Apple Care vs Insurance from Verizon Wireless

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple care is best in my opinion. Fast device and cheaper than VZW. VZW is third party not actually from them. You pay a monthly fee and than an outrageous fee if you damage your phone.

Apple care is $99 and them $79 per claim.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. $99 for how long? Is it an annual due? Right now, Verizon Wireless is charging $10 a month for the insurance of the phone.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Apple care is best in my opinion. Fast device and cheaper than VZW. VZW is third party not actually from them. You pay a monthly fee and than an outrageous fee if you damage your phone.

$79 to get phone replaced - no matter the model?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Exactly this^^. Apple care gets my vote also. Thats what I have as well.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes but usually carrier's insurance offer other services like deductibles if your phone gets lost. Apple offers no such thing and you're expected to purchase the phone in full again.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
AppleCare+ gives you two replacements in 2 years for $50 each and apple support. Carrier insurance has a much higher deductible, like $150+ and you are covered against theft, loss, damage etc while AppleCare+ doesn't cover loss or theft but your renters insurance would (if you rent).

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I did not know that. I have actually never had to use my AppleCare+ on any iOS device I have owned so never knew.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I just went to the local Apple Store and confirmed that Apple Care+ does not cover stolen or lost phone. So the carrier insurance has a leg up on this one. However, if I am not mistaken, the iOS 8 is supposed to discourage people from stealing iPhone because the stolen phone will not function. If it is correct, then Apple Care+ is more attractive. Am I right about this new iOS 8 feature? Can anyone confirm that?

The Apple Store staff told me I have up to 60 days after activation to sign up for Apple Care+. So it is not a big rush.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
The thing that makes me prefer AppleCare over carrier based insurance is that I can usually walk into an Apple store with a broken device (or any defect) and walk out with a replacement (may have to make a Genius appointment). With carrier sponsored insurance, you often have to send it in, wait for it to be examined, and then maybe get a replacement. Apple is just less of a hassle for me (I also live in a city with an Apple Store, so that helps). The only downside is the lack of theft/loss coverage.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The activation lock has been in place since iOS 7 assuming you turn the Find my iPhone service on in settings. It doesn't prevent theft obviously but does make a stolen phone useless to anyone who doesn't know your AppleId and password.

And judging by the amount of questions we field from people trying to bypass the lock - theft is still pretty rampant.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

btru82

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Square trade is all I have ever used on my apple devices. They always offer coupons, more flexibility and options of where to obtain repairs, super quick turn around and responses and end of the day, cheaper in the long run. All that being said I've only had to replace one device over the years but still worth it for peace of mind.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Square trade is all I have ever used on my apple devices. They always offer coupons, more flexibility and options of where to obtain repairs, super quick turn around and responses and end of the day, cheaper in the long run. All that being said I've only had to replace one device over the years but still worth it for peace of mind.
I have heard of square trade.....is the turn around quick?

btru82

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I have heard of square trade.....is the turn around quick?

I have been using square trade for at least 4 years. I have covered cameras, MacBooks,
iPhones, iPads, printers. Square trade will even let you cover items bought on eBay!

But back to your question, Yeah! Turn around is quick bc they give u so many options. You can fill out their form online and send it to them, pick a local store/repair shop (including an apple store) or like what happened in my only experience 5.5 weeks ago, run to an apple store bc phone broke and my wife was having our first baby, paid full price for the replacement and then filed claim with square trade 3 days later. I received my money back minus the $50 deductible the next business day.

If you sign up for their emails you get coupons multiple times a week.

If you ever sell a device before warranty ends just login and cancel and you'll get a refund for remaining coverage.

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I am interested in square trade this time around, but was wondering how many occurrences you can have, also does square trade cover warranty items like if the power button stops functioning for the 2 years?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro