Is it worth buying iPhone 5s now?

I3unny

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone I am new to iMore.. I have been using windows phone since 3 years and wanna try IOS but I cant really afford to get iphone 6 or 6s devices so I was thinking if it will be worth to buy iphone 5s now.. so please tell me guys is it worth getting iphone 5s now?

Thank you.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I would say that if you can get one super cheap then yes it is.

Whilst it is still a really great phone (and that series just looks better then the current iteration, in my opinion), it is still a phone that is two years old and things have moved on considerably since then.

I3unny

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I would say that if you can get one super cheap then yes it is.

Whilst it is still a really great phone (and that series just looks better then the current iteration, in my opinion), it is still a phone that is two years old and things have moved on considerably since then.

thank you for reply!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I think it is. My sons both have the 5s and love them. I believe if you can get one for a reasonable price, that you should be able to get 1-2 years out of it. My wife uses a 5 and it can still run the latest IOS without any issues, so the 5s will last you for some time to come. The form factor is why my sons like the 5s. Still a great phone and can now be had at a good price.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Depends on your use of the phone. From what you are saying, you have a budget restriction, in which case, as other people said, it would be better to buy a decent used one. About the 5s itself, it is a great phone and you should have no problem. There are many people who do not like large phones and I am one of them. I have been using the 5s and bought 6 when it came out, but returned it in a few days. But I am a gadget freak and always have to have the latest and greatest. Recently, I could not resist the urge and bought a 6s, but I think I will be returning it soon. I use the phone mostly for communication and PIM, and for that purpose, you can't beat the pocketability and palm-fitting 5s (it's the perfect size and very light). Yet it is fully capable of browsing and content consumption It's just smaller. You should not worry about the obsolescence for another 2 years or so. Apple is running out of additional features and they will be more into new external design, screen, ever increasing CPU speed or gimmicky features etc, but I do not play along with them :). Return to basics, so to speak. Don't worry, go ahead.
Just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone I am new to iMore.. I have been using windows phone since 3 years and wanna try IOS but I cant really afford to get iphone 6 or 6s devices so I was thinking if it will be worth to buy iphone 5s now.. so please tell me guys is it worth getting iphone 5s now?

Thank you.

The 5s is still a great phone IMO, and with few exceptions will perform as well as the new 6s that'll cost you considerably more. Personally, I too like the form factor of the 5 series, however to each their own in that aspect.
If you're on a budget and don't want to mortgage your soul to buy the 6s, the 5s will serve you well....

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
The 5s is still a great phone IMO, and with few exceptions will perform as well as the new 6s that'll cost you considerably more. Personally, I too like the form factor of the 5 series, however to each their own in that aspect.
If you're on a budget and don't want to mortgage your soul to buy the 6s, the 5s will serve you well....

In essence, this post says it all :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The 5s is still a nice phone, if you don't mind the screen size. The 6 and 6s definitely have their advantages, but the 5s will live on for several years. It should get at least 2 more OS updates. But even if it only gets one more, iOS 10 would take you a long way.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I think the 5s is a very good phone. Plenty of people have kept them rather than update to big phones. You should get a few years out of one even if secondhand.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I think if you cannot afford a 6s you don't need a new phone. Buying old technology just "try" something new isn't really that great of idea ...

I3unny

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
how about purchasing an ipod touch to try IOS? can someone tell me other than phone calls whats the difference in ipod touch and iphone?

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
how about purchasing an ipod touch to try IOS? can someone tell me other than phone calls whats the difference in ipod touch and iphone?

I can honestly say yes. This is a good idea. Other than the form factor and lack of a radio for phone calls all the apps and the os work exactly the same on the ipod. It is a mirror image of what an iPhone is. What I did to help me make the decision was carry my phone around with the ipod. I enabled hotshot on my phone and used the ipod like it was a phone for everything but calls. You can even enable imessage and text friends that have IPhones off the ipod.

HariKECE

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
It is possible to install Skype (in fact all apps)..But if you want to use whatsapp, u need an iPhone for the initial setup and later you don't need.. check for some videos in the YouTube about installing the whatspp in the iPod Touch..
BTW, I used the iPod Touch 4 th gen for all my needs except the phone calls and whatsapp (for around an year).. I used to WiFi tether my primary phone and connect iPod Touch...Its a good combination.. But the big thing for me was, the battery life in the iPod Touch was very bad(when you do browsing, Facebook, Twitter etc)...This was the deal breaker for me...I don't know how much it improved in the latest iPod Touch..

szymunk

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Dunno about your iPod question but speaking od #iPhone5s I have decided to buy one just few days ago! Look up my thread, gonna update it with infos in the upcoming days. Are you still wondering whether to buy it?

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I-phone is a brand boss, when you have I-phone in your hand, everyone always have their eyes on your phone. You would feel so proud when you are standing in the crowd and everyone is keeping his on your phone.
If you can not afford I-phone 6 or 6s, you can go for I-phone 5s as it's worthy. I think you must buy i-phone it does not matter what version you have but it matters you have I-phone. So try it at least once in your life.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods