Why doesn't my IPhone 5S get voicemail notifications or visual voicemail?

JackieB41052

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
IPhone 5S No voicemail notifications or visual voicemail.

I'm having problems getting my voicemail. I called Consumer Cellular and they had me to do a reset network. That worked long enough to get one message then went back to not working. Airplane mode is NOT on and I am connected to wifi at home. Even if I have to get voicemail the old way, that would be fine, but I get no notifications that I even have a voicemail. What's up with that? Anyone have a problem like that?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: IPhone 5S No voicemail notifications or visual voicemail.

It's an issue you have to deal with your service provider to resolve.

missy8787

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site

My iPhone 6 plus was doing that for awhile then with the 8.3 update it started working again

JackieB41052

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
My provider is telling me it's an iPhone problem, iPhone is telling me it's a provider problem. It would be a provider problem if I couldn't get voice mail, but I can get voicemail. I an't get notification of voicemail, sounds like a phone problem to me. You pay $500 for a damn phone, it ought to work correctly!

JackieB41052

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

Don't think you know what you're talking about, they provide me with voicemail, should be up to this $550 phone to let me know I have one. Provider says it's a phone problem, you ay it's a provider problem. I think YOU are wrong.

Cogidubnus

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I know this is an old issue, but I've been doing a lot of research in this area recently and have seen a lot of similar problems, so wanted to spread some knowledge.
Receiving the notification is a feature provided by your service provider - it's called a MWI (Message Waiting Indicator). Generally it requires a bind between their voicemail server and their SMSC so that the notification can be passed to your phone over the SMS network.
In general, these are sent as "push" notifications - the server informs your phone you have a voicemail. This is what allows your phone to produce an alert/notification even when it is locked and the voicemail app isn't running.

Essentially, if you're having issues with this, but can still access your voicemail, then you should push back to your service provider using the above details to sound like you know what you're talking about :cool:

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I know this is an old issue, but I've been doing a lot of research in this area recently and have seen a lot of similar problems, so wanted to spread some knowledge.
Receiving the notification is a feature provided by your service provider - it's called a MWI (Message Waiting Indicator). Generally it requires a bind between their voicemail server and their SMSC so that the notification can be passed to your phone over the SMS network.
In general, these are sent as "push" notifications - the server informs your phone you have a voicemail. This is what allows your phone to produce an alert/notification even when it is locked and the voicemail app isn't running.

Essentially, if you're having issues with this, but can still access your voicemail, then you should push back to your service provider using the above details to sound like you know what you're talking about :cool:

iPhone Visual Voicemail needs to be provisioned on the customer account. iPhone Visual Voicemail also requires a back end Visual Voicemail server on the phone company's end. If they don't have one, a customer's iPhone will only receive regular voicemail, with no way for the phone app to indicate any number of messages received.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73