Squaretrade vs. AppleCare?

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Personally, if I have to mail in my broken phone, I would rather stay with the carrier's insurance. The attractive part about Apple Care Plus is that you can just walk in to an Apple Store and talk to a real person. But Apple Care Plus does not cover stolen/lost phone. With the iPhone 6 being such a hot commodity, theft can be a big problem.

jayv1717

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Personally, if I have to mail in my broken phone, I would rather stay with the carrier's insurance. The attractive part about Apple Care Plus is that you can just walk in to an Apple Store and talk to a real person. But Apple Care Plus does not cover stolen/lost phone. With the iPhone 6 being such a hot commodity, theft can be a big problem.

I see! so your going to be getting Applecare? square trade does offer more replacements though doesn't it?

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I see! so your going to be getting Applecare? square trade does offer more replacements though doesn't it?

I am still debating whether I should get Apple Care Plus or insurance through Verizon, mainly because Apple Care Plus does not cover theft. As I have said, the iPhone 6 is probably the most sought after Christmas gift this year, and I have to worry about theft.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I went with square for a couple reasons. Lower deductible, allow more claims, monthly payment of $5 instead of paying full (this works for me since I often change devices), they allow you to get repairs at Apple stores and reimburse. So with these things just made an easier decision for me. But can't go wrong with either. I'd stay away from carrier insurance with their 200 deductibles.

jayv1717

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I am still debating whether I should get Apple Care Plus or insurance through Verizon, mainly because Apple Care Plus does not cover theft. As I have said, the iPhone 6 is probably the most sought after Christmas gift this year, and I have to worry about theft.
I see but those deductibles are ridiculous, I mean you still have find my iphone.. don't know how well that works though

I went with square for a couple reasons. Lower deductible, allow more claims, monthly payment of $5 instead of paying full (this works for me since I often change devices), they allow you to get repairs at Apple stores and reimburse. So with these things just made an easier decision for me. But can't go wrong with either. I'd stay away from carrier insurance with their 200 deductibles.
I agree! they do have some nice perks.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I see but those deductibles are ridiculous, I mean you still have find my iphone.. don't know how well that works though

Yup and it's easy to transfer and if you paid in full you can cancel and get prorated amount back. So having more flexibility works well for me.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Apple care+: walk into a store and get immediate help for 2 years, great service, doesn't cover theft, any refurb you get will be perfect
Carrier Insurance: expensive plus you have to pay very large deductible, questionable sdevices if you get an exchange(IMO), does cover theft, have to wait for phone to be shipped
Square trade: with coupon codes can come out cheaper than apple care, doesn't cover loss or theft, bonus of being able to get service at apple store, but you need preapproval and need to pay out of pocket and wait for reimbursement

AppleCare+ for the win!

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I know first hand that the Find My iPhone does not work. One of my family members had lost her iPhone more than a year ago. I tried to use Find My iPhone feature to locate it, but the phone was never turned on. We had also notified Verizon Wireless and they were monitoring it as well. If the phone gets turned on, it will connect to the Verizon network. But after a week of constant checking with no luck, she gave up and discontinued that line and got another phone. It is not fun if you lose your iPhone with no insurance and not legible for upgrade. People who took her phone knew what they're doing for sure. So I won't count on this feature.

mbern1008

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It's not going to be worth it for thiefs to steal iPhones anymore. if Find my phone is turned on then they will not be able to log into the device after it is restored. I debated square trade vs apple care plus but now that they are now $99 and only a $4 difference in deductible, I decided to go AC+ just overall less hassle.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I always go with SquareTrade, that's the best deal to me. They give you a lot more options, you get up to 3 claims and deductible is $75 each. They will overnight a replacement, or reimburse you for any Genius Bar or local shop repairs (for those of us who are impatient).

If you one day decide against coverage or you get a new phone, you'll receive a refund. I always go with the 2 year warranty for $99; after my coupons I end up paying $85, if that.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I never buy either for iPhone's since they get swapped out yearly for new models...EVERYTHING else I ever buy gets Squaretrade warranties on them except my Macbook Pro, which has Apple Care (since it's much easier to bring it in when something happens vs. having to mail stuff off and being down without a computer for an extended period of time.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The good thing about either is that if you get a new iPhone, you can always cancel the current covered phone and get your portion of what you paid back.

I paid my $99 for my 5S in December and canceled it today. Getting about $58 back.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
The good thing about either is that if you get a new iPhone, you can always cancel the current covered phone and get your portion of what you paid back.

I paid my $99 for my 5S in December and canceled it today. Getting about $58 back.

Same here. I am getting $54 back.

macdaddy222

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Do not go with square trade, they use fake Apple parts to repair your phone. I used to use square trade for years until I actually had to do a claim. They sent me back my phone with all generic blank parts. When I called them, their response was, "well does your phone work?" well shut up.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Do not go with square trade, they use fake Apple parts to repair your phone. I used to use square trade for years until I actually had to do a claim. They sent me back my phone with all generic blank parts. When I called them, their response was, "well does your phone work?" well shut up.

I also used Squaretrade for a long time and I have never filed a claim. I had a question the other day so I called them and boy was it a bad experience. I can only imagine how bad it would if I actually needed a replacement phone. I might just go without insurance this time, fingers crossed.

polo2883

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I will say go with AppleCare. Never had an issue getting the phone repaired. Schedule an appointment online walk in and they will swap the phone if needed. Sometimes they don't even charge the deductible. It all depends on your attitude and the mood of the genius bar.

Now that said our old 5s had AppleCare and somehow one of the genius bars guys out in Palo Alto fat fingered the serial number and swapped out my wifes phone. We live in NY. What makes it even more funny is that we were actually out in Napa, CA on our anniversary trip when it happened.

Other than that incident thats being fixed now by Apple we have no problems getting the phone serviced. My wife go her 4s swapped out last time when the power button stopped working in a matter of 20 minutes.

ryan2714

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had Apple Care for a few yrs now and love it. I use to do the repairs myself but even that can get pricey. If you live in an area with an Apple Store you'd be a dummy not to go with Apple. Just walk in the door and get a new phone for the deductible day of. Easy as pie.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Ryan. I would rather walk into an Apple Store and get it done than having to call somebody and mail in my phone for repair or replacement. With that said, since Apple Care + does not cover lost or stolen, I went ahead and bought the insurance from Verizon in addition to Apple Care +...... Double protection :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2