Forget the marketing. Or the plus name. Apple basically came out with an iphone 6C that now occupies what used to be the former premium slot for them.

I know, you'll say well they're almost the same phone. Just pick the size you want. Except now you'll never know what Apple is doing on purpose to differentiate the 6 Plus (while limiting the iphone 6) and its 100 extra premium price.

Today it's OIS, landscape viewing, higher resolution and ppi, and battery life. There's also clock speed which i suspect the 6 plus wins at. Next year could mean even more 6 plus specific features.

Sure you can say get what works for you. Forget the 6 plus exists. But we won't. You'll always know the best phone Apple makes is the plus. Not many like settling for a lesser tier product. I'm sure there will be 6 plus optimized apps as well.
    agalaria and murtzjaffer like this.
    09-10-2014 09:10 AM
    I agree to an extend. Firstly they are concentrating more on iPhone 6 Plus and secondly all apple product consumers are being forced to buy 64GB as 16GB to less (everyone knows that).
    09-10-2014 10:03 AM
    I agree to an extend. Firstly they are concentrating more on iPhone 6 Plus and secondly all apple product consumers are being forced to buy 64GB as 16GB to less (everyone knows that).
    The only people slighted by the move from 32 to 64 are the people who wanted 32GB for the $199 price. Apple didn't owe that favor to anyone. The 16GB folks are still getting their 16GB at the same price point. The 32GB folks, who would have paid $299 to get it, now get an extra 32GB!

Seems the only people upset are those who wanted extra storage without paying more than $199. I know this sounds harsh, but get over it. What's done is done.
    09-10-2014 11:10 AM
    The only difference I have found other than screen size is 1. The screen resolution size is different.
    2. The 6 Plus will get better battery life.
    That's it! Is there anything I'm missing?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    09-10-2014 11:15 AM
    The ability for OIS with the camera and landscape mode.
    09-10-2014 11:24 AM
    The only difference I have found other than screen size is 1. The screen resolution size is different.

I think the biggest differentiation is size; that's the first thing that people mention as something that is a make or break on a device. The second consideration is the battery life difference. With a sealed device, that;s a consideration for me.

I was on the fence between one and the other, and the thing that clinched it for me was the size, really. I wanted the bigger one. Not everyone does. I don't think that's an artificial push one way or another, people do care about it. "the best" is not the consideraton for me, what I want is.
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
    09-10-2014 11:25 AM
    I think the biggest differentiation is size; that's the first thing that people mention as something that is a make or break on a device. The second consideration is the battery life difference. With a sealed device, that;s a consideration for me.

I was on the fence between one and the other, and the thing that clinched it for me was the size, really. I wanted the bigger one. Not everyone does. I don't think that's an artificial push one way or another, people do care about it. "the best" is not the consideraton for me, what I want is.
    Truth is and you can see from my previous postings is that I never wanted a larger phone but when I saw it I had to give it a go because IMHO if anyone can go large and get the phone to just work I would think it would be Apple. The only thing that I don't like is that the Gold is kind of a turn off in something that massive.
    09-10-2014 11:28 AM

The problem is when the 'best' is put in a compromising position and that happened here. I want 'the best' screen resolution, battery life, and camera. But I don't want it on a bohemith device. Apple didn't afford me this choice when foregoing those three things on the 4.7". I'll end up making a decision, but one I didn't want to have to make.
    09-10-2014 11:38 AM

I mean, come on! All of this was expected, right? You can't have a bigger phone without a bigger battery, can't have a bigger screen without higher resolution. The only thing the 6 is missing is OIS and that's because taking a picture with a huge 5.5" screen needs stabilization. I'm not sure if any of you have used a phone that big but I had the Note 2 which is the same screen size and it's pretty hard to take a good image without the extra help. My hand is stable but my images were still shakey. All of this was expected to me.
    09-10-2014 11:43 AM
    I mean, come on! All of this was expected, right? You can't have a bigger phone without a bigger battery, can't have a bigger screen without higher resolution. The only thing the 6 is missing is OIS and that's because taking a picture with a huge 5.5" screen needs stabilization. I'm not sure if any of you have used a phone that big but I had the Note 2 which is the same screen size and it's pretty hard to take a good image without the extra help. My hand is stable but my images were still shakey. All of this was expected to me.
    I have to disagree, well in my case anyway. You certainly can have a larger screen without a higher resolution. Or said differently, they could have went with 3x scaling and offered a higher resolution screen on the 4.7".
    Also, if my hands shake, they shake. Whether you put a 3.5", 4", 4.7" or 5.5" screen in my hand. Heck some could argue that the heft of the 5.5" could help reduce shakiness. So no, I don't think this was a given.
    As for battery, sure. Larger battery, better life.
    09-10-2014 11:48 AM

umm yes you are also missing the optical image stabilization on the camera for the plus vs the digital image stabilization on the 6.
    09-10-2014 02:43 PM
    umm yes you are also missing the optical image stabilization on the camera for the plus vs the digital image stabilization on the 6.
    And the landscape mode
    09-10-2014 02:45 PM
    Truth is and you can see from my previous postings is that I never wanted a larger phone but when I saw it I had to give it a go because IMHO if anyone can go large and get the phone to just work I would think it would be Apple. The only thing that I don't like is that the Gold is kind of a turn off in something that massive.
    Yah I remember you saying that.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s
    09-10-2014 03:24 PM
    Yah I remember you saying that.

I know. I don't know what happened now I have to get a different color because now all of a sudden the husband wants a new phone too and I know he will want that Space Gray
    09-11-2014 12:33 AM
    Ooooo did you read the iMore guide on colours and how they hold up? Seems the lighter colours hold up better.

http://www.imore.com/what-color-ipho...medium=twitter

09-11-2014 05:08 AM
    Well I changed my mind and got the 4.7.
    Thought hard. I always get am Otterbox and that would make the 6.5 huge.
    So....4.7.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives
    09-13-2014 03:58 AM

I was exactly the same except my choice was made clear for me after using the Note 3 for months. I wanted the smaller one as the 6+ is just ridiculously large in my opinion. Now, if the specs had been largely different I would have been very conflicted but if the only major differences are OIS and landscape mode then I don't see this as being even remotely like the differences between the 5x and 5s, as cardfan says.
    09-13-2014 04:41 AM
    I was exactly the same except my choice was made clear for me after using the Note 3 for months. I wanted the smaller one as the 6+ is just ridiculously large in my opinion. Now, if the specs had been largely different I would have been very conflicted but if the only major differences are OIS and landscape mode then I don't see this as being even remotely like the differences between the 5x and 5s, as cardfan says.
    Well I changed my mind at the last minute after I had a talk out with my friend at work. I pushed her into the iPhone 5 two years ago because she was hesitant on the larger size. She loves it now.

So she pointed out to me that the first thing I do when I leave my desk is put my iPhone in my pocket. She pointed out the iPhone 6+ won't allow that in some of my suits.

So I went for the smaller one.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives
    09-13-2014 05:13 AM
    It does seem like the iPhone 6 plus is the more premium device because it doesn't really make any compromises unless you think that the bigger size is a compromise. That's why I went with it. I also got the 128GB version. I don't need that much storage, but again, I want to get the best that Apple brought to the table.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    09-13-2014 05:50 AM
    It is interesting how Apple has turned this thing from "giving the consumers what they want" to "making loads of extra cash." Given the extra 100 that most people are forking out for the 64g and another extra 100 that so many are forking out for the 6+, the top price point from previous launches seems to almost be the standard price point now.
    09-13-2014 08:49 AM
    It is interesting how Apple has turned this thing from "giving the consumers what they want" to "making loads of extra cash." Given the extra 100 that most people are forking out for the 64g and another extra 100 that so many are forking out for the 6+, the top price point from previous launches seems to almost be the standard price point now.
    I don't have the numbers to back me up on this, but I was under the impression that the 32 GB model (which was $100 more than the 16GB to begin with) generally sold better than the 16GB version. In that regard, paying the $100 for 64GB is a bargain since I would've paid the extra $100 for 32GB to begin with.

That said, it would've been nice if the 32GB version replaced the 16GB instead, but that would certainly cut into profit at that point. Pretty sure consumers would flock towards the lower priced iPhone at that point.
    09-13-2014 09:04 AM
    Your math is wrong I do believe. You are only paying an extra 100 for the screen size. This years 64 is selling at last years 32 price.
    09-13-2014 09:10 AM
    This my first iPhone hopefully I enjoy it km excited tho lol I hot the 6+
    09-13-2014 09:27 AM
    This my first iPhone hopefully I enjoy it km excited tho lol I hot the 6+
    You won't be disappointed.
    09-13-2014 09:33 AM
    Your math is wrong I do believe. You are only paying an extra 100 for the screen size. This years 64 is selling at last years 32 price.
    I think what he is implying is that given the larger difference in capacity between the low end and the mid tier, more people are opting for the mid tier than in previous years. Add onto that the bump to get the plus, and the most common configuration (among all iPhones) could be the 64GB Plus at $399 (on contract) versus previous years where the most common configuration was probably the $199 or maybe the $299 price point. I think leaving the base capacity at 16GB and making the mid tier 64GB is definitely driving more buyers to the mid tier compared to previous years where 16GB was probably seen as good enough. The 64GB is seen as a "bargain." Not saying that users wouldn't have chosen higher capacities given the larger screen and greater potential for multimedia, but making the 64GB the mid tier definitely helped push some users to spend more money. (I have previously always bought the 32GB and was thinking I was going to have to get the 64GB this year; luckily, that's now the mid-tier.)
    09-13-2014 10:52 AM
46 12