Numbers instead of signal dots?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I have seen a lot of screenshots of many people running iOS 7 on their iPhone, and instead of having the not so pleasing dots, they have the actual numerical equivalent of the signal strength.

Can someone let me in on the secret? I'd much prefer that to these horrid dots!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Here’s how it’s done:

Step 1: Dial *3001#12345#* on your iPhone then press Call.

Step 2: You'll now enter Field Test mode. You'll notice a signal strength indicator on the upper left hand corner of your screen. You can toggle between signal strength bars and a number by simply taping on it. At this point, press the home button to exit the app or if you would like the feature to be permanent, continue on. Don't worry, the process is completely reversible.

Step 3: Hold down on the Power button until you see the ‘slide to power off' bar. Do not power off the device.

Step 4: Press down on the Home button until the app closes and you return to your home screen. (NOTE: User bladepwns reports that on iOS 7, this does not return you to the home screen. He reports that powering OFF your phone while in FIELD TEST mode will accomplish the same thing.)

That's it. Even when restarting the iPhone, the signal strength can be toggled between bars and numbers. The closer your number is to zero, the stronger your signal is.

The lower your number, the stronger your signal—but don't include the - sign when evaluating (so, if the signal says -60, that's better than -90).

To return to the default bars permanently, follow these steps:

Step 2: Press on your Home Button once.

This trick may come in handy when you're in a dead zone and need to know where to move to for a better signal.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I get field test mode OK - but can't get the signal strength to persist...

Hmmm. There are two options in step 2... are you pressing HOME and quitting the process or continuing on to steps 3 and 4? I’ve done this multiple times on multiple devices without problems... wonder if it’s a GSM/CDMA thing?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Sweeeeeet! It worked like a charm. I rebooted the phone just to make sure it was still there, too.

Thanks a million! I prefer this to the darn dots!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm. There are two options in step 2... are you pressing HOME and quitting the process or continuing on to steps 3 and 4? I’ve done this multiple times on multiple devices without problems... wonder if it’s a GSM/CDMA thing?
Yes, I'm completing the steps as written... it may be something the 5S does the 5 does not...

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Got to step 4 but it doesn't close the app it just reconnects and stays there. On Verizon

I have Verizon and tried it several times before I got it to work. What I finally did was dial the number, hold the power button until the slide bar came up, hold the home button until the program completely clears and the phone returns to the home screen. Then it'll stay.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don’t remember exactly where I got this info originally... I’ve been using it for several years now...

I just did a quick serach and found a couple of sites with the same info... perhaps it’s something to do with the iPhone 5S, as Keith suggested... I had it on my iPhone 5 and it came back on my 5S when I restored from a backup.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Step 4 isn't working correctly for me. When I hold home, it goes back to the app and stays there, and doesn't return to the home screen. If I press home again, it goes to the home screen and reverts back to the dots. Am I interpreting this step wrong or do I just need to keep trying? :) I tried to keep holding home down after returning to the app - maybe I just didn't wait long enough. It appeared nothing was going to happen so I let off.

bladepwns

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have used this trick for years, only I just noticed than on iOS 7 holding the home button will no longer suffice. It now seems to bring me back to Field Test. Powering down the device while in Field Test did the trick, though.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Here?s how it?s done:

Step 2: You'll now enter Field Test mode. You'll notice a signal strength indicator on the upper left hand corner of your screen. You can toggle between signal strength bars and a number by simply taping on it. At this point, press the home button to exit the app or if you would like the feature to be permanent, continue on. Don't worry, the process is completely reversible.

Step 3: Hold down on the Power button until you see the ?slide to power off' bar. Do not power off the device.

Step 4: Press down on the Home button until the app closes and you return to your home screen. (NOTE: User bladepwns reports that on iOS 7, this does not return you to the home screen. He reports that powering OFF your phone while in FIELD TEST mode will accomplish the same thing.)

That's it. Even when restarting the iPhone, the signal strength can be toggled between bars and numbers. The closer your number is to zero, the stronger your signal is.

The lower your number, the stronger your signal?but don't include the - sign when evaluating (so, if the signal says -60, that's better than -90).

To return to the default bars permanently, follow these steps:

Step 2: Press on your Home Button once.

This trick may come in handy when you're in a dead zone and need to know where to move to for a better signal.

That is so cool,thanks

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have used this trick for years, only I just noticed than on iOS 7 holding the home button will no longer suffice. It now seems to bring me back to Field Test. Powering down the device while in Field Test did the trick, though.

Thanks this finally worked for me.

Terb

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Nice, change over went perfect.
I like that a lot better than looking at them dots :) -67 ATM

Btw, is this possible to set up on the iPad ??

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Nice, change over went perfect.
I like that a lot better than looking at them dots :) -67 ATM

Btw, is this possible to set up on the iPad ??

Not sure. All
Of our iPads are wifi only. Won't do any damage ? it will either work or it wont.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR