My iPhone is disabled for 22 million minutes, even after restore/update...what should I do?

thenderson2011

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
iPhone Disabled for 22 million minutes, even after restore/update

I was given a phone from my friend with a cracked screen. I just got it fixed, and when I turned it on, it said the iPhone was disabled for 22 million minutes, and gave me no option to enter the passcode. I then tried to update the software, and it updated, and now it shows only the iPhone disabled screen, with no ability to slide for emergency calls or anything. I'm at a loss as to what to do, I read that the passcode is encrypted to the harddrive on the phone, but I don't know how to even get to where I can try to enter the passcode. What should I do?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone Disabled for 22 million minutes, even after restore/update

If you have a backup of an iPhone you may have owned recently, you may be able to restore that backup to the disabled iPhone and use it. If you do not have a backup, you may be stuck with an unusually device.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

Try asking you friend for the passcode to unlock it =P
Or hand it back to them so they can wipe it (factory reset).

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I was given a phone from my friend with a cracked screen. I just got it fixed, and when I turned it on, it said the iPhone was disabled for 22 million minutes, and gave me no option to enter the passcode. I then tried to update the software, and it updated, and now it shows only the iPhone disabled screen, with no ability to slide for emergency calls or anything. I'm at a loss as to what to do, I read that the passcode is encrypted to the harddrive on the phone, but I don't know how to even get to where I can try to enter the passcode. What should I do?

As long as there's no activation lock situation involved, you can try the DFU recovery.

First of all, make sure that you’re running the latest version if iTunes. Then, just put your device in DFU mode and connect it to your computer/iTunes. It will download the latest iOS and install it for you. Good luck.

How to put your iPhone or iPad into DFU mode | iMore

thenderson2011

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I talked to the girl who gave me the phone, and she told me she never had it unlocked from ATT, but she has another phone through the same number she was using. Will I need to have her grandma call and tell them to unlock it, since she's the actual account owner? And then will I need to take the phone up myself to ATT and have them fix this, or is that even the same situation?

Very frustrating, I paid $100 for a new screen only to get locked out for 40 some years :concern:

Thanks for all your help though. I think I may call ATT and ask them if they can fix it, since the phone came from them, but if I don't have an account with them, would they charge me for that?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I talked to the girl who gave me the phone, and she told me she never had it unlocked from ATT, but she has another phone through the same number she was using. Will I need to have her grandma call and tell them to unlock it, since she's the actual account owner? And then will I need to take the phone up myself to ATT and have them fix this, or is that even the same situation?

Very frustrating, I paid $100 for a new screen only to get locked out for 40 some years :concern:

Thanks for all your help though. I think I may call ATT and ask them if they can fix it, since the phone came from them, but if I don't have an account with them, would they charge me for that?

AT&T is not going to be able to do anything about the lock screen lockout issue, in my opinion. Restoring the device via iTunes is the only way.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
AT&T is not going to be able to do anything about the lock screen lockout issue, in my opinion. Restoring the device via iTunes is the only way.

The OP has been told how to resolve the issue several times in this thread, but he keeps wanting to do it his way... and he's getting the same results - nada. DFU is the ONLY way and then restore from whatever back up he has.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
AT&T's cellular lock on the phone has nothing to do with the lock you're getting in the OS...like others have said, this is going to require a restore in DFU from a legitimate existing backup, otherwise it's just an expensive paper weight.

thenderson2011

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Well, I have tried going through DFU mode, and had no luck. The 22 million minutes part went away, but is still requiring the passcode and the girl said she doesn't know her passcode. I am trying to go backup another iPhone 5s and try to do that, but when I connect the original phone to the computer it doesn't even pop up with anything from the computer saying it's connected.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone is disabled for 22 million minutes, even after restore/update...wha...

Well, I have tried going through DFU mode, and had no luck. The 22 million minutes part went away, but is still requiring the passcode and the girl said she doesn't know her passcode. I am trying to go backup another iPhone 5s and try to do that, but when I connect the original phone to the computer it doesn't even pop up with anything from the computer saying it's connected.

So that means the iCloud activation lock is enabled on the phone, and something tells me you knew it was the activation lock all along. Well, you are definitely out of luck if the person you purchased it from doesn't remember the passcode. Apple, AT&T nor the members here at iMore can help you in that regard. I'm not trying to be mean or unhelpful. I'm just being straightforward.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

She will need her Apple ID to set up after restoring. Without that, there is nothing anyone, including AT&T or Apple, can do.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

If it's activation locked, you are pretty much out of luck. Get "the girl" to give you your money back. Or enjoy your paperweight, as there is NO WAY around this lock, short of entering the correct credentials.

To confirm that there is or is not an active Activation Lock on the phone, either the serial number or IMEI and enter it here. Apple will report the status of the device. (Since it's asking for credentials, my money is on that it's locked via this Apple security measure.)

https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/