Any Note refugees? Will you miss the stylus?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I never understood the stylus thing. Why mess with a stick that you must keep track of, only to do what your finger can already do? The only reason would be for some sort of precision work, but even then, the tips of these capacitive stylii are huge - usually about the size of, say, a finger. :rolleyes:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I will stick my neck out on this one. I had the Note 2 and Note 3. I got rid of the Note 2 due to the lack of internal storage otherwise I liked it. The Note 3 for me was a solid device but at times I felt it was just too big and ended up getting the iP5S.

Now that the 6 Plus is out and the Note 4 is coming out "soon" I am at the crossroads and I was fully prepared to go back to the Note 4 with my 128GB microSDXC card. I actually took the time to watch the keynote (rather choppy playback though) since I didn't get to on the launch day. I typically got the Note series for the bigger screen since no one else offered it, the stylus is nice but I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. I have a Note 10.1 2014 Edition on Verizon so technically I have a Note & Stylus to use if I really need to.

I am leaning towards the 6 Plus but I didn't pre-order and won't either I need to see it in person to make that call. I am somewhat optimistic that I can go to the carrier store when they open and hopefully get one, I would go Silver or Space Grey, but if Gold is the only option I would take it since it will be in a case anyways so long as 128GB is available and I suspect it may not.

So to answer the original question will I miss it, I am just not sure. There are lots of note apps for iOS and I could always find a good stylus. I looked at the one you mentioned, they seem a bit big for my use but I will check them out.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate that a stylus is not needed on modern devices. I remember the old PalmOS and Windows Mobile devices where you had to use a stylus, and it was cumbersome at best. That said, I do see some use in using a stylus for "fine" work like sketching, handwritten notes, etc. With the larger screen of the Plus, a stylus could potentially have some use, albeit not in everyday usage (at least how I am likely to use it). I rarely use a stylus on my iPad, except for the odd diagram and handwritten note, and I think that's a better scenario than even the Plus. The newer stylii (Jot Script, etc.) that use an electrical field and/or bluetooth with a finer nib are interesting, and I hope to be able to test them someday, but for now, I don't have much need for a stylus. All said, I won't discount the use of stylii completely, but I'm glad the iOS interface is designed to not require them.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Owned a Note 2. Great phone, never used the stylus so I won't miss it. Currently on a GS5 which I adore EXCEPT for touch wiz (horrible). I'm seriously considering going back to iPhone for ecosystem integration (mac, mac book air and ipad). And ApplePay (why not iPay?). We'll see how it shakes out.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Owned a Note 2. Great phone, never used the stylus so I won't miss it. Currently on a GS5 which I adore EXCEPT for touch wiz (horrible). I'm seriously considering going back to iPhone for ecosystem integration (mac, mac book air and ipad). And ApplePay (why not iPay?). We'll see how it shakes out.

The ecosystem integration is getting better each major iOS/OS X release - its almost scary - in a cool way, how good the integration and experience is.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I did like using the stylus for the features it brought I.e drawing out screen shots and using the quick tap features by pressing the little button on the stylus but in the end of the day it's not enough to sway me to the note4 and away from the 6+.

Carlton English

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I had a note 3 that I sold so that I can get an iPhone 5s, but one thing I personally loved was the S-Pen. So I purchased a note 10.1 now I still can use the S-Pen without having to give up my love for iphones'. Once I get my iPhone 6 plus I will be set. In my opinion best of both worlds.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
The ecosystem integration is getting better each major iOS/OS X release - its almost scary - in a cool way, how good the integration and experience is.

One thing I even love to this day is using iMessage to stay in touch with wife (iPhone 5). It sucks during work though because I have to use BootCamp and run Winblowz(R) for my job. Most VPN environments in hospitals require IE and my current client is no exception.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I really liked using the spen with my Note 3. Sometimes I wonder why I chose to sell it in favor for the 5S. It was that good of a device. And basically the Note 3 from last year does everything the iPhone 6 plus does and more.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
After the first few gimmicky times using it in the device 'honeymoon' period, I forgot about the stylus on my Note 3 completely. I certainly will not miss it at all.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I just found my Bamboo stylus I had bought a long time ago fro an iPad its small easy on the pocket and requires no battery. Perfect for what I need to do at the start.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Ordered the 6 Plus that's coming tomorrow, but got the note 4 on launch day. Now I have to decide which to keep.

Written by the mighty S-pen of my Samsung Galaxy Note 4!

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Ordered the 6 Plus that's coming tomorrow, but got the note 4 on launch day. Now I have to decide which to keep.

Lol. I wish I could do the same. I want that note so bad ugh. I just want to have both.

The note 4 blows away the iPhone plus that's even scary. But then I'll miss my iPhone and the ecosystem with all my idevices won't be the same with the note.

Ugh!

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Lol. I wish I could do the same. I want that note so bad ugh. I just want to have both.

The note 4 blows away the iPhone plus that's even scary. But then I'll miss my iPhone and the ecosystem with all my idevices won't be the same with the note.

Ugh!
I will let you know how the comparison goes.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Never used it much.
Was good for doodling, that's about it!
The Note 4 will only reach its potential with a proper ROM.
Unfortunately the big carriers (ATT, VZW) now lock their bootloaders which make it difficult to flash custom recoveries/roms, etc.
Bootstrap for those who know what it is, can be a PIA.

And for this very reason is why I much prefer iOS devices on accounts where I need to get work done!
I may not play games, watch dumb TV shows, or do social networking, but countless hours I've spent playing with Android devices, themes, hacking, you name it; probably more than makes up for it!

Stefano_B

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the Note 3 for a while, and really liked it at first. Pulled the S-pen out a few times just because it was there. The phone was actually nice and solid. For a minute I considered the Note 4... But the thought of TouchWiz makes me cringe..personally, I think it's the uglies UI out right now. Yeah sure, you can instal third party launchers all you want, but TW is still there..ruining the experience. However, the Note 4's build this time around is very nice, along with a nice camera.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234