Numbers instead of signal dots?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I did this earlier this morning but switched back as the dBm just adds confusion for me as I've not found anything that helps me understand what a good signal in dBm is. Lol

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I did this earlier this morning but switched back as the dBm just adds confusion for me as I've not found anything that helps me understand what a good signal in dBm is. Lol

The closer you get to 0 is best! My signal is at 97 right now. Lol

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

That's a good perspective. EmceeGeek is right. I didn't really know much more than lower values are better. Reading up on it a bit, I think that Apple and other cell phone manufacturers are wise to use a relative method for strength. In Apples case, more dots means "closer to zero". Like you I'd much rather worry about dots than begin to obsess over integers.
dBm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How to read signal strength in dbm's - Wireless - Wireless Networking

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Here?s how it?s done:

Step 1: Dial *3001#12345#* on your iPhone then press Call.

Step 2: You'll now enter Field Test mode. You'll notice a signal strength indicator on the upper left hand corner of your screen. You can toggle between signal strength bars and a number by simply taping on it. At this point, press the home button to exit the app or if you would like the feature to be permanent, continue on. Don't worry, the process is completely reversible.

Step 3: Hold down on the Power button until you see the ?slide to power off' bar. Do not power off the device.

Step 4: Press down on the Home button until the app closes and you return to your home screen. (NOTE: User bladepwns reports that on iOS 7, this does not return you to the home screen. He reports that powering OFF your phone while in FIELD TEST mode will accomplish the same thing.)

That's it. Even when restarting the iPhone, the signal strength can be toggled between bars and numbers. The closer your number is to zero, the stronger your signal is.

The lower your number, the stronger your signal?but don't include the - sign when evaluating (so, if the signal says -60, that's better than -90).

To return to the default bars permanently, follow these steps:

Step 1: Dial *3001#12345#* on your iPhone then press Call.

Step 2: Press on your Home Button once.

This trick may come in handy when you're in a dead zone and need to know where to move to for a better signal.

Did this today on my 5S & it works perfectly...Thanks for the tip!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am noticing that whenever I'm in the Tapatalk Pro app, the default signal bars display. While viewing the home screens or when I'm in any other app, the dB status displays. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed if I tap the signal area when some apps are open, it will change between the numbers and dots. It seems it has to be an app that doesn't have an action button right below the signal area. And it will remember how the display was if it was different from 'normal' when you close it, and it will display the same way the next time you open it.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed if I tap the signal area when some apps are open, it will change between the numbers and dots. It seems it has to be an app that doesn't have an action button right below the signal area. And it will remember how the display was if it was different from 'normal' when you close it, and it will display the same way the next time you open it.

I miss webOS patches myself buddy 😑

Sent from my iPhone 5

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Monitoring my signal throughout the day to put together a lil chart showing how dots correspond to signal in dBm on my Verizon iPhone 5! May not help anyone else but it'll sure help me!

The only thing is I don't know if my ranges will differ based on whether I'm on LTE or 3G...

This is what I have thus far...

Dots: dBm

LTE
5: 69-82
4: 87-93
3: 95-106
2: 107-
1:

3G
5:
4:
3: 88-92
2: 93-100
1: 102-106

Last edited:

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Monitoring my signal throughout the day to put together a lil chart showing how dots correspond to signal in dBm on my Verizon iPhone 5! May not help anyone else but it'll sure help me!

The only thing is I don't know if my ranges will differ based on whether I'm on LTE or 3G...

This is what I have thus far...

Dots: dBm

LTE
5: 69-82
4: 87-93
3: 95-106
2: 107-
1:

3G
5:
4:
3: 88-92
2: 93-100
1: 102-106

That graph won't work for me. I have sprint but at my home I get 1-2 dots and I just did this (had to power cycle in test mode to get it to stick) and I am between -117 to -114.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
That graph won't work for me. I have sprint but at my home I get 1-2 dots and I just did this (had to power cycle in test mode to get it to stick) and I am between -117 to -114.

Yeah I don't know how it'll work because I'll be on 2 dots and get a reading then later that same reading will display while on three dots. One thing I've see is what range is considered decent signal for wherever I am and that in and of itself is very helpful.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW