Why are missed phone calls appearing after weeks of being gone?

Spartan John-117

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Missed phone calls appearing after weeks of being gone

My girlfriend and I both have 5s' and she's on the standard software, I'm on beta. For the last few weeks, she has been getting random notifications of missed calls from weeks prior, they say 5 days ago and the time range varies based on the particular item. Today, for the first time my iPhone started doing the same thing only one missed call from her three days ago. I'm on the 9.1 beta and originally thought it was software with her phone but now I'm guessing its the devices. Does anyone have a clue?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Missed phone calls appearing after weeks of being gone

I haven't seen this happen. (My wife is running "standard software" and I'm running the "beta", too.)

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I get these types of notifications after a fresh iOS install. After the restore, someone will call me and then the flood of old notifications pop up. Within my "Recent" call log, I will have the most recent call, then about 30 logs from March - July of this year.

I wrote into another thread about this. I think it has to do with KeyChain or just simply data saved within Apple's servers. It is NOT iCloud Backup, because I don't use that and never have.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So I wiped my 5s to factory at 10am on December 9, 2015. No call history appeared until 7:48pm, as you can see in the attached image. Look at the DAYS next to the notification. Does anyone know (for a fact) where this information comes from? My guess is KeyChain.

missed-calls.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So I wiped my 5s to factory at 10am on December 9, 2015. No call history appeared until 7:48pm, as you can see in the attached image. Look at the DAYS next to the notification. Does anyone know (for a fact) where this information comes from? My guess is KeyChain.

View attachment 99453

Do you slide it left and dismiss it? I don't have lock screen notifications set for calls. Just sound Ringtone and red badge.
Not right. I have alert rather than banner. Do have lock screen notifications, but they are alert style and don't stay on screen.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I don't dismiss them. I don't do anything with them, apparently Apple does though. It does not matter if I go into my call log and manually delete each entry OR delete all at once. After a clean restore, they all come back. My screenshot is showing this, funny thing is? of the 100's of missed calls, only these 4 was I notified about.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't dismiss them. I don't do anything with them, apparently Apple does though. It does not matter if I go into my call log and manually delete each entry OR delete all at once. After a clean restore, they all come back. My screenshot is showing this, funny thing is? of the 100's of missed calls, only these 4 was I notified about.

Did you restore from a back up? If so, restore as new. Not from a back up.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I have never restored from a backup, always setup as new. This issue has been happening since I bought this iPhone. I usually wipe once every month or two to get a clean slate.

I can't understand why myself and the OP are the only two iOS users that noticed this.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have never restored from a backup, always setup as new. This issue has been happening since I bought this iPhone. I usually wipe once every month or two to get a clean slate.

I can't understand why myself and the OP are the only two iOS users that noticed this.

Have you tried switching to "alerts" rather than "banner"?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The notification alert itself doesn't bother/concern me, being unaware of what data is syncing does. I am looking for an option to delete this data for good, or at least prevent it from syncing back down.

Under iCloud options, a user can CHOOSE what they wish to sync, but there is no choice for Call History?

I have NO iCloud backups and it is always turned off and I don't plug the iPhone into a computer (therefore not backing or restoring through iTunes).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The notification alert itself doesn't bother/concern me, being unaware of what data is syncing does. I am looking for an option to delete this data for good, or at least prevent it from syncing back down.

Under iCloud options, a user can CHOOSE what they wish to sync, but there is no choice for Call History?

I have NO iCloud backups and it is always turned off and I don't plug the iPhone into a computer (therefore not backing or restoring through iTunes).

You might check with your carrier on this issue. It may be an issue on their end.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I thought about that, I have AT&T. I will contact them about this post the results.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I have contacted AT&T about this matter and of course they state that nothing should be syncing to their servers regarding Apple's software. The rep did create a case report to investigate the matter. I'm pretty sure it's a lost cause on their end. In the next few days I will restore to factory and NOT sign in with my Apple ID and wait a few days to see what syncs. It will stink not syncing contacts, notes, etc? not being able to download apps, but I'll make due. Maybe I'll open another Apple ID just to get me by.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So I did another restore for testing purposes and have concluded that call history in stored within KeyChain. I restored my device and kept KeyChain off for 1 1/2 days, no older history appeared (picture 1). I then enabled KeyChain and within 4 hours (same as before) I was alerted with missed calls from months back and call history reappeared (picture 2). If you look at picture 3, you can see how the dates are so sporadic, skipping days and weeks. It goes from yesterday to November 12, 2015.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

After all this, I "cleared" all call history and disabled KeyChain. I waited a few hours and a few restarts and re-enabled KeyChain. So far it's been 6 hours without call history returning.

Last edited:

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday morning I wiped my 5s and "restored as new" and set it up how I normally would (disabling backup and enabling KeyChain) and no call history has appeared as of now. It has been over 24 hours and usually happened around the 4 hour mark.

At this point, I think it's safe to assume that KeyChain was the culprit. With that said, I believe what I did (noted above) fixed this issue. I will update if anything changes.

Last edited:

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Scratch the above, all the missed calls have just come back. Took 5 days this time!

I'm starting to wonder what Apple's data retention policy is. I have posted this on here and the Apple forums and nobody seems to have a clue about this. I can understand if no one knows a fix, but for everyone to be completely dumbfounded that this even occurs is a little mind blowing.

I dislike Google for all the things they do, but I accept they are transparent for the most part.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro