in the line and then between 4 and 6 am a whole bunch of their friends showed up! The people directly in front of me went from 2 to 9 people, the line easily went from 140 in front of me to 250+. Its also an outdoor mall with lots of buildings the line was wrapped around with several breaks in between the lines, when it moved there were people cutting left and right. A guy in scrubs cut in front of me, I said something and he was like oh I didn't know I just saw a line and then continued to stand there! I was like well you can see there are numerous people behind me and now that you have been informed move to the back and he only moved when they were announcing no tmobile phones left. The security at the store I was at last year was strict, they were literally 1 every 3-5ft if you even moved off the railing they were right there telling you to get back in the line and the phones were 1 per person so I came expecting the same. People mentioned about the monthly payment things, were they doing that in store? It's probably why there were so many more people! Even on a contract there are a lot of people that can't pay 200-500 for a phone but now that they can pay monthly it opened up their products for a lot more people.

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hahahaha yes, I should have left with the fun group that was heading to the other store I was going to they were stopping for beer and tacos on the way. That was also another problem at the store, 1-2 people were in the line and then between 4 and 6 am a whole bunch of their friends showed up! The people directly in front of me went from 2 to 9 people, the line easily went from 140 in front of me to 250+. Its also an outdoor mall with lots of buildings the line was wrapped around with several breaks in between the lines, when it moved there were people cutting left and right. A guy in scrubs cut in front of me, I said something and he was like oh I didn't know I just saw a line and then continued to stand there! I was like well you can see there are numerous people behind me and now that you have been informed move to the back and he only moved when they were announcing no tmobile phones left. The security at the store I was at last year was strict, they were literally 1 every 3-5ft if you even moved off the railing they were right there telling you to get back in the line and the phones were 1 per person so I came expecting the same. People mentioned about the monthly payment things, were they doing that in store? It's probably why there were so many more people! Even on a contract there are a lot of people that can't pay 200-500 for a phone but now that they can pay monthly it opened up their products for a lot more people.

lol. I'm sorry but i have to laugh when i read your posts. it cracks me up the way you say things.

well, yes. they were doing the monthly payments. I asked the employee why it was taking so long to move further (because i was dead, sleepy, tired and hungover!!! i even fell asleep in my partners shoulder on the floor lol) and she said that this year there were a lot of ways to pay for the phone and that the employees had to tell the customers everything in details. Besides the "easy pay" thing system shut down and so did the WIFI. it was a mess!!!

Next time don't go to that store and don't listen to heisenburg lmao. JK.

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I already said I was being dramatic when I wrote this, I had no sleep and no phone lol. I have slept and calmed down since then and bought a 6 yesterday at my carrier store. It actually worked out because they gave an even better trade in and after playing with this, I see that it is big (it looked puny next to the +) and the 6+ is probably too big for*my* everyday liking. I actually did call apple about it, the person that took my call was so nice and so was the manager person he wanted to transfer me to so they could hear about it. She said she was contacting the store and that they would get back to me probably within 24 hours and I still haven't heard a peep. I will give them the benefit that they are still busy but I won't be holding my breath on an apology.

Also, did you contact apple about this? or the store manager? id try to get at least a gift card out of this mess lol. And what phone did you get? plus or just 6?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR