Shortage bigger than predicted?

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Seems like a lot of people who had the 9/19 when they ordered, are now getting notification for an OCTOBER SHIPPING. Could it be that the system was not keeping up with all orders and many of us will NOT get our phones 9/19 ??

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Did you order from a carrier or Apple? I'm hearing more and more that only Apple tracking is accurate.

one each.
Apple order still says on time for 9/19, this order was placed 7 am yesterday
ATT order that was placed 3am and said 9/19 at time of order, now says 10/13-10/31

In the past when I ordered from ATT , it never gave shipping date past release date, so something is going on.

KennyMcCormack

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
one each.
Apple order still says on time for 9/19, this order was placed 7 am yesterday
ATT order that was placed 3am and said 9/19 at time of order, now says 10/13-10/31

In the past when I ordered from ATT , it never gave shipping date past release date, so something is going on.

I agree. I'm keeping an eye on the AT&T community forums. Obviously, nothing official being posted. But, it does help to understand that something is off.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Seems like a lot of people who had the 9/19 when they ordered, are now getting notification for an OCTOBER SHIPPING. Could it be that the system was not keeping up with all orders and many of us will NOT get our phones 9/19 ??

I think they do not keep a large stock for preorders, because by getting people in store it has more chance for buying accessories along with it. Now i am sure they won't have many in store, but I feel that now that apple sees the demand for the larger 6+, they will put more production focus on the larger model to meet demand quicker.

Not to mention the carrier tracking is awful. Often times it does not get updated and then all the sudden the device shows up at your door. I wouldn't put too much stock in what the carrier tracking says, most of the times its wrong.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Did you order from a carrier or Apple? I'm hearing more and more that only Apple tracking is accurate.

I've been told this before by Apple reps which is why I try and only go through Apple. Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc never really know what kind of stock they are going to get. As in the case with my local BB, about 100 people lined up and before opening UPS delivered their shipment on that day. The store manager came out and said that not everyone was going to get their preorders because they only had X amount of iPhones in certain colors and storage capacities.

The crowd got really pissed and police had to come to calm the situation. lol.

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Don't shoot the message but I read in a couple of the other pre-order forms that people had called ATT about their 6 Plus order and were told ATT did not get any iPhone 6Plus' and they would be delayed through ATT. I would file this completely in the RUMOR section though.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been told this before by Apple reps which is why I try and only go through Apple. Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc never really know what kind of stock they are going to get. As in the case with my local BB, about 100 people lined up and before opening UPS delivered their shipment on that day. The store manager came out and said that not everyone was going to get their preorders because they only had X amount of iPhones in certain colors and storage capacities.

The crowd got really pissed and police had to come to calm the situation. lol.
That's what Sprint told me. That they never know how many they will get until the shipment arrives.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I was lucky enough to finally get a order on my iPad on launch night, it said delivery on the 09/19 after I completed the purchase I received a email from apple saying delivery on Oct 1st - 6th ... I was so bummed! So I went to at&t and ordered a iPhone 6 with 64 gigs to hold me over until the 6 plus comes. In the past some have reported that carrier pre ordered phones have delivered a day earlier.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I was lucky enough to finally get a order on my iPad on launch night, it said delivery on the 09/19 after I completed the purchase I received a email from apple saying delivery on Oct 1st - 6th ... I was so bummed! So I went to at&t and ordered a iPhone 6 with 64 gigs to hold me over until the 6 plus comes. In the past some have reported that carrier pre ordered phones have delivered a day earlier.

I’ve purchased every new device through the Apple Store app on my iPad since the iPhone 4S. Never a problem getting the order done, and delivery has always been done on 'launch day'.

The only exception to this was the iPhone 5S, for which Apple did not do pre-orders. I purchased that one online from Best Buy just after midnight on launch day and picked it up that same day after the store opened.

Unlike the carrier stores and big box stores, there’s never a question of how much stock Apple will get.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
In the past some have reported that carrier pre ordered phones have delivered a day earlier.

While I've never heard this before, I went into the store to pre order and the rep told me I could very well have it on the 18th. He said 22nd at the latest. I thought he was just talking but I'm beginning to believe him now.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
While I've never heard this before, I went into the store to pre order and the rep told me I could very well have it on the 18th. He said 22nd at the latest. I thought he was just talking but I'm beginning to believe him now.

iPhone 4 arrived 1-2 days early for a lot of people. Myself included.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
In the past some have reported that carrier pre ordered phones have delivered a day earlier.

That happened with the launch of the iPhone 4. I remember because for that one, I opted to do the pre-order and pick up at the Apple store. The couriers were delivering the phones as much as 3 days early that year. I think that was when Apple cracked down on both UPS and FedEx, and demanded that future shipments be flagged "hold for delivery date". I am not aware of any subsequent occurrence.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
That's what Sprint told me. That they never know how many they will get until the shipment arrives.

The same thing happened with the Xbox One launch. I waited in line (#2 so I got one). 20 min before they opened UPS dropped off 3 boxes of them. Manager came out and said they only received 25 units. Same deal. People flipped out.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Carriers wanting your money regardless of inventory expectation. Typical.

Someone asked a few weeks ago why so many were saying avoid the carriers...THIS (amongst other things) is why.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I expected a shortage of the Plus. I think I read where that might happen. Oh, well! As long as I can get mine in January, I'll be fine.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
AT&T dropped the ball on this one.
They allowed a lot more orders to be placed than they can handle.
Part of doing business of course , but with half of pre-orders that initially were promised as 9/19 now switching to back order , there will be a lot of upset consumers.