This is your premium iPhone

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Forget the marketing. Or the plus name. Apple basically came out with an iphone 6C that now occupies what used to be the former premium slot for them.

I know, you'll say well they're almost the same phone. Just pick the size you want. Except now you'll never know what Apple is doing on purpose to differentiate the 6 Plus (while limiting the iphone 6) and its 100 extra premium price.

Today it's OIS, landscape viewing, higher resolution and ppi, and battery life. There's also clock speed which i suspect the 6 plus wins at. Next year could mean even more 6 plus specific features.

Sure you can say get what works for you. Forget the 6 plus exists. But we won't. You'll always know the best phone Apple makes is the plus. Not many like settling for a lesser tier product. I'm sure there will be 6 plus optimized apps as well.

agalaria

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: This is your premium iphone

I agree to an extend. Firstly they are concentrating more on iPhone 6 Plus and secondly all apple product consumers are being forced to buy 64GB as 16GB to less (everyone knows that).

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I agree to an extend. Firstly they are concentrating more on iPhone 6 Plus and secondly all apple product consumers are being forced to buy 64GB as 16GB to less (everyone knows that).

The only people slighted by the move from 32 to 64 are the people who wanted 32GB for the $199 price. Apple didn't owe that favor to anyone. The 16GB folks are still getting their 16GB at the same price point. The 32GB folks, who would have paid $299 to get it, now get an extra 32GB!

Seems the only people upset are those who wanted extra storage without paying more than $199. I know this sounds harsh, but get over it. What's done is done.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

The only difference I have found other than screen size is 1. The screen resolution size is different.
2. The 6 Plus will get better battery life.
That's it! Is there anything I'm missing?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

The only difference I have found other than screen size is 1. The screen resolution size is different.

I think the biggest differentiation is size; that's the first thing that people mention as something that is a make or break on a device. The second consideration is the battery life difference. With a sealed device, that;s a consideration for me.

I was on the fence between one and the other, and the thing that clinched it for me was the size, really. I wanted the bigger one. Not everyone does. I don't think that's an artificial push one way or another, people do care about it. "the best" is not the consideraton for me, what I want is.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

I think the biggest differentiation is size; that's the first thing that people mention as something that is a make or break on a device. The second consideration is the battery life difference. With a sealed device, that;s a consideration for me.

I was on the fence between one and the other, and the thing that clinched it for me was the size, really. I wanted the bigger one. Not everyone does. I don't think that's an artificial push one way or another, people do care about it. "the best" is not the consideraton for me, what I want is.

Truth is and you can see from my previous postings is that I never wanted a larger phone but when I saw it I had to give it a go because IMHO if anyone can go large and get the phone to just work I would think it would be Apple. The only thing that I don't like is that the Gold is kind of a turn off in something that massive.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

The problem is when the 'best' is put in a compromising position and that happened here. I want 'the best' screen resolution, battery life, and camera. But I don't want it on a bohemith device. Apple didn't afford me this choice when foregoing those three things on the 4.7". I'll end up making a decision, but one I didn't want to have to make.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I mean, come on! All of this was expected, right? You can't have a bigger phone without a bigger battery, can't have a bigger screen without higher resolution. The only thing the 6 is missing is OIS and that's because taking a picture with a huge 5.5" screen needs stabilization. I'm not sure if any of you have used a phone that big but I had the Note 2 which is the same screen size and it's pretty hard to take a good image without the extra help. My hand is stable but my images were still shakey. All of this was expected to me.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I mean, come on! All of this was expected, right? You can't have a bigger phone without a bigger battery, can't have a bigger screen without higher resolution. The only thing the 6 is missing is OIS and that's because taking a picture with a huge 5.5" screen needs stabilization. I'm not sure if any of you have used a phone that big but I had the Note 2 which is the same screen size and it's pretty hard to take a good image without the extra help. My hand is stable but my images were still shakey. All of this was expected to me.

I have to disagree, well in my case anyway. You certainly can have a larger screen without a higher resolution. Or said differently, they could have went with 3x scaling and offered a higher resolution screen on the 4.7".
Also, if my hands shake, they shake. Whether you put a 3.5", 4", 4.7" or 5.5" screen in my hand. Heck some could argue that the heft of the 5.5" could help reduce shakiness. So no, I don't think this was a given.
As for battery, sure. Larger battery, better life.

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

umm yes you are also missing the optical image stabilization on the camera for the plus vs the digital image stabilization on the 6.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Truth is and you can see from my previous postings is that I never wanted a larger phone but when I saw it I had to give it a go because IMHO if anyone can go large and get the phone to just work I would think it would be Apple. The only thing that I don't like is that the Gold is kind of a turn off in something that massive.

Yah I remember you saying that.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

Yah I remember you saying that.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s

I know. I don't know what happened now I have to get a different color because now all of a sudden the husband wants a new phone too and I know he will want that Space Gray

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Well I changed my mind and got the 4.7.
Thought hard. I always get am Otterbox and that would make the 6.5 huge.
So....4.7.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I was exactly the same except my choice was made clear for me after using the Note 3 for months. I wanted the smaller one as the 6+ is just ridiculously large in my opinion. Now, if the specs had been largely different I would have been very conflicted but if the only major differences are OIS and landscape mode then I don't see this as being even remotely like the differences between the 5x and 5s, as cardfan says.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I was exactly the same except my choice was made clear for me after using the Note 3 for months. I wanted the smaller one as the 6+ is just ridiculously large in my opinion. Now, if the specs had been largely different I would have been very conflicted but if the only major differences are OIS and landscape mode then I don't see this as being even remotely like the differences between the 5x and 5s, as cardfan says.

Well I changed my mind at the last minute after I had a talk out with my friend at work. I pushed her into the iPhone 5 two years ago because she was hesitant on the larger size. She loves it now.

So she pointed out to me that the first thing I do when I leave my desk is put my iPhone in my pocket. She pointed out the iPhone 6+ won't allow that in some of my suits.

So I went for the smaller one.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
It does seem like the iPhone 6 plus is the more premium device because it doesn't really make any compromises unless you think that the bigger size is a compromise. That's why I went with it. I also got the 128GB version. I don't need that much storage, but again, I want to get the best that Apple brought to the table.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Justin Beatty

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
It is interesting how Apple has turned this thing from "giving the consumers what they want" to "making loads of extra cash." Given the extra 100 that most people are forking out for the 64g and another extra 100 that so many are forking out for the 6+, the top price point from previous launches seems to almost be the standard price point now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox