Water Damaged...Is it worth Fixing???

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
My son jumped in the pool with his iPhone 5S and it sustained water damage. He put it in rice for 24 hours but that didn't help. I opened it up and noticed it has water spot in some places. I want to say the logic board and other internal components are dead.

If I wanted to try to fix it, what parts should I definitely be replacing. I would assume the display, battery and logic board. But I'm not sure exactly what other components should also be replaced.

Thanks.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The 5s was build with no water protection at all so a full immerse is a device killer. Even if you was to replace parts and get it running it will develop more issues in the future as the water mixed with Chlorine will start to do its real damage

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I figured as much but thought I would ask the pros here on the forum for advice. Thanks for your feedback. I'm eligible for an upgrade, thinking of upgrading to the 8, so will most likely go that route and give him my current 6S.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I figured as much but thought I would ask the pros here on the forum for advice. Thanks for your feedback. I'm eligible for an upgrade, thinking of upgrading to the 8, so will most likely go that route and give him my current 6S.

Sounds a plan. Even if your son’s 5s came back to life it would likely be short lived.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 8 has an IP67 water resistance rating too so if you take it for a swim you should be fine.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 8 has an IP67 water resistance rating too so if you take it for a swim you should be fine.

Went ahead and ordered the iPhone 8 for myself. Will give my son my current 6S. Told him if he decides to take a swim with it like he did with the 5S, he is screwed as I wont be getting him a replacement iPhone. Instead will get him a flip phone like I had back in the early 2000s.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Went ahead and ordered the iPhone 8 for myself. Will give my son my current 6S. Told him if he decides to take a swim with it like he did with the 5S, he is screwed as I wont be getting him a replacement iPhone. Instead will get him a flip phone like I had back in the early 2000s.

Tell him you found his next replacement phone and then show him this photo:
68ae566f1ccaa7c04079b90b4016d862.jpg

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

The 6s Apple started to test water resistance with no rating that I know of but my GFs daughter dropped hers in the toilet and it didn’t die out. I was surprised but it went in for only a sec it two

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234