My daughter dropped her 5s in the toilet and it stopped working. I took it apart after I got it two weeks later. It looked dry inside, but the battery is deformed. Is it worth buying a new battery for, or is the phone junk?

Thanks, Smitty
    02-10-2016 06:01 PM
    Welcome to iMore. That is a tough question to answer. Personally I would not waste any money putting a new battery in, just in case it does not work. Best call would be to go to an Apple Store and see what they have to say. Most likely they will tell you to just replace the phone. You may get lucky or you may not, but do you want to spend money on the chance it may not work and then still have to replace the phone. Or that it will work and only for a short period of time. Say a few weeks. Tough call.

Only my opinion and others may have a different view on the subject.
    02-10-2016 06:13 PM
    My daughter dropped her 5s in the toilet and it stopped working. I took it apart after I got it two weeks later. It looked dry inside, but the battery is deformed. Is it worth buying a new battery for, or is the phone junk?

Thanks, Smitty
    Bite the bullet and replace the iPhone, in my opinion. With water damage, it's a crap shoot. It may work perfectly for weeks and then start displaying weird behaviors that eventually lead to permanent damage. It's just not worth the hassle "for me", but not everyone feels that way. Still, I'd replace the device, especially if you purchased Apple Care +.
    firedept10 likes this.
    02-10-2016 07:17 PM
    Corrosion sets in later and parts quit working.
    02-10-2016 09:18 PM