iPhone 5s with iOS 8.4 randomly restarting

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Ever since yesterday, my 5s has been restarting randomly. First it was when I was using the WeatherBug app. Today it was when I was googling something on Safari. What should I do to fix this problem? Should I delete the all and my Safari search history with cookies?

I am out of the USA now and I won't be able to go to my local Apple Store in DC (Apple Store Georgetown) until August 14th. My 5s and iPad Air are out of warranty and don't have Apple Care Plus. What fee would the Genius Bar charge for fixing this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Check the App Store to see if your installed apps have been updated to work with iOS 8.4. If not, and if there aren't any available updates for them, I would either stop using them or remove them from your device. Also, go through each and every device settings and check for apps and games that have cellular and background refresh permissions.

aammpp

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
There was a Unicode error that would cause the restart pre-8.4.

8.4 fixed the issue for me but like previous poster said make sure your apps are compatible.

NotEnoughCollies

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
SEE MY NEW POST BELOW>>>>PROBLEM VANSIHED WITH REMOVAL OF SOME APPS!

How can i tell if my apps are compliant with 8.4? or else, how can i revert to 8.3? I tried to sign up for 9 beta, but the log in hangs up on the page where you enter your ID and password. The fields turn to a yellow background and when I press enter it just stays there, same yellow and same text that I endered into the fields. . just re shows the same ID and password and never goes to next page. im stuck with 8.4 i guess, and having horrible self shut down issues. EDIT: I just dumped about half my apps...I hope this fixes the issue.

Last edited:

NotEnoughCollies

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
EDIT Monday 10 August , Still rebooting from time to time. I have no iTunes compliant computer, having several workstation level Linux machines, and one old 32 bit XP service pack 3 Windose... non of which are supported by apple for iTunes, needed to re-configure the phone...I am heading off to the apple store to see if they can revert my 5s to 8.3, that worked just fine..... Cripe....what a waste of time and lost effort!

I found this thread last night and learned that the random resart was caused by apps not compliant with my newly loaded ios8.4....

Well, not knowing what app was the culprit, I dumped a whole buch of them from the phone...not important stuff, just things that I had loaded for free that had some kind of appeal. I left everthing that is important to me intact. ...Bottom line, phone works fine now...no crash, no re-booting! THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Jennifer iPhone 5s ios8.4
"NotEnoughCollies"

Last edited:

NotEnoughCollies

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
spent an afternoon at the Genius bar. The glitch is in the blue tooth system. we did a complete ios reload. phone is still ocassionally boot cycling, a few times a day. one apple employee told me he had to reload the OS 3 times before it ran perfect again... well, mostly its running ok, but i hope when 8.5 or 9.0 updates, these issues will vanish.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox