AT&T Upgrade eligibility ?

therandomone

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping someone might be able to answer this for me.

I ordered a 6+ from Apple.com using my upgrade with a 2 year contract. The order says it won't ship for 3-4 weeks. If I were to go to an Apple store and buy what I want, if available, would I still be able to use my 2 year upgrade, or would I have to cancel the original order from Apple.com first?
Basically, does the upgrade get used at the time of order, when I'm charged for the order, or when the new phone is activated?
If I did have to cancel the first order, is there a waiting period before my upgrade would be eligible again?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to think you'd be unable to use the upgrade by walking into the Apple Store being that you've already ordered online, but then again, if you can cancel the order beforehand, you should be all set. Anyway, call AT&T and/or Apple and get their take on it.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Based on what I've read, you would need to cancel the order prior to purchasing in store. However, I've also read that resetting the eligibility only takes a little while. I forget where I read it, but the person buying the phone got in line, got ready to purchase, and the sales rep helped them cancel the online order so the eligibility could be used on the in store purchase. (Don't know if this was through a carrier or through Apple, though.) YMMV, so I would contact Apple/AT&T ahead of time to inquire about it.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I canceled my online order, but my eligibility hasn't reset yet. I need to go to the Apple Store Friday when I try to pick the phone up. Whichever one I go with. Leaning maybe to the 6.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you canceled your order already I would go ahead and call AT&T ...

Already did. They can't do anything manually they said because I would need a device to return or something. Apple Store rep I talked to said its a common issue right now with people canceling orders and getting their upgrade available again. So I'm going to go their on Friday because they said they'll have people there to deal with upgrade issues.Still, there system is stupidly broken.

jessedholm

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
this exact same situation happened to me last year. It was a nightmare getting it fixed. ATT's system requires 24 hours for the eligibility status to be reinstated. It took a very long time on the phone with their supervisor and the supervisors supervisor to get my friggin eligibility to work out. Apple wanted to kick me out to sell the phone to someone else!!! it took that long!!!! Never preordering again if theres no confirmation of availability when I want it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2