5S - Stay on 8.4.1 or upgrade to 9.2.1?

maskedcarrot

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
So my wife is still using an iPhone 5S, and I still have her on 8.4.1 since that was the last of the great OS versions.

I've been reading some good things about 9.2.1, and I'm already running it on my 6s Plus without issue, but not sure if I should put it on my wife's 5S or not.

She hardly does anything on the phone though. Talk, Text, camera, banking APP, and maybe Google searches I think is the extent of her iPhone usage.

So far her phone still runs great on 8.4.1, and I doubt there is anything new in there that would benefit her, but I just like things to be running the last version of things.

So is it worth while to update it?

Last edited:

WaveGod

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I just got my iPhone 5S about a month ago, so I cannot speak on 8.4.1, but my phone is on 9.2.1 and everything has been running great for me. My typical usage includes iMessage and texting periodically throughout the day, light browsing, Twitter and Instagram. I would say go for it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So my wife is still using an iPhone 5S, and I still have her on 8.4.1 since that was the last of the great OS versions.

I've been reading some good things about 9.2.1, and I'm already running it on my 6s Plus without issue, but not sure if I should put it on my wife's 5S or not.

She hardly does anything on the phone though. Talk, Text, camera, banking APP, and maybe Google searches I think is the extent of her iPhone usage.

So far her phone still runs great on 8.4.1, and I doubt there is anything new in there that would benefit her, but I just like things to be running the last version of things.

So is it worth while to update it?

Keep in mind that features aren't the only focus of an iOS update. They also include security-related enhancements.

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
9.2.1 is slower on the 5S. Period. That being said, it's not too bad. It freezes up sometimes on me, but I guess you just get used to it.

eSport

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Just updated my iPhone 5s (7.0.1) - purchased new in Jan 2014 to 9.2.1

At this stage its seems a little slower, almost hesitant, albeit my 5s is used as a 2nd device.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, it's odd to me that responses are so mixed here. Just ordered one (not directly from apple) and I'm not sure what update it will come with. I guess I will see, but it's hard to know what to expect.