How do I get rid of mailware on my iPhone 5S?

I

iMore Question

how do I get rid of mailware on my Iphone 5S?

blue and red screen. error read to contact 800 number due to suspicious activity attempting to access information.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: how do I get rid of mailware on my Iphone 5S?

Welcome to iMore! This is very odd for an iOS device because anything installed on your phone goes through the App Store and is preapproved by Apple. Does this only happen when you're using Safari? Is it in a particular app? Can you post a screen shot? There are two causes that I an think of:

1. A web site installed a cookie on your device. This can usually be solved by clearing your browser history. Open Safari, tap the bookmark button on the bottom, tap on History, tap on Clear on the bottom right corner, and choose the "All Time" option. If that fixes your problem you're all set. If you're still getting the pop-up, continue on.

2. Rogue apps sometimes find their way onto your device despite Apple's best efforts. The only way to be sure that it's removed is to restore your device back to factory settings and set it up as a new device. You can do this by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Once the process completes and you're at the Welcome screen (where you set up initial settings on your phone), choose to set it up as a new device. Do not restore from a previous backup because this may result in whatever is popping up on your phone to come back.

Alternatively, you can restore your device using iTunes on a Mac or PC. This is actually the preferred method as it creates a clean iOS installation rather than simply erasing everything that isn't part of the initial iOS installation that's already on your device. Instructions are here: How to restore your iPhone or iPad with iTunes | iMore

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73