Settle an argument, please

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I put up with bricking and nuking devices and shoddy manufacturing such as off center trackpads. The thing that killed it for me, as much as I DO LOVE BB10 and my Q10, was the abandonment of native app development and the reliance on grabbing APKs to install Android apps. W H Y in all that is holy would I choose one platform and load it up with unsupported unoptimised apps from another?

That was the end for me. I actually got some Amazon apps to test that solution. Out of ten apps I loaded seven either did not run properly or not at all or were unusable.

I get a phone so that the phone works for me, not for me to find workarounds to mitigate deficiencies, such grabbing other platforms' apps without the consent and support of the developers.

BlackBerry turned its back on the consumer market. As a consumer, I feel no loyalty to a company that hasn't got or won't support what I want.

The day Apple pulls that kind of shenanigans I will leave Apple. Somehow I don't think that's likely to happen anytime soon.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives

I must agree with the apps issue: right now, since I also have an iPad Air and an iPod touch, if need apps, that's what I use. My iPad has cellular so it's easy, but if for some reason I don't have it with me, I must first fire up the hotspot on my phone, then it can use my iTouch. A bit of a pain, admittedly, but it works.

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
OP - I have used BlackBerry Z10 and honestly speaking, except keyboard and switching b/w apps everything just sucks on BlackBerry 10. Starting from highlighting/editing text, syncing contacts automatically from various accounts, no user profiles and let's just not even start on apps(even their native FB, Twitter apps are rubbish)

Looking at their upcoming devices - Passport and Classic clearly indicated the fact that they are only targeting prosumers. So, if you are one of them then go for it else iPhone is a perfect pick!

Good luck!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
FB is PAINFULLY AWFUL on my Q10.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
FB is PAINFULLY AWFUL on my Q10.

Haha, that's why I only Facebook from my iPad. I have used FB on my Q10 and the app is actually pretty fast, but my eyesight cringes everytime.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Well there are options that I'm used to on iOS and Android that are really badly implemented on BB.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
OP - I have used BlackBerry Z10 and honestly speaking, except keyboard and switching b/w apps everything just sucks on BlackBerry 10. Starting from highlighting/editing text, syncing contacts automatically from various accounts, no user profiles and let's just not even start on apps(even their native FB, Twitter apps are rubbish)

Looking at their upcoming devices - Passport and Classic clearly indicated the fact that they are only targeting prosumers. So, if you are one of them then go for it else iPhone is a perfect pick!

Good luck!

Hmmm. Is that why my contact list is such a mess on my Q10? I thought I was doing something wrong or not doing something I was supposed to... Right now I have multiple entries for every contact and I never even put those in.
Highlighting/editing, yes: I can do it, but whenever I can, I do it from my iPad. I have small hands but I would need hands the size of infants to be able to do it comfortably.

Aargh. *headdesk*

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
2 very diff devices. Anyone who's used bb10 will tell you it does not re boot like old bbos.
If you value using a keyboard to type like my wife then stick with the q10.

There are loads of posts on CB about Q10 devices rebooting simply by placing them on a table. Here is one such thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-q10-f272/sensitive-q10-reboots-when-set-table-hard-958601/

Additionally my Z10, when I had it, rebooted at random times during the day.

The BBOS devices didn't just reboot, they bricked and nuked randomly, leaving you without a phone in the middle of the day. Unless you happened to have an iPhone in your bag to keep you connected. As happened to me on 99xx devices and on the 9810.

QA on BlackBerry devices has been atrocious from BBOS7 on.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
There are loads of posts on CB about Q10 devices rebooting simply by placing them on a table. Here is one such thread.

I've been forced to use a Q10 for the past few days due to sending my iPhone to apple for the free battery replacement.
It has randomly rebooted twice while I was using it, and I've had several Android apps just destroy the phone, requiring a manual reboot.
This is on the "saviour" OS 10.3, so I don't see good things in the future...

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. Is that why my contact list is such a mess on my Q10? I thought I was doing something wrong or not doing something I was supposed to... Right now I have multiple entries for every contact and I never even put those in.
Highlighting/editing, yes: I can do it, but whenever I can, I do it from my iPad. I have small hands but I would need hands the size of infants to be able to do it comfortably.

Aargh. *headdesk*

My contacts list on my Q10 multiplies with the enthusiasm of oversexed Tribbles.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been forced to use a Q10 for the past few days due to sending my iPhone to apple for the free battery replacement.
It has randomly rebooted twice while I was using it, and I've had several Android apps just destroy the phone, requiring a manual reboot.

Oh dear Lord....I hope they get it fixed before the Passpoet is released. That's the saviour OS/phone combination, according to the faithful.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Blackberry lacks the apps needed to do the kind of photo work I do. You can't beat the apps of iOS, and there is a lot of them. If you don't like using apps, and texting is all you do, then a Blackberry is ok.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Meh, my personal experience Skye 2 q10s and z10 and 2 z30s none have ever randomly rebooted. Guess I'm just lucky

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

I had an Android app on my Q10. ONE. It slowed my phone to a crawl, I got rid of the app. I don't have 10.3 I have 10.2 something, and it works fine as long as I don't put any Android apps on it. Which is why I use my iPad when I need apps.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh dear Lord....I hope they get it fixed before the Passpoet is released. That's the saviour OS/phone combination, according to the faithful.

Worst part is that I think the saviour "Amazon app store" was responsible for one of the reboots. It was chugging away trying to download something right when the phone died.

I don't even think these reboots would bother a potential passport buyer. The phone is a relic of a time long since past. It's intended market is users who loved their rebooting keyboard phones. Less reboots is likely a feature for them compared to their old Bolds.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Worst part is that I think the saviour "Amazon app store" was responsible for one of the reboots. It was chugging away trying to download something right when the phone died.

I don't even think these reboots would bother a potential passport buyer. The phone is a relic of a time long since past. It's intended market is users who loved their rebooting keyboard phones. Less reboots is likely a feature for them compared to their old Bolds.

Hopefully they can resolve the issue whatever it may be before launch. Unless they only plan to sell to the base.

mmcfly23

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I put up with bricking and nuking devices and shoddy manufacturing such as off center trackpads. The thing that killed it for me, as much as I DO LOVE BB10 and my Q10, was the abandonment of native app development and the reliance on grabbing APKs to install Android apps. W H Y in all that is holy would I choose one platform and load it up with unsupported unoptimised apps from another?

That was the end for me. I actually got some Amazon apps to test that solution. Out of ten apps I loaded seven either did not run properly or not at all or were unusable.

This drove me crazy. I didn't mind loading android apps, however I was highly disappointed to find out that a lot of the apps didn't work properly. I felt like I paid a premium price for a sub par experience.

Sent From ipizzle using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
This drove me crazy. I didn't mind loading android apps, however I was highly disappointed to find out that a lot of the apps didn't work properly. I felt like I paid a premium price for a sub par experience.

Sent From ipizzle using Tapatalk

I know. Not cool.
Their earnings call is later this month and it's expected to be better than anticipated, by a whole lot.

Crossing fingers for them. I'm out but I wish the company well.

And I want the money I've put in shares to come back to me. Been in the red for years now. As soon as I recoup I'll sell.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully they can resolve the issue whatever it may be before launch. Unless they only plan to sell to the base.

I hope they can resolve a ton of the little issues so that it's at least a usable device.
The good news is that the future of the company doesn't rely on a phone at least.
The CNN interview last week was pretty telling; they're not about phones anymore.
But I have a feeling that they will take the "good enough" approach and launch another half-baked product that targets a very particular, dedicated demographic.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods