What is September 19th going to be like?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to be scooping up a 6+ next Friday (couldn't justify getting up at 3 am to pre-order). Should I be expecting massive sell outs immediately or will I be able to walk into a Best Buy/Verizon first thing in the morning and pick up a device? Just trying to keep my expectations in check (meanwhile, it's just a phone) since this is the fist time I'm going after a new Apple device on its release date.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be scooping up a 6+ next Friday (could justify getting up at 3 am to pre-order). Should I be expecting massive sell outs immediately or will I be able to walk into a Best Buy/Verizon first thing in the morning and pick up a device? Just trying to keep my expectations in check (meanwhile, it's just a phone) since this is the fist time I'm going after a new Apple device on its release date.

Thanks all!

It’s hard to say. Somehow, it ends up being crazy every year, but at the same time, it’s different every year. For example, last year, BestBuy was selling phone on launch day eve for in-store pick up the next day. Of course, there was no pre-order last year for the 5S. So all of the pieces change from year to year, based in situations, circumstances, and, in some cases, demand. Every year the demand seems to increase.

The Apple Store will have the largest stockpile, and will have all the models and versions for all of the carriers. They will also have the largest crowds. There are always stories of someone walking in to Walmart or Radio Shack at 4 in the afternoon and scoring the most elusive model of all, while the rest of the world clamors for leftovers.

About all the advice I can offer is to just get there early, have fun, roll with the punches and hopefully win the prize.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
It’s hard to say. Somehow, it ends up being crazy every year, but at the same time, it’s different every year. For example, last year, BestBuy was selling phone on launch day eve for in-store pick up the next day. Of course, there was no pre-order last year for the 5S. So all of the pieces change from year to year, based in situations, circumstances, and, in some cases, demand. Every year the demand seems to increase.

The Apple Store will have the largest stockpile, and will have all the models and versions for all of the carriers. They will also have the largest crowds. There are always stories of someone walking in to Walmart or Radio Shack at 4 in the afternoon and scoring the most elusive model of all, while the rest of the world clamors for leftovers.

About all the advice I can offer is to just get there early, have fun, roll with the punches and hopefully win the prize.

Thanks, Hank - appreciate the insight. I'm going to try Best Buy/Verizon whenever they open and see how I fair. I was contemplating taking a day off of work for the iPhone release (had some days left to burn so I figured why not). I have a trip planned for next weekend (leaving on Friday), so I'm going to try and get my new phone before I leave. I really like my 5S so I'd be ok with waiting for awhile if that's what it came down to (not ideal but if waiting for a phone is my biggest problem, I'm doing just fine).

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to be scooping up a 6+ next Friday (could justify getting up at 3 am to pre-order). Should I be expecting massive sell outs immediately or will I be able to walk into a Best Buy/Verizon first thing in the morning and pick up a device? Just trying to keep my expectations in check (meanwhile, it's just a phone) since this is the fist time I'm going after a new Apple device on its release date.

Thanks all!

I know in the past, stores I went to had very little fanfare when it came to iPhone launches. I do not live in the middle of nowhere, and it seems like the stock is limited, but if you check enough places you can get a hold of one. Hopefully it is the same thing this year.

Justin Beatty

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
My fear would be, just like with the pre-orders, the initial expectations for demand on the 6+ were severely short of reality. I suspect the 6 will be easy to come by on the 19th, but if you have your heart set on the 6+ my advice would be to get there early. Get a thermos, fill it full of your favorite coffee, and bring your old iPhone for some last-minute surfing for nostalgia's sake.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing the same as the others. 6 shouldn't be too difficult to come by, but the 6+ should be. It seems to have the smaller stock of the 2 models. I would get there 12 hrs early if possible if you are really set on the 6+ :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My Friday is going to be a nice quiet one...maybe some eggs and bacon and a nice tall glass of OJ. Settle in and watch some NFL channel to get some info about week 3 of fantasy football, and then maybe some Destiny on Xbox One. Hopefully my iPhone 6+ comes by lunch time, but if it doesn't, I might make a sandwich...watch a little TV and then when the doorbell rings, I'll take a stroll to the door, take that nice box from the UPS guys hand and then ask him "Did you get an iPhone 6+ today too?" He'll probably say no...and I'll laugh at him like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
My Friday is going to be a nice quiet one...maybe some eggs and bacon and a nice tall glass of OJ. Settle in and watch some NFL channel to get some info about week 3 of fantasy football, and then maybe some Destiny on Xbox One. Hopefully my iPhone 6+ comes by lunch time, but if it doesn't, I might make a sandwich...watch a little TV and then when the doorbell rings, I'll take a stroll to the door, take that nice box from the UPS guys hand and then ask him "Did you get an iPhone 6+ today too?" He'll probably say no...and I'll laugh at him like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

You always paint quite the lovely picture!

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
This year, I have a feeling that getting your hands on a 6+ will be like getting your hands on a Gold 5s last year at launch

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

Thanks all!

I would expect crazy long lines. Just as last year (Portland), I showed up in the morning (around 8 am) and there was almost 400 people in line. When chatting with a line control guard, he said that more than half of those people showed up between 5-6. I am going to arrive around 5 am this year, if it looks promising I will stick around, if not then I will try T-Mobile. And if both fail then I will patiently wait and not LOSE it.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I would expect crazy long lines. Just as last year (Portland), I showed up in the morning (around 8 am) and there was almost 400 people in line. When chatting with a line control guard, he said that more than half of those people showed up between 5-6. I am going to arrive around 5 am this year, if it looks promising I will stick around, if not then I will try T-Mobile. And if both fail then I will patiently wait and not LOSE it.

Holy ****!!! Was this at an Apple Store?!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

Thanks all!

Like this:

giphy.gif

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Apple stores will be an absolute frenzy, but carrier stores shouldn't be as bad. Last year I was second in line (I arrived at 5:25am) and everybody except the last two people in line got an iPhone. This year I'm going at 4:30am just to make sure I'm first and can get my two iPhone 6 Pluses.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Apple stores will be an absolute frenzy, but carrier stores shouldn't be as bad. Last year I was second in line (I arrived at 5:25am) and everybody except the last two people in line got an iPhone. This year I'm going at 4:30am just to make sure I'm first and can get my two iPhone 6 Pluses.

Lucky, I have to get to my local store at 6-7 PM the night before if I want to be first. I'm getting there at 6 PM on Thursday to hopefully be first, I've always wanted to be first :)

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
My hope is that the lines are tempered a bit due to the preorder availability this year vs no option for the 5S last year. I suspect the big demand will be for the 6+ due to poor shipping times and sadly that'll be the least stocked phone at the stores.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Lucky, I have to get to my local store at 6-7 PM the night before if I want to be first. I'm getting there at 6 PM on Thursday to hopefully be first, I've always wanted to be first :)

Damn, I don't think I could camp out overnight. Usually I don't like living in a small town, but it's definitely beneficial in this situation.

My hope is that the lines are tempered a bit due to the preorder availability this year vs no option for the 5S last year. I suspect the big demand will be for the 6+ due to poor shipping times and sadly that'll be the least stocked phone at the stores.

I was hoping the same thing, but I figure the increased demand for the 6 and 6 Plus will probably tip the scale back their way and it'll end up being about the same as last year.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice