Is it worth buying an iPhone 5S?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Worth buying iPhone 5S

The iPhone 5S is still a great. It will probably get the iOS 9 update this fall.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I would think the 5s will get iOS 10 next year. It will be a nice phone for a long time.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

I have been pondering this exact same question. I am a Windows Phone user and due to numerous factors I have been considering making the switch to iOS. I have even gone as far as recently purchasing a iPad Mini 3, iPad, and 5th gen iPod. I am on the fence about the iPhone however as I am very confortable with my WP and I simply can't determine if the 5s would suite my needs and wants still. I know that I would not go any lower/ older than the 5s though. If this lady from Clist hits me back about her phone it will be a moot point though.

Sanjay Chandra

May 10, 2014
Visit site

I would recommend you to pick an iPhone 6 because you are already spending much money, Why not get the best one ? Why compromise for an older version ? unless you want a small phone, there is absolutely no reason to pick a 5s.

iPhone 6 is better than 5s in every possible way (except phone size which is subjective).

I am saying this because if you are going to spend $500 on a phone, why bother for $200 difference ? You are going to get the best possible phone in every possible way.

Don't waste your $500 for the sake of $200-300 price difference. Get the best phone.

Most of the times what happens is people get base models and say that experience isn't good. If you want better experience, go for a higher model.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

I find that the 5s is the holy grail of smartphones at this time if you pair it with an  Watch for  Pay there's nothing your missing over the i6

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

The 5s is still a perfectly good phone.

Or you could keep saving and get the 6s later on in this year?

Either way I had the 6, went back to a 5s and I don't regret it.

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

I would say it is still a very very very good phone. I won't upgrade as I love the 5s. I have checked out the 6 and 6+ but prefer the smaller version. I certainly would never say the 6 is better in every way than the 5s. Just not true.

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

Buy a used 6 instead. Imo the 5/5s is to small. All opinion of course so really it's up to you if you want to settle with a small phone.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

by1333

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
It all depends on how much you are going to spend.
if you are getting a used 5s cheap than yes but like some folks said, if you are looking to spend full price or carrier price you are better off getting the 6.
I have 5s and love it with no plans to buy a new unlocked phone.

DO14

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes, it is definetely worth to buy. Probably the best sized smartphone ever and it will also recieve ios 9 update.

yungboi

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
The 5s will be getting software updates for awhile probably up until IOS 11 or 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The 5s will be getting software updates for awhile probably up until IOS 11 or 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it lasts that long (in terms of full updated OS)...the devices are usually relevant to the iOS updates for about 4 generations past their release, but towards the end of that time line, the device meets with restrictions and limitations, yielding only a fraction of the total firmware update (in other words, the device doesn't receive all the functionality of a new iOS version as the years go on).

I'd say safely, just based on historic record, the iPhone 5S will probably enjoy a pretty feature rich iOS 9 update, and then will start declining with iOS 10, probably becoming almost obsolete with iOS 11, and then little to nothing with iOS 12.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Willing to bet it will get iOS 11, too. And without being stripped of features.

It will definitely be stripped of some features. I'm sure it'll still perform fine for at least the next two years. But once Apple releases an iPhone with 2GB of RAM, you'll start noticing iOS needs more than just 1GB.

If I didn't already have an iPhone 5s and was in the market for a new iPhone, I'd have a hard time deciding between the 5s and the 6. On one hand I want the latest and greatest hardware. On the other, I find the 5s much more attractive and easier to hold than the 6.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2