Touch ID for payments only

gravage

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I had an iPhone 5s, which I sold a while back and now have a 6 Plus on the way. On the 5s, I seem to remember Touch ID as an "all or nothing" thing. Once turned on, passcode lock was automatically on. You couldn't just use it for App store verification.

I'm wondering if it will be the same with the new Apple Pay system. I have zero interest in having to unlock my phone (with a passcode or fingerprint) each time I use it. I just want to turn it on and go, but I would like to be able to use the payment option and I'm wondering if this will be possible.

Does anyone know if it's still going to be "all or nothing"? Like, once you set up a fingerprint, it will always be required to unlock the phone?

Before anyone chimes in with "why wouldn't you secure your phone blah blah?" I have never used a passcode lock and never needed to. And I really don't see why you shouldn't be able to use Touch ID without the requirement of using it to unlock your phone as well.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to have fingerprint lock on to use fingerprints in iTunes or the App store, so my guess is Apply Pay will work similarly as the latter two have their own on/off toggle, and I'd guess Apple Pay will also have its own.

gravage

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
You don't have to have fingerprint lock on to use fingerprints in iTunes or the App store, so my guess is Apply Pay will work similarly as the latter two have their own on/off toggle, and I'd guess Apple Pay will also have its own.

Did this change recently? I distinctly remember trying to set it up just to use it for App Store and there was no way not to have it set to unlock my phone as well. That's awesome if they came around and changed it, but knowing Apple, I wouldn't expect it.

gravage

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Wow. Maybe I just missed it the first time around. Thanks, dude! Makes me feel a lot better about my purchase.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The reason why there is a pass code beside the finger print is because your finger print can fail to unlock your device, due to unclear finger print lines, or so many other reasons. At the other side the Touch ID being an electronic thing can come to fail to scan your finger print, when those situations araise, you have an alternative which is to input your pass code to unlock your device. Basically it's mostly because of convenience than because of security that the pass code is setup beside finger print.
As for paying things with apple pay, it should be as easy as you want according to what they showed. You just pull out your phone from your pocket, point the phone head (upper edge) while having your finger on the Touch ID to the cashier apple pay scanner and voila, you are good to go with your purchase. Easy easy and very convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The reason why there is a pass code beside the finger print is because your finger print can fail to unlock your device, due to unclear finger print lines, or so many other reasons. At the other side the Touch ID being an electronic thing can come to fail to scan your finger print, when those situations araise, you have an alternative which is to input your pass code to unlock your device. Basically it's mostly because of convenience than because of security that the pass code is setup beside finger print.
As for paying things with apple pay, it should be as easy as you want according to what they showed. You just pull out your phone from your pocket, point the phone head (upper edge) while having your finger on the Touch ID to the cashier apple pay scanner and voila, you are good to go with your purchase. Easy easy and very convenient.

Did you bother reading the OP's actual question? Or did you just respond randomly?

gravage

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Did you read his question and read my post? Or did you just randomly respond to my post?

You seem to be the one who's confused here because he answered my question exactly and you went off on some rant about something I don't care about. All I wanted to know was if you could use Touch ID for purchases without the requirement of using it to unlock the phone.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
From what I've seen, you couldn't even answer your own door.

What you are wanting to do is to use the Touch ID to apple pay, but the thing is as you enable Touch ID, the lock screen pass code is added immediately so what you are actually wanting is not doable right? We all get that and the guy posting before my first post pointed it out.
Now, I went ahead telling the good of having a pass code beside the Touch ID even if your first use of it is to apple pay, but you will still have the pass code enable on your device.
The good thing is that while apple paying, you will not need to unlock the device but simply place your finger on the Touch ID. Way to say, if you want the Touch ID for apple pay, you will have pass code on your screen, but at least since it's about apple pay, you won't be unlocking the device before doing apple pay.
Now, if still not acceptable for you then fine. That's what I was pointing out.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You seem to be mad or getting mad at my post and seem to be enjoying it.

I'm not mad at all...it's just really odd to see you randomly responding and then arguing that you were answering his question (which you were not). I'm kind of just sitting here doing this...

tumblr_inline_mg4mbsjhfp1ry4qim.gif

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm not mad at all...it's just really odd to see you randomly responding and then arguing that you were answering his question (which you were not). I'm kind of just sitting here doing this...

http://confessionsofabookgeek.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/tumblr_inline_mg4mbsjhfp1ry4qim.gif

Glad you are not mad at a post I posted. Sorry if you didn't pick up my point in that post and sorry for you if you still not getting it. Let's move on.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Maybe I just missed it the first time around. Thanks, dude! Makes me feel a lot better about my purchase.

Yes it was definitely there from the beginning. I use it and think it's great. It's one of the major reasons why I don't need to jailbreak my phone any more. Definitely can't wait to use it for Apple Pay, it's just not in the UK until next year though.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR