Is it worth buying an iPhone 5S?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Worth buying iPhone 5S

Leaving out opinionated preferences...the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are better in every way compared to the iPhone 5S.

I disagree on just one thing, the durability. Even the manager gave me a discount off replacement out of warranty (Accidental damage, no Applecare) because he did admit the iPhone 6 is more structurally fragile.

I had insurance through my carrier but it would of cost me more plus a super long waiting period.

I do realize people wanted thinner phones but that's still a negative to me when considering how resilient the 5c and 5s appear to be. Just my thoughts.

thunder33cat

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

If I didn't already have an iPhone 5s and was in the market for a new iPhone, I'd have a hard time deciding between the 5s and the 6. On one hand I want the latest and greatest hardware. On the other, I find the 5s much more attractive and easier to hold than the 6.

This.

I have a 6 Plus, but am contemplating "downsizing." I am an avid runner, and spend a lot of time running trails. I carry my phone because I run solo and prefer to have it with me for emergencies. The Plus, while fairly light, is cumbersome - even in a SPIbelt. I know the 6 is a compromise to a certain extent, but I'm beginning to think that going back to the 5s size would be most practical.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I disagree on just one thing, the durability. Even the manager gave me a discount off replacement out of warranty (Accidental damage, no Applecare) because he did admit the iPhone 6 is more structurally fragile.

I had insurance through my carrier but it would of cost me more plus a super long waiting period.

I do realize people wanted thinner phones but that's still a negative to me when considering how resilient the 5c and 5s appear to be. Just my thoughts.

I'm curious though...was this based off damage that was purely visual? Or did it actually cause performance issues as well?

ngc

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Absolutely.

I had an iPhone 5s, then got a BlackBerry Passport (awesome BTW) but I missed to much my iPhone and my apps and everything with it so sold the Passport ans got another 5s.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site

I really like iphone 5s but if you go to apple store it's like $600 for 32gb + tax. No way I am going to pay $600 for 5s. You may find some brand new iphone 5s from ebay for $400ish.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site

Absolutely.

I had an iPhone 5s, then got a BlackBerry Passport (awesome BTW) but I missed to much my iPhone and my apps and everything with it so sold the Passport ans got another 5s.

I also have passport and when I am using iphone I really miss passport lol. I ended up keeping both, but I just hate to swap my sim card so often. Blackberry OS is really nice but doesn't have app like ios.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I believe it is.
I got a 4S for a short while then there was a sale on 5S here so I decided to get it and so far, I could not be happier =)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

JohnQuinn

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Can I re-open this debate? With a new iPhone imminent, how will the iPhone 5 hold out? I've had the iPhone 6 and it's so much better than the iPhone 5 but I had it stolen and I need a replacement. The iphone6 at the minute is significantly more expensive but the iphone5 seems so small now!

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Can I re-open this debate? With a new iPhone imminent, how will the iPhone 5 hold out? I've had the iPhone 6 and it's so much better than the iPhone 5 but I had it stolen and I need a replacement. The iphone6 at the minute is significantly more expensive but the iphone5 seems so small now!

My 5s is awesome. I've been running the iOS 9 public beta with out a problem.

SCORPIO1982

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site

I have had a iphone 5s for a long time and would buy it again if the one I have ever was to break it is a great phone and does everything I need or want a phone to do, I never have had any problems with the phone just the carrier I have has issues every once in awhile //

aballerdotcom

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

The 5s is still a perfectly good phone.

Or you could keep saving and get the 6s later on in this year?

Either way I had the 6, went back to a 5s and I don't regret it.

This is actually the way to go. I'll keep my 5s for a while. The 6s really needs huge improvements in order for me to consider using my upgrade for one.

aballerdotcom

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

I say it depends on who you ask. In your instance you already had a 6 so you know what it is like.
In my situation my sister has the 6 and her husband has the 6+. I have the 5s. I don't know first hand what the 6 is like so I see no need to use my upgrade right now. I'm looking to be wow'd and not just settling for my next phone. I don't want to upgrade just to upgrade any more.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
@carlosslpmx
@JohnQuinn

The 6S is ready for pre-order today and available in store on the 25th.
So you guys might want to wait until then and get a 6/6+ as they will be discounted (announced on September 9th, $100 off on every variant).

But yep, still worth it!
I had one, brand new, in June but I still wanted to change for a 6 =P

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Well, I got a 1 month old Gold iPhone 5S in excellent shape for $280. Updated to OS9 last night. So far, so good. Trying to remember how to get around this OS again but it's coming back slowly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal