Any runners planning to get an iPhone 6 Plus?

mummer43

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I run and I never take my phone with me. I use a Suunto Ambit 2s for running. I was planning on getting the apple watch, but you still need to carry your phone with you in order to use it for running. I would have liked the ability to send and receive texts from the watch while out on a run plus play music wirelessly through earphones

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I know a lot of iPhone owners are worried about carrying around the larger sized iPhones. I use to own the note 3, galaxy s5 and a few other large android phones. Even the note fit into my jeans pocket, mind you it wasn't the most comfortable but it fit. I am also very active and carry my devices around everywhere and had no real issues with the note 3.
With the 6 plus being a little bit smaller than the note 3 and also thinner i bet you don't have any issues.

If you have girl pockets like I do, even the 5S doesn't fit in there. My running tights have pockets that barely fit the 5S. I'd like to try the 6Plus but as active as I am, I am not sure it's feasible. And yes, I have to be reachable during my runs.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
If you have girl pockets like I do, even the 5S doesn't fit in there. My running tights have pockets that barely fit the 5S. I'd like to try the 6Plus but as active as I am, I am not sure it's feasible. And yes, I have to be reachable during my runs.

Maybe try out an arm band strap? I use an arm band strap and control my music with pebble smart watch

raybeem

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I can't recommend this for the 6 plus YET before trying it out but I plan on using my Fuel Belt that stretches hopefully enough to accommodate the larger 6 plus size. You can pick the fuel belt up on Amazon. I run a lot here are a couple of quick suggestions 1. Adidas Boost running shoes! These are the shoes that helped me with all the miles of training leading up to qualifying for the Boston Marathon 2013 & 2014. These are not ordinary shoes the midsoles are made of a crazy material that does not wear out or get hard in cold weather so it protects and cushions the joints and makes longer runs feel shorter! I wear a $79 Wahoo Tickr heart rate strap (this strap has special accelerometers that can measure the smoothness of your stride along with your cadence .$150 Magellan Echo bluetooth watch that Echo's all the data coming from the iPhone like pace of run based on the phones gps along with heart rate data from the heart rate strap, (Even though the Apple watch will blow everything away!) this watch is wonderful, I wear it 24/7 use it all the time and the battery goes for 6 to 11 months! I also can't gush enough about JayBird's Blue Bud X wireless BT headphones. These are hands-down the very best sounding running BT headphones available. And they are guaranteed sweat proof. The fuel belt I mention above to hold the iPhone also has 4 gel loops and 2 connectors to hold a race bib. If I can cram the 6 plus into this belt I'll be set! As a runner I can't imagine putting a 6 plus in a case on my arm! Lol! I won't be able to reply back until the 1st of Oct. Because that's when Apple says I will get my 128gb space gray 6 plus even though I ordered 15 seconds after they finally opened the Apple Store last night:-(

Last edited:

MTapester

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm plan on just tossing it in my front pocket of my shorts, I have a 5KM to do the weekend after I get it so, it's going to be fun testing it out so soon. I thought if it's that bad, all just pick up a used ipod.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I can't recommend this for the 6 plus YET before trying it out but I plan on using my Fuel Belt that stretches hopefully enough to accommodate the larger 6 plus size. You can pick the fuel belt up on Amazon. I run a lot here are a couple of quick suggestions 1. Adidas Boost running shoes! These are the shoes that helped me with all the miles of training leading up to qualifying for the Boston Marathon 2013 & 2014. These are not ordinary shoes the midsoles are made of a crazy material that does not wear out or get hard in cold weather so it protects and cushions the joints and makes longer runs feel shorter! I wear a $79 Wahoo Tickr heart rate strap (this strap has special accelerometers that can measure the smoothness of your stride along with your cadence .$150 Magellan Echo bluetooth watch that Echo's all the data coming from the iPhone like pace of run based on the phones gps along with heart rate data from the heart rate strap, (Even though the Apple watch will blow everything away!) this watch is wonderful, I wear it 24/7 use it all the time and the battery goes for 6 to 11 months! I also can't gush enough about JayBird's Blue Bud X wireless BT headphones. These are hands-down the very best sounding running BT headphones available. And they are guaranteed sweat proof. The fuel belt I mention above to hold the iPhone also has 4 gel loops and 2 connectors to hold a race bib. If I can cram the 6 plus into this belt I'll be set! As a runner I can't imagine putting a 6 plus in a case on my arm! Lol! I won't be able to reply back until the 1st of Oct. Because that's when Apple says I will get my 128gb space gray 6 plus even though I ordered 15 seconds after they finally opened the Apple Store last night:-(

Wow. Thanks, Ray. I've been wanting to try the Adidas Boost but I'm quite fond of my New Balance 1400s. They're the perfect shoe for me and I'll probably stick with them until they're discontinued. I've done 5k through half marathon distances with them.

I use a pebble paired with runkeeper to seeg stats during a run. That works nicely.

I can't wait to hear everyone's feedback on how the 6plus does on a run. I'm still thinking it may be too big for my liking, but keeping an open mind.

Bradley Spence

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I never thought about that. I usually run with my phone in my hand.. I was going to say I'll just bring my  Watch (when it's released) on runs but if you need your phone to be with you, this won't work. Maybe get one of these? A flip belt..

Last edited:

bdtrader

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I never thought about that. I usually run with my phone in my hand.. I was going to say I'll just bring my  Watch (when it's released) on runs but if you need your phone to be with you, this won't work. Maybe get one of these? A flip belt..

I just got a flip belt for running works great. Much better than armbands. It should handle iPhone 6+, I read somewhere people are using it with galaxy notes.

luckydwg

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I use an arm band with my htc one m8 and that isn't much bigger than the 6 plus but this flip belt looks cool. I also use the jaybird wireless headphones and they work great. Excited for my 6+

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I hadn't really thought about it. I haven't been running (outside of using a treadmill) for quite a while. While I do have an iPod nano, if I actually venture outside, I like to use the GPS and have something in case of emergency. I may look into the belts mentioned earlier. I've used arm bands in the past, but they never seem to work out well for me and that can only get worse with the added size of the plus.

Bradley Spence

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I was just watching the Tim Cook interview with Charlie Rose and he said if you want to go for a run and listen to music you can leave your phone at home and just take the watch. That's pretty awesome! (Of course you need bluetooth headphones/earbuds for this)

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I just tried a spibelt with my 5S and it works nicely. They make a bigger one that could be the solution for the 6Plus.

PatrickNSF

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the water-resistant standard sized SPIbelt and it's a very, very tight fit for the mockup iPhone 6 Plus I tried (i.e., my iPhone 5S with a foamboard cutout around it. I run about 30-40 miles per week with the 5S and I forget I'm wearing it, but to me the Plus felt too big for running and was always noticeable. It also felt too large for cycling when held in the SPIbelt. I have both phones preordered but will likely stick with the iPhone 6.

The one advantage the Plus has when used with a SPIbelt is that it nicely flattens the stomach while running :)

PatrickNSF

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I thought that the Watch communicated with the iPhones GPS and did not have it's own GPS. If I'm to use the Watch instead of my Garmin 620 for running, I'd need GPS.

geekpimpfx

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping to get a 6 Plus this week and plan to try running with it. I have a Moto X right now that I put in an ArmPocket and plan to buy a larger ArmPocket to accommodate the 6 Plus. I've been using their products for years and have ran/biked many miles. I run ~30 miles per week and sweat heavily, I've never had moisture problems from the sweat or even light rain using the ArmPocket, so I feel pretty good about buying another one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW