This is your premium iPhone

scwleung

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
It is interesting how Apple has turned this thing from "giving the consumers what they want" to "making loads of extra cash." Given the extra 100 that most people are forking out for the 64g and another extra 100 that so many are forking out for the 6+, the top price point from previous launches seems to almost be the standard price point now.

I don't have the numbers to back me up on this, but I was under the impression that the 32 GB model (which was $100 more than the 16GB to begin with) generally sold better than the 16GB version. In that regard, paying the $100 for 64GB is a bargain since I would've paid the extra $100 for 32GB to begin with.

That said, it would've been nice if the 32GB version replaced the 16GB instead, but that would certainly cut into profit at that point. Pretty sure consumers would flock towards the lower priced iPhone at that point.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It is interesting how Apple has turned this thing from "giving the consumers what they want" to "making loads of extra cash." Given the extra 100 that most people are forking out for the 64g and another extra 100 that so many are forking out for the 6+, the top price point from previous launches seems to almost be the standard price point now.

Your math is wrong I do believe. You are only paying an extra 100 for the screen size. This years 64 is selling at last years 32 price.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Your math is wrong I do believe. You are only paying an extra 100 for the screen size. This years 64 is selling at last years 32 price.

I think what he is implying is that given the larger difference in capacity between the low end and the mid tier, more people are opting for the mid tier than in previous years. Add onto that the bump to get the plus, and the most common configuration (among all iPhones) could be the 64GB Plus at $399 (on contract) versus previous years where the most common configuration was probably the $199 or maybe the $299 price point. I think leaving the base capacity at 16GB and making the mid tier 64GB is definitely driving more buyers to the mid tier compared to previous years where 16GB was probably seen as good enough. The 64GB is seen as a "bargain." Not saying that users wouldn't have chosen higher capacities given the larger screen and greater potential for multimedia, but making the 64GB the mid tier definitely helped push some users to spend more money. (I have previously always bought the 32GB and was thinking I was going to have to get the 64GB this year; luckily, that's now the mid-tier.)

metrix

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
This has been stuck in my craw ever since the press conference too. The iPhone 6+ should be the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 should be the iPhone c or whatever. But it's a way to shake another 100 bucks out of the consumers, knowing they're going to want and pay for the better of the two. As an avid, lifelong Mac user I've been comfortable with Apple being a "premium brand," but at some point this gets out of control.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This has been stuck in my craw ever since the press conference too.
I'm sorry, but what the heck is a craw?
The iPhone 6+ should be the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 should be the iPhone c or whatever.
No, the iPhones are exactly as they should be - the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus.
But it's a way to shake another 100 bucks out of the consumers, knowing they're going to want and pay for the better of the two.
Were you one of the many tech enthusiasts and analysts who have been pushing Apple to release two iPhones, one being phablet size?
As an avid, lifelong Mac user I've been comfortable with Apple being a "premium brand," but at some point this gets out of control.
At some point, today's consumers have to learn that they do NOT have to purchase every new tech gadget that comes out.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I bet the majority of people ordering the 6plus did it based on the screen size alone, which is ok... to me it was a combination of everything Apple made to differentiate it from the 4.7 model, but I'll have to see if the trade off of carrying a phone that big is worth it...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is interesting how Apple has turned this thing from "giving the consumers what they want" to "making loads of extra cash."
Wait. What? Certain consumers have been pushing Apple to release a bigger iPhone. Some even wanted Apple to release a phablet size iPhone. Well, Apple gave them what they wanted. As for making loads of cash, I think back to business 101 - People are in business to offer a product or service 'at a profit'.
Given the extra 100 that most people are forking out for the 64g and another extra 100 that so many are forking out for the 6+, the top price point from previous launches seems to almost be the standard price point now.
It doesn't matter because those people do NOT have to fork over that money, but are opting to do so because they have concluded that it is worth it. Apple is NOT forcing them to buy their products.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: This is your premium iphone

The only people slighted by the move from 32 to 64 are the people who wanted 32GB for the $199 price. Apple didn't owe that favor to anyone. The 16GB folks are still getting their 16GB at the same price point. The 32GB folks, who would have paid $299 to get it, now get an extra 32GB!

Seems the only people upset are those who wanted extra storage without paying more than $199. I know this sounds harsh, but get over it. What's done is done.

I can see that you marketing skills are hurting young Padewan. Apple omitted the 32 GB and forced the jump from 16 to 64 because they make more selling the 64gb than the 16. If they went with 32, 64, and 128 at the same price points then more consumers would have chosen 32 and that would drop the bottom line. Its a smart move on their part but a sad one because 16 gb is a waste of money for buyers.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I bet the majority of people ordering the 6plus did it based on the screen size alone, which is ok... to me it was a combination of everything Apple made to differentiate it from the 4.7 model, but I'll have to see if the trade off of carrying a phone that big is worth it...

I don't know what other people did but I ordered the 6+ because I wanted a bigger screen and I liked the OIS, Portrait mode, and the PPi (even though they are saying you can't tell).

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

I can see that you marketing skills are hurting young Padewan. Apple omitted the 32 GB and forced the jump from 16 to 64 because they make more selling the 64gb than the 16. If they went with 32, 64, and 128 at the same price points then more consumers would have chosen 32 and that would drop the bottom line. Its a smart move on their part but a sad one because 16 gb is a waste of money for buyers.

How is the 16GB a waste of money for buyers. Everyone doesn't need 32GB of memory especially when Apple has dropped the price of iCloud. You can get 20GB for .99 cent a month! I have a sister that has a 16 GB iPhone and still has 8 GB left.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Please. I never said Apple didn't know what they are doing. But at the same time, a person who was going to pay $199 either a) because they only desire 16gb or b) only could afford $199, will face a situation that is no different since inception. Nothing changed. $199 gets you that 16GB as it always has.

People who wanted more than 16GB were going to pay $299 whether it was for 32GB in the past or for the 64GB now. Conversely, those who were aiming for 64GB as being ideal are now paying Apple $100 less.

It plays out numerous ways but again, in the end, the people crying about it are the people who thought they might get 32GB at the $199 price. Nothing changed for them.

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree, I believe they are the same phone???? Look at the iPad Air and iPad Mini 2
Anyways, I got the 6 Plus because of the bigger screen, not that there is anything wrong with the regular 6

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I can see your cynicism is getting the better of you young *padawan (spelling for your future reference there)...you've decided to completely disregard the fact that heavy cloud storage users have no use for large on board storage options (and yes, these days 64GB is a large option). The truth is, most people's storage space is taken up by music, pictures and videos...and with iCloud, you don't have to worry about those things taking up space anymore (if that is your forte), making 16GB (well, technically closer to 13GB) of space for apps perfectly reasonable given the relatively small size of applications on the iPhone.

I know it's more fun to believe that Apple is sitting in Cupertino trying to figure out ways to squeeze every last penny out of every person that buys their product...I mean this becomes clearly evident with the fact that they have such cheap and poor customer service skills and poorly laid out, run down stores to view the products in. Oh...wait...

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site

I don't consider 16GB a waste, but think it's not as "large" as it used to be perceived as app sizes increase, etc. My wife uses her phone for calling, occasional texting (actually uses her iPad more for this), occasional pictures (again, uses her iPad because of the larger "viewfinder"), and syncing her FitBit. She doesn't keep much music on there or use many apps (probably uses 3-4 at most). So, 16GB would be perfectly fine for her. On the other hand, I have lots of apps. music, and use it as my primary camera, so I was going to go 64GB anyway. My scenario actually means I spent less than I was anticipating. Bumping the base level from 16 to 32 wouldn't have changed what I bought, and it wouldn't have been needed for users with usage similar to my wife's. So I still think 16GB still has its place, but for those who think 32 would have been the perfect size, they either get 64 instead and spend the amount they should have anticipated or lament the fact that they don't get a $100 "discount" by having 32 be the base configuration. I don't think of it as screwing the low end. I see it as a nice "enhancement" for the "power" users. I imagine many users will get the 64GB instead of the 16GB because they're getting 48GB for the extra $100 instead of just 16GB like before. It seems like a deal. This helps Apple keep their margins up and investors happy and yet still address the needs of power users with higher storage requirements.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Regardless, if you do spreadsheets of costs along with carrier plans for one year, two years, 4 years, etc you'll see that a 100 dollars means very little.

The important thing is the monthly cost. The cost of phone means little since you can resell it.

It's funny we don't see people griping over losing a 100 when they trade in their phone. Yet that's what they're doing.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

16GB is a waste in 2014, but not in 2013?

If apple moved from 16, 32, 64, people would flock to the 32. Since they introduced the 128 they have to justify the upgrade prices. If the low model was 32 then that would be the biggest seller and they would lose money because for most people 32 is enough. 16 is not going to satisfy most people so they will move to the 64. Its marketing and its very smart on apple's part.

I have a 16gb i5s:
12.9 gb is available from stock. I have 1gb on iPhoto(should be in the cloud but takes a gb away from me), apps take up 2 gb, and I have 1.5 gb in pics. I don't store music or videos because it would take all of my space which is 4gb. I would rather have more freedom and space than say "16gb is a waste".

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2