Anybody NOT pre-ordering?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I have never pre-ordered an iPhone or any phone before. This is because I've found that during launch weekend and pre-order week and continuing thru mid October, the phones are in low supply at stores and online.

I'll wait until early to mid November, or even as late as March. By these times, I expect my local Apple Stores to have enough of a supply in stock for me to buy the 6 Plus 128 GB Space Grey VZW.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't, and have never pre-ordered an iphone in the past. I just wasn't sure the hype was worth it and was on the fence about it. Since I am on vacation next Friday I was thinking I would hit the local Verizon store at opening time and see if they have any in stock. What's the worse that happens I have to order one and wait. I use Verizon Edge and was looking at moving to AT&T for Next since I like to upgrade (often) so it comes down to which carrier at the opening bell.

As to your thoughts on enough stock at the local apple store, it really depends on how many people are in line before you, but I did read they were doing something different with the Que this time around so hopefully it will be better.

Bro-row

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I need to see them in person to make the choice. I know I want the 6 plus but am nervous that it will be cumbersome in my pocket while lifting weights and at work. Don't get it twisted, I am dying to pre-order and always have in the past. However, this time there is a choice.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I did but my wife won't she's just gonna wait she wants to see and hold both before deciding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I didn't, and have never pre-ordered an iphone in the past. I just wasn't sure the hype was worth it and was on the fence about it. Since I am on vacation next Friday I was thinking I would hit the local Verizon store at opening time and see if they have any in stock. What's the worse that happens I have to order one and wait. I use Verizon Edge and was looking at moving to AT&T for Next since I like to upgrade (often) so it comes down to which carrier at the opening bell.

As to your thoughts on enough stock at the local apple store, it really depends on how many people are in line before you, but I did read they were doing something different with the Que this time around so hopefully it will be better.

What are they doing different with the queue? Separating into Pre-Ordered vs. Non Pre-Ordered or something? I hope not, I didn't preorder and was planning on being first in line.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not pre ordering either, but am definitely getting a Plus.

iOS 8 will be plenty to wet my appetite until mid November or December and I'll pick up the new phone before the end of the year without hassle.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
They attending some sort of electronic ticketing rather than paper because it should work better for tracking inventory. In past years about an hour before store opening they went down the line with a box of cards and each card represented 1 phone in inventory (cards specified carrier, color, and capacity). If they didn't have the card, you were out of luck. This year it will be similar but instead of a physical card, it should be an email or text with your reservation. Then rather than having to stay in line until you got the phone, you should be able to leave the line and come back later with your text or email reservation and pick it up. This supposedly worked with the physical cards as well but I've seen random reports that some people would come back later with their card and Apple wouldn't have the inventory because something got mixed up. That should hopefully be fixed by having an electronic card tied directly to their inventory system.
This has nothing to do with the pre-order vs non-pre-order stock. The stores will have separate lines for each but the inventory they are coming out of is separate.

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

Also, if I did end up being first, would I still be first into the store, or would the pre-ordered people get pulled out separately and get theirs first?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I need to see them in person to make the choice. I know I want the 6 plus but am nervous that it will be cumbersome in my pocket while lifting weights and at work. Don't get it twisted, I am dying to pre-order and always have in the past. However, this time there is a choice.

Having had a Note 3, which is very close in size to the 6+ it will really depend on the case you use and that is why having multiple cases based on the occasion and need is helpful. You may want a thin and light case for weightlifting and a stronger thicker case for work (depending on your job) so the size won't be an issue UNLESS you wear Skinny Jeans (guys you know who you are).

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Having had a Note 3, which is very close in size to the 6+ it will really depend on the case you use and that is why having multiple cases based on the occasion and need is helpful. You may want a thin and light case for weightlifting and a stronger thicker case for work (depending on your job) so the size won't be an issue UNLESS you wear Skinny Jeans (guys you know who you are).

I actually got AppleCare for the first time. I've never pre ordered before, and since I went with the Plus I decided to go with AppleCare. That way if I go caseless to keep bulk down and something happens it's no big deal.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I have never pre-ordered an iPhone or any phone before. This is because I've found that during launch weekend and pre-order week and continuing thru mid October, the phones are in low supply at stores and online.

I'll wait until early to mid November, or even as late as March. By these times, I expect my local Apple Stores to have enough of a supply in stock for me to buy the 6 Plus 128 GB Space Grey VZW.

I won't be. I tried on pre-order launch day and it was a mess for me (as it was for many). I couldnt get in so I gave up. I am attempting to get the day off and will line up with hopes of grabbing one!

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
In past years, in-store pickup starts *after* launch day. Pre-orders get shipped to individuals rather than stores. Online purchase w/in-store pickup (w/Apple) starts later - within a few days to weeks. There should not be any pre-order line on launch day.

eh-up

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm not / haven't.

I started out not wanting a bigger phone but had decided I could live with the 4.7 as it wasn't that much bigger. Then they showed the better camera and the landscape views. This left me completely undecided.

I've since downloaded the template and I think the 6+ is going to be fine for me. I rarely make calls without my earphones in so wouldn't have to suffer the 'huge phone stuck to my head' problem.

Long story short, I'll wait until I can try them both out and see if the plus will be OK for me. Of course, I'll then have to endure months of ridicule from all my friends that have heard me argue that there is nowt wrong with the 4 inch phone :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm did not and will not pre-order. In a couple of weeks, I'll walk in a store, be it an Apple Store, Verizon Wireless or a Walmart, to name a few, and just buy it. I'll find one somewhere. I always do...:)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Not me! Gotta wait for my Verizon upgrade in January. And, no, I don't want to do EDGE. But hey, I'll get iOS 8 and I can read your reviews for 4 months. Y'all just leave me a Space Gray 64 gb iP 6 Plus. :D

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Are you jumping off the Note 4 bandwagon for this one? I'm really thinking about it, too. They did just enough with this for me to want to leave Android, probably for good.

Mizzlia

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I had to pre order because t-mobile talking about they only getting the 16 and being that I was opening an account I wasn't about to dish out 800 to Apple for an unlock so yeah should of just gotten it on at&t

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you jumping off the Note 4 bandwagon for this one? I'm really thinking about it, too. They did just enough with this for me to want to leave Android, probably for good.

I surprised myself on this with a change of heart overnight. I was set to the Note 4, but as I watched the keynote and realized there were benefits and what I could gain from it plus the resale value is higher and well I just bought a new MBP w/ SuperDrive & an Airport Extreme so I am in the process of migrating all of my data so I can move back to the MAC.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods