Otterbox Symmetry vs. Apple Leather vs. Apple Silicon For iPhone 6 Plus

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have only used the Otterbox Defender and Commuter series before and am prepping to switch to something thinner because of the iPhone 6 Plus size.

Anyone have experience with these on other phones and can offer any insight? I like a lot of protection but many have recommended Symmetry if I want to stick with Otterbox (which I kind of do).

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Depends what kind of protection you are looking for- I have the leather for my 5s and while its a nice case IMO its more to prevent scratches and not sure how it would fare with a big fall

InTheRed

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Hey buddy!

I browsed the web last night looking for cases and wound up with the Spigen myself!

When I got my 4s I got the commuter right off the bat. I did not like the case as it was too bulky and I also had to remove part of it to open the access door to the charging point. The case wound up breaking because I kept having to take the plastic frame off.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey buddy!

I browsed the web last night looking for cases and wound up with the Spigen myself!

When I got my 4s I got the commuter right off the bat. I did not like the case as it was too bulky and I also had to remove part of it to open the access door to the charging point. The case wound up breaking because I kept having to take the plastic frame off.

Hey your back in the forums. Which one did you get? I have the tough armor and the ultra hybrid for my 5s

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the Symmetry and love it. For my iPhone 5S that is. I will definitely be getting one for my 6Plus when it comes out.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The Apple leather case is the best case I have ever used. I used to switch cases often, but I haven't taken my apple case off my 5S since it went on in January. The feel in the hand is amazing.

That said, while the red is above and beyond my favorite color, it got dirty easily. The porous leather traps oils, dirts, etc. Some like the 'worn' look. I found it to look dirty. So, I went with black. There are many examples of this in the 5S and Accessories threads. Just do a quick search if you're curious.

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
If you get the Apple leather case and have a dirty or outdoor job the is exposed to anything other than office weather DO NOT get a bright colored one. I got the red leather case for my iphone 5s. Looked and felt great for about two months. But because of my job at the time the case took a beating. It it now almost completely stained black. Looks disgusting. If you want I can post a picture. It did work great at keeping my phone safe from scratches and adds so little bulk that if you were to get a black one I'd recommend it. Just stay clear of the brightly colored ones.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed the new leather cases are open at the bottom. Not sure why they went that way

My guess is they they were getting a lot of returns due to that area. Purely a guess. But all three I owned snapped along the very thin bar along where the charger plugs in.

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I almost got the otterbox but I thought it was going to be so bulky for my iphone plus. The plus is big as it is and with an otterbox I think it would look like a brick. I went to the life proof website but they didn't have any at the moment. I almost bought the silicone case when I pre ordered the iphone plus but I saw that uncovered bottom and it was a downfall for me. I don't want any scratches on my baeeeee! I also got the screen protector from zagg. A new one they came out with.

I got this cover cuz I realized it was elegant and thin. I hope it feels good tho.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 86

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I ordered this. Really wanted a bumper for a phone so large. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410738038.931677.jpg

I'm still debating on an otterbox. Definitely a commuter. My sister has one for her note 2 and it really didn't make much of a difference.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm a huge fan of the Otterbox Symmetry line. Got one shortly after they came out and it quickly became one of my favorite cases (I also really liked the Commuter series too, especially the port covers). I've always purchased a ton of cases for my iPhones but am going to break the habit this time around. I'm going to pick up 1 or 2 "everyday" cases plus a Mophie and that's it. I was considering one of the Apple leather cases in either black or brown but I think the entirely open bottom is a deal breaker for me.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Think I will be getting the otterbox symmetry case. Felt the defender case would be to bulking. I must say the spigen cases look pretty good.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the Symmetry and love it. For my iPhone 5S that is. I will definitely be getting one for my 6Plus when it comes out.
Otter doesn't have the 6 Plus cases in yet. They have the 6. I'll post it as soon as I get the notification. I'd like to try the Symmetry as well. I've never had a case without a built in screen protector. I hope the folks at the Verizon store can put a good protector on. I'd mess it up for sure.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73