Dumb question: Optical Image Stabilization(OIS)

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me what Optical Image Stabilization is in layman's terms and why I want/need it? All I do is take the occasional selfie and maybe some nature pics here and there. Just curious. What are the advantages in the real world?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me what Optical Image Stabilization is in layman's terms and why I want/need it? All I do is take the occasional selfie and maybe some nature pics here and there. Just curious. What are the advantages in the real world?

At a very high level, it allows for real-time stabilization of your photo shot. In essence, it reduces blurriness in pictures by compensating for shakiness while taking the picture. This is particularly noticeable when taking photos in low light.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
it compensates for your hand shaking or wind hitting your phone, etc... it will improve your pics overall but it won't make miracles ... other factors affect blurriness in pictures also

CycloneFW

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
It will allow your evening and dusk nature shots to come out better lit and less blurry. It won't help with your selfies as it's only on the camera on the back of the phone.