May I ask what is the difference between Apple Care and the insurance from Verizon Wireless? Which one is better?
    09-12-2014 04:54 PM
    Apple care is best in my opinion. Fast device and cheaper than VZW. VZW is third party not actually from them. You pay a monthly fee and than an outrageous fee if you damage your phone.

Apple care is $99 and them $79 per claim.
    Spencerdl and donemt like this.
    09-12-2014 05:05 PM
    Thanks for the reply. $99 for how long? Is it an annual due? Right now, Verizon Wireless is charging $10 a month for the insurance of the phone.
    09-12-2014 05:09 PM
    Apple care is best in my opinion. Fast device and cheaper than VZW. VZW is third party not actually from them. You pay a monthly fee and than an outrageous fee if you damage your phone.

$79 to get phone replaced - no matter the model?
    09-12-2014 05:17 PM
    Yup.
    09-12-2014 05:35 PM
    You can use it twice in two years.
    donemt likes this.
    09-12-2014 05:35 PM

Exactly this^^. Apple care gets my vote also. Thats what I have as well.
    LadiJae likes this.
    09-12-2014 05:37 PM
    Thanks for the reply. $99 for how long? Is it an annual due? Right now, Verizon Wireless is charging $10 a month for the insurance of the phone.
    Pay $99 once and it's good for two years. It lengthens the warranty, provides phone support for the full two years and gives you up to two damage replacements at $79/each.
    One thing to consider is if the Verizon insurance covers theft/loss which AppleCare+ does not.
    substring likes this.
    09-12-2014 05:45 PM
    Yes but usually carrier's insurance offer other services like deductibles if your phone gets lost. Apple offers no such thing and you're expected to purchase the phone in full again.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    09-12-2014 07:50 PM
    AppleCare+ gives you two replacements in 2 years for $50 each and apple support. Carrier insurance has a much higher deductible, like $150+ and you are covered against theft, loss, damage etc while AppleCare+ doesn't cover loss or theft but your renters insurance would (if you rent).
    09-12-2014 10:19 PM
    AppleCare+ gives you two replacements in 2 years for $50 each and apple support. Carrier insurance has a much higher deductible, like $150+ and you are covered against theft, loss, damage etc while AppleCare+ doesn't cover loss or theft but your renters insurance would (if you rent).
    AppleCare raised the deductible to $79 last year.
    09-13-2014 01:03 PM
    Sorry, I did not know that. I have actually never had to use my AppleCare+ on any iOS device I have owned so never knew.
    09-13-2014 06:27 PM
    AppleCare Plus is the ONLY way to go !
    09-13-2014 07:28 PM
    I just went to the local Apple Store and confirmed that Apple Care+ does not cover stolen or lost phone. So the carrier insurance has a leg up on this one. However, if I am not mistaken, the iOS 8 is supposed to discourage people from stealing iPhone because the stolen phone will not function. If it is correct, then Apple Care+ is more attractive. Am I right about this new iOS 8 feature? Can anyone confirm that?

The Apple Store staff told me I have up to 60 days after activation to sign up for Apple Care+. So it is not a big rush.
    09-13-2014 07:56 PM
    The thing that makes me prefer AppleCare over carrier based insurance is that I can usually walk into an Apple store with a broken device (or any defect) and walk out with a replacement (may have to make a Genius appointment). With carrier sponsored insurance, you often have to send it in, wait for it to be examined, and then maybe get a replacement. Apple is just less of a hassle for me (I also live in a city with an Apple Store, so that helps). The only downside is the lack of theft/loss coverage.
    09-13-2014 08:08 PM
    I just went to the local Apple Store and confirmed that Apple Care+ does not cover stolen or lost phone. So the carrier insurance has a leg up on this one. However, if I am not mistaken, the iOS 8 is supposed to discourage people from stealing iPhone because the stolen phone will not function. If it is correct, then Apple Care+ is more attractive. Am I right about this new iOS 8 feature? Can anyone confirm that?

The Apple Store staff told me I have up to 60 days after activation to sign up for Apple Care+. So it is not a big rush.
    The activation lock has been in place since iOS 7 assuming you turn the Find my iPhone service on in settings. It doesn't prevent theft obviously but does make a stolen phone useless to anyone who doesn't know your AppleId and password.
    09-13-2014 08:08 PM
    The activation lock has been in place since iOS 7 assuming you turn the Find my iPhone service on in settings. It doesn't prevent theft obviously but does make a stolen phone useless to anyone who doesn't know your AppleId and password.
    And judging by the amount of questions we field from people trying to bypass the lock - theft is still pretty rampant.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    09-13-2014 08:16 PM
    And judging by the amount of questions we field from people trying to bypass the lock - theft is still pretty rampant.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    So is ignorance.
    09-14-2014 09:41 AM
    Square trade is all I have ever used on my apple devices. They always offer coupons, more flexibility and options of where to obtain repairs, super quick turn around and responses and end of the day, cheaper in the long run. All that being said I've only had to replace one device over the years but still worth it for peace of mind.
    Bmichael78 likes this.
    09-14-2014 10:28 AM
    ^^^ditto

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-14-2014 12:32 PM
    Square trade is all I have ever used on my apple devices. They always offer coupons, more flexibility and options of where to obtain repairs, super quick turn around and responses and end of the day, cheaper in the long run. All that being said I've only had to replace one device over the years but still worth it for peace of mind.
    I have heard of square trade.....is the turn around quick?
    09-14-2014 01:26 PM
    I have heard of square trade.....is the turn around quick?
    I have been using square trade for at least 4 years. I have covered cameras, MacBooks,
    iPhones, iPads, printers. Square trade will even let you cover items bought on eBay!

But back to your question, Yeah! Turn around is quick bc they give u so many options. You can fill out their form online and send it to them, pick a local store/repair shop (including an apple store) or like what happened in my only experience 5.5 weeks ago, run to an apple store bc phone broke and my wife was having our first baby, paid full price for the replacement and then filed claim with square trade 3 days later. I received my money back minus the $50 deductible the next business day.

If you sign up for their emails you get coupons multiple times a week.

If you ever sell a device before warranty ends just login and cancel and you'll get a refund for remaining coverage.
    09-14-2014 01:40 PM
    I am interested in square trade this time around, but was wondering how many occurrences you can have, also does square trade cover warranty items like if the power button stops functioning for the 2 years?
    09-14-2014 01:46 PM
    I need to look into that
    09-14-2014 01:57 PM
    Definitely, AppleCare!

Verizon charges $10/mnth, EVERY MONTH, then charges ~$150 if you need a replacement... The one time I did use it they sent a scratched (clearly used) device!

Since that one time I've always used AppleCare with a one-time cost of $99, and a $79 deductible--and 2 incidents.

Just do the math. Not to mention how much nicer Apple is to deal with, than Big Red!

Although, Square Trade might be a good alternative, too... Just avoid Verizon--at all cost !
    substring likes this.
    09-14-2014 03:23 PM
34 12